PDA

View Full Version : Any info on John Deere LT 180?

Gilbert Vega
01-31-2015, 2:25 AM
There's a 2003 LT 180 with 300 hrs and looking very clean for sale for $1450. I could find much info on it. Is this a good price?

Wayne Lovell
01-31-2015, 7:07 AM
Deere is real proud of green paint.

Rick Moyer
01-31-2015, 8:45 AM
You should go look at tractorforum dot com for info. I don't know anything specific to that model. I will say that you need to assess your needs and select a tractor based on those needs, e.g., are you pulling a trailer, ground-engaging, have lots of hills, tec.

Jim Becker
01-31-2015, 10:31 AM
Tractor by net dot com is another excellent tractor resource just like SMC is the bee's knees for woodworking... ;)

Mike Cutler
01-31-2015, 11:49 AM
There's a 2003 LT 180 with 300 hrs and looking very clean for sale for $1450. I could find much info on it. Is this a good price?

Yes it is. It isn't a "steal", but it's a good price. You don't say what comes with it, but anything other than the deck makes it an even better deal.
I have an John Deere X540, and it's a little beast. They're expensive, but when you need a part, you can get one. This is not true of a lot of other tractors out there. In my case, Honda.:mad:

Johnny plow make a series of attachments for the LT 180 that would let you get some more functionality out of it. Specifically the hydraulic loader/ front blade.( I don't think you need a snow plow for it in Texas. ;) )

Randy Red Bemont
01-31-2015, 2:09 PM
Here is a link to many LT 180 tractors to give you an idea of value. Looks like a nice tractor. I had the LT 166 and it was a fantastic tractor. I only sold it because I was moving south at the time and did not need it.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.aspx?manu=JOHN+DEERE&mdltxt=LT180

Red

Gilbert Vega
01-31-2015, 5:57 PM
Johnny plow make a series of attachments for the LT 180 that would let you get some more functionality out of it. Specifically the hydraulic loader/ front blade.( I don't think you need a snow plow for it in Texas. ;) )

Is Johnny plow a business? Have a link? Signed up to the tractor forum.
Thanks

Kevin Bourque
01-31-2015, 6:19 PM
I have worked on loads of JD tractors big and small.

The LT180 had serious transmission problems. They weren't "serviceable" Customers would run them for 200-300 hours before they started slipping and John Deere doesn't sell replacements. You have to buy an aftermarket rebuild kit and they are very expensive. I forget all the specifics, but you should do a search to get the whole story.

Gilbert Vega
01-31-2015, 7:27 PM
Thanks
Kevin, that's good to know. Calls for more research.

Tom M King
01-31-2015, 9:46 PM
Too new for me to know anything about it. Mine is a 2640. It was more than 15 years old when I bought it 15 years ago. I love that tractor.

Rick Moyer
02-01-2015, 9:37 AM
I have worked on loads of JD tractors big and small.

The LT180 had serious transmission problems. They weren't "serviceable" Customers would run them for 200-300 hours before they started slipping and John Deere doesn't sell replacements. You have to buy an aftermarket rebuild kit and they are very expensive. I forget all the specifics, but you should do a search to get the whole story.
That's why I went with a garden tractor as opposed to a lawn tractor, even though I don't use ground engaging attachments. I wanted a better framed, better serviceable transmission. Of course you have to pay more, or in my case buy significantly older. (345 owner)

Bill Huber
02-01-2015, 11:58 AM
I don't know anything about the LT 180, I think Deere has changed a lot over the paste years.

In 1984 I bought a 1978, 316 and used it up until 2005 when I move to a smaller place, and it only let me down once, the coil went bad.
I sold it to the people that bought my old place and he had the engine rebuilt and it is still going today.