PDA

View Full Version : First segmented turning.

Shawn Crane Davies
01-29-2015, 9:53 PM
This is my first segmented turning attempt.

Things I screwed up:

1. Chisel caught the inner rim, tore out, so the shape wasn't as clever as I wanted it to be.

2. Two of the pieces on the top ring, their grain direction doesn't match consecutively with the others.

3. The lacewood block size is kind of obnoxious.

4. Titebond III instead of white glue, an ever so slight visible glue line.

Lacewood, holly, walnut, and African blackwood make up this piece. I had fun and will enjoy trying it again. Now I know what to do with all my cutoffs! Cheers.

Blair Swing
01-29-2015, 11:40 PM
Shawn, turners never make mistakes, we simply develop opportunities to go in a different direction than previously planned!

you can see my first segmented piece on a post earlier today and we all have them but learning from the opportunities is what keeps it fun and if it was easy kids would do it... Oh wait I did do mine when 12... Keep trying and though I am not enamoured with the form, I do like that it wasn't ordinary, and the flow looking down from the top is cool.

Kevin Wolfe
01-30-2015, 5:52 AM
The wood choices are great looking but what's the handle in the middle for? Or am asking a really obvious question?

Jon Nuckles
01-30-2015, 12:56 PM
I like the top view as well. If you had not done such a nice job aligning the grain on the rest of the pieces, the two reversed ones wouldn't be a problem. Looking forward to seeing your next one.

Shawn Crane Davies
01-30-2015, 5:28 PM
The wood choices are great looking but what's the handle in the middle for? Or am asking a really obvious question?Hi Kevin. The finial (handle) was just a decorative piece. It was a surprise candy dish for my girlfriend, looked alright with the finial sticking out of the chocolates.