PDA

View Full Version : Allstate Directory

Keith Outten
01-30-2015, 6:39 AM
I just completed this black Corian directory for a local Allstate Insurance agency. This one included several gold inserts so my customer can change the directory to suit.
Lots of polishing time which is why I rarely use black Corian. You can see from the reflection from the shop lights this one is close to a mirror finish.

I have not been able to get a picture of this directory after it was installed yet. The is so much light in the foyer where it was installed I will have to find a suitable time of day and try again.

Scott Shepherd
01-30-2015, 8:40 AM
Looks great Keith!

Paul Phillips
01-30-2015, 11:29 AM
That's a nice high polish Keith, may I ask how fine of a grit you went down to, to get that? I've found that using 0000 steel wool after 600 grit paper gives just the right sheen on dark colors without having to spend too much time on it, at least for large projects.

Tom Klass
01-30-2015, 12:37 PM
nice work Keith!!

Keith Outten
01-30-2015, 4:25 PM
Thanks Steve and Tom

Paul,

I started at 80 grit and went to 2000 grit with sanding paper on my ROS. I then used a white 3M pad on my ROS with plastic polish. The white 3M pad and polish really does the job, the hard part on this one was polishing the edges and the small rounded corners in the windows, I used buffing compound for these areas.

I'll get better pictures ASAP and share them.

Mike Null
01-31-2015, 7:32 AM
Keith

Very nice work. Did you use sublimated metal for the inserts or engraved plastic laminate?

Keith Outten
01-31-2015, 10:16 AM
Mike,

I used LaserMax engravers plastic for the inserts. For new directories I prefer engravers plastic because its easy to match the color and style when its time to make changes.

When I have to make replacement inserts for an existing building directory I often use dye-sublimated aluminum for the new inserts. Its less expensive to make all new inserts rather than trying to match inserts from a Gerber machine or other style inserts. I can get pretty close to an existing color or custom style using a printed dye-sub color bar.