PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Scews

Donnie Raines
07-26-2005, 9:34 AM
I am attaching an arbor to our walkway leading to the back of our house. I am useing the appropriate bit for the screws that I am useing. As I drive the screw in, I get about half way through and it binds up...almost like I hit the bottom. I am drilling 1/2 inch beyond the size of the screw and I am blowing out(with compressor) the dust/debris.

Any tips on driving these things in???? I have 4 installed and have 12 more to go..... :eek:

Mark Singer
07-26-2005, 9:45 AM
Donnie,
I have used the blue Topcon screws ....they come with the correct bit and are still difficult to drive. Try blowing the dust out with a compressor

Donnie Raines
07-26-2005, 9:47 AM
Hi Mark,

Thats what I am useing as well. I have used them before and did not recall them being so difficult....oh well...a few more blisters and I should have them in... :rolleyes:

Chris Padilla
07-26-2005, 5:03 PM
Donnie,

It could be that you are hitting some larger/harder rock within the concrete or just some harder layer in the concrete. The Tapcon screw will have a harder time chewing through it. I've broken Tapcon screws before...twisted the head right off it. Really, uh, upset me quite a bit if you get my drift! :)

Try a big 1/2" ratchet to save your palm/hand if you are using a socket driver. Also, to avoid breaking the screw, back it out (like you are tapping threads) and keep the hole clean. It could take some time and you might still break the darn screw....

Randy Moore
07-26-2005, 6:34 PM
Donnie,

I use the Blue Tapcons and put liquid soap on the screws, they go in a lot easier.

Randy

Mark Singer
07-26-2005, 7:59 PM
Lard works well also....or schmaltz...if you can find some:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
07-26-2005, 8:26 PM
....or schmaltz...if you can find some

Check with your local chopped liver factory... ;)

Randy Meijer
07-26-2005, 11:34 PM
Why not just use some sort of lead or expanding anchor?? I've never had any difficulties with those!!

Bill Lewis
07-27-2005, 6:42 AM
I've had it with Tapcon screws. The last time I tried to use them, I had 3 out of 4 twist off only half a turn from tight. The appeal is that you only have to drill a small hole for the screw, not a big hole for an anchor. Good idea, but frustraing as all. One of these days I will own a real hammer drill like a Hilti.

Donnie Raines
07-27-2005, 8:24 AM
Why not just use some sort of lead or expanding anchor?? I've never had any difficulties with those!!

I considered you useing those...but the gent at the local hardware said that the Tapcon can secure a greater amount then the anchor.

Randy Meijer
07-27-2005, 2:52 PM
Has anyone ever contacted Tapcon and asked them how to deal with the problem of screws twisting off??

Donnie Raines
07-27-2005, 2:53 PM
Has anyone ever contacted Tapcon and asked them how to deal with the problem of screws twisting off??

...that makes to much sense..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Per Swenson
07-27-2005, 5:00 PM
Donnie,

I have drawers full of Tapcons.

Only because I can't throw anything away.

Sure they are OK if you only need one or two.

But any more then that , the odds of failure

increase accordingly.

99% of our concrete attachment is now

done with hilti products.

I am very fond of these bolts.
http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-16193

Per

Chris Padilla
07-27-2005, 7:07 PM
One of these days I will own a real hammer drill like a Hilti.

I have a Milwaukee...love that sucker!

For the Tapcon screws, they should probably make the shank bigger but then that takes away from the small hole you need to drill. Well, I don't need to use them a lot so I'm okay I guess but I might be searching for alternatives in the future....

Hilti rocks...they are pricier but if they don't break, they are probably worth it...

Jim Marshall
07-28-2005, 12:05 AM
I have tried the Tapcon screws also and didn't have much luck with them. What I have been doing is drill a hole the size of a deck screw, cut a single strand of #12 romax with the insulation left on the wire. Stick the wire all the way into the hole, leaving a little of the wire sticking out of the hole. Attach what ever you want to the wall using the deck screws. You will not be able to pull the screw out of the wall, they will hold. They go in easy with a battery powered drill also. Give it a try and see what you thing of it. Jim

Donnie Raines
07-28-2005, 8:19 AM
Donnie,

I have drawers full of Tapcons.

Only because I can't throw anything away.

Sure they are OK if you only need one or two.

But any more then that , the odds of failure

increase accordingly.

99% of our concrete attachment is now

done with hilti products.

I am very fond of these bolts.
http://www.us.hilti.com/holus/modules/prcat/prca_navigation.jsp?OID=-16193

Per

Do you find that the Hilti product hold as well as the Tapcon?