PDA

View Full Version : ARA Meeting in Vegas

Michael Gonzales
01-31-2015, 9:03 AM
Well the wife and I had fun. We made some good contacts and met vendors we did not know. We are pretty new and did not feel new in the training classes. The training classes seemed pretty basic. What do y'all think of those things?

Mark Sipes
01-31-2015, 11:49 AM
I've been twice in 20 years. both within the first 5 years of starting my business. They were very good for determining which processes to get involved in as a business. I believe there was an in depth structure of classes that covered the spectrum for the awards field. It was a week long show with classes only in the first couple days. I think that has been paired down to what you saw at the current show, the basics. A good place to meet all the players of the awards business and get on their mailing/catalog lists.

Tell us more about what you saw.....

Michael Gonzales
01-31-2015, 2:20 PM
I've been twice in 20 years. both within the first 5 years of starting my business. They were very good for determining which processes to get involved in as a business. I believe there was an in depth structure of classes that covered the spectrum for the awards field. It was a week long show with classes only in the first couple days. I think that has been paired down to what you saw at the current show, the basics. A good place to meet all the players of the awards business and get on their mailing/catalog lists.

Tell us more about what you saw.....

It was a very well organized show. There were 1600 people expected there and from the looks of it, they showed up. The classes I went to were mainly to learn more of CorelDraw. JDS showed how many were disappointed with x7. I did take away some useful information, so to me, it was worth it. There were so many vendors they had to fit them in two large rooms. It looked like it emptied the supply warehouses. JDS, Epilog, Universal, Thompson, and Marco. were well represented there. Each one had both sides of an aisle. The contacts we made were the biggest help. We are in an industry of helpful people. OK, the ones I have talked to so far have, very nice. There is some cutting edge products out there. They have a new printer and paper that allow you to put a logo of anything on anything. It is something that is heat pressed on. You can't sublimate white. This printer has the color white. Every vendor brought there latest stuff.2015 has some cool trophies and plaques coming out. There was a printer that would print on golf balls and curved objects, at 25K. There were many vendors that were getting you the info on what to sell their stuff and we could make 40%. It took a few hours to look at it all.

Jeanette Brewer
02-03-2015, 9:39 AM
Michael,

Glad you enjoyed the show! I was very pleased with the attendance (full disclosure: I was the 2014-15 ARA President) and the few education sessions I was able to attend. Did you have a chance to sit in on the advanced Corel class that Roy & Randy taught on Wednesday morning?

Brian Leavitt
02-03-2015, 10:12 AM
I want to go to one of these shows, but I can't travel across the country to do so. I wish there was a larger show out here in the Mid-Atlantic area.

Jeanette Brewer
02-03-2015, 10:27 AM
Stay posted. Typically, the association offers a regional show. Later this year, the Great Lakes Awards & Personalization Expo will be held in Toledo. I know the Trade Show Committee will be looking at the east coast (among other areas) for 2016 & beyond....

Michael Gonzales
02-03-2015, 8:04 PM
Michael,

Glad you enjoyed the show! I was very pleased with the attendance (full disclosure: I was the 2014-15 ARA President) and the few education sessions I was able to attend. Did you have a chance to sit in on the advanced Corel class that Roy & Randy taught on Wednesday morning?

Jeanette,
We really went to the wrong sessions after the first day. We had a blast out in Vegas. We made some good contacts. We really are excited with what is out there from a vendor support standpoint and product selection. I wish all the vendors could put all the catalogs on CDs to take home...we doubled the weight of our luggage. They sessions we picked were pretty basic on Tuesday and Wednesday. We have been to some of your sessions that you, Randy and your dad had put on and they were very informative. We practiced and learned from what you guys showed us. I wish we went to Roy and Randy's. You looked terrific and did a great job kicking off the Gala. Is Roy and Randy going to the one in Ohio?

Scott Shepherd
02-03-2015, 8:18 PM
I want to go to one of these shows, but I can't travel across the country to do so. I wish there was a larger show out here in the Mid-Atlantic area.

For some reason, the big shows aren't aware there is a Mid-Atlantic. Why we (East Coast) get ignored by every major convention is something I haven't worked out yet. NBM doesn't cut it for us, too small, too much small stuff, everyone brings little bitty stuff and so much of it's geared towards "Start your own home bases business and make millions".

I really wish a big show would come to Northern VA, Baltimore, or even Philly, but I'm not holding my breath.

David Somers
02-03-2015, 9:05 PM
Scott! You need to switch to Wood Turning! AAW (American Association of Woodturners) has a terrific symposium every year that wanders around to different parts of the country every year. They even made it to St Louis, MO one year, Richmond, VA another, and Portland, OR another. Well worth changing careers for!!

<grin>

Dave

Jeanette Brewer
02-04-2015, 10:17 AM
Is Roy and Randy going to the one in Ohio?

Our association's Education Committee will be putting together the education program for the "Great Lakes" show in the near future. I've never know Roy OR Randy to say know if the association asks them to speak! ;)

Outside of that, though, since it's a regional show and Ohio is so far outside our territory, I doubt they'll be there.

We are in the process of scheduling that same Randy/Roy seminar in the Houston area, late July. If you're not on our newsletter list, sign up (can't put a link here but just go to our website & click on the "newsletter sign up" button) to stay posted!