PDA

View Full Version : Recomendations please.....hand truck!

George Farra
01-29-2015, 9:21 PM
Hi All,

I need a new hand truck. Need one that can make traversing stairs easier. My workshop is in the basement. I've been using a pretty simple style but i know there are some out there that make handling a staircase much easier.

Any recommendations in the under $200 price range?? Thanks

George

Mac McQuinn
01-29-2015, 9:34 PM
I would look on the used market for a "Magliner". These were made in Pinconning, Michigan and are light, well built and very durable. I've never seen one break and we were very hard on them in the plants. I've seen them for $100-130 for privately owned, clean examples.
Good luck,
Mac

Matt Day
01-29-2015, 9:35 PM
What I've always used is the relatively cheap standard pneumatic tire handtruck. If it's too heavy for two people (one up top and one poor sole below), I suggest renting a battery powered stair climber/ascender - they're awesome. I brought my 600lb+ bandsaw down with it and will gladly rent it again. Cost about $60/day I think.

The next time I move machinery I'll likely be moving, so I'll surely rent it again for that.

Tom M King
01-29-2015, 9:43 PM
I just bought another one this past weekend. We move big tools a far amount, from one job to another. It comes from Tractor Supply, and is huge. It has 16" diameter tires, and rolls right up stairs. When I first saw them a few years ago in the store, I thought why in the world would anyone need one of those monsters. We had to move everything into an old house across a long flagstone walkway, and couldn't get the loader anywhere near the house. The guys don't want to use anything else, even for light loads now. I'll see if I can find the link.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/hand-truck-1000-lb-capacity

An appliance truck handles stairs great, but the wheels are so small, that they are not much use on anything but a smooth floor.

George Farra
01-29-2015, 9:46 PM
Thanks guys. I'm speculating that the bigger the tire the easier it traverses obstacles. Though, have to admit, the battery powered stair climber is really tempting!!

Matt Day
01-29-2015, 9:51 PM
Tom, just curious but with wheels that big does a heavy load tend to get away from you going downstairs?

George Farra
01-29-2015, 10:21 PM
i just thinking the same thing. Going up the stairs it must ROCK, but going down the stairs, i can see it how it can get away from you. U-Haul has a 700lb capacity hand truck w/ 10" tires for $70 and I can pick up locally. Gonna give that a try, worst case I return it and get the behemoth fro tractor supply

Thanks guys

John Donhowe
01-30-2015, 12:40 AM
For going up and down stairs, what you need is an appliance dolly. Small wheels, but what helps doing the stairs are the belts on pulleys that project slightly from the back of the frame. The belts role along the stair treads.

Ted Calver
01-30-2015, 11:12 AM
For going up and down stairs, what you need is an appliance dolly. Small wheels, but what helps doing the stairs are the belts on pulleys that project slightly from the back of the frame. The belts role along the stair treads.

John has it. I have this one from Harbor Freight and it does the job...very heavy duty for the money:
http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-appliance-hand-truck-65687.html

Tom M King
01-30-2015, 1:20 PM
I have two really big strong guys that work for me. All three of us love this thing though. I do agree with the appliance truck being better on stairs for a heavy load. It depends on the muscle behind either though. I have used a 4x4 across the door opening at the top of the stairs, and a pulley, rope, and descender for safety. I've also used a multi-purchase block and tackle (sailboat mainsheet system) to help pull a heavy load upstairs.

Be safe.

CPeter James
01-30-2015, 5:32 PM
I have one of these and have moved lots of heavy machines with it. I like the convertible feature. It came from Sams Club for $80.

CPeter

Fred Heenie
01-31-2015, 7:14 AM
Large wheels are good but stairs being the operational word, stair climbers will be important. The appliance dolly is made for refrigerators and large boxes and smooth surfaces but not an easy tool to use for case work although fitted with stair climbers. Someone suggested a mag liner and that would be my choice WITH stair climbers and a P handle. I don't know about posting an image here but Google stair climbers and find a mag liner or similar. My "reefer dolly" is a space pain when no reefer needs to be moved.

george newbury
01-31-2015, 8:07 AM
And those belts can make it priceless. I bought one back in '84 and have probably moved way more than I should have. I put full sized freezer on it and esentially winched it upstairs coming out of the basement.

I have one of these and have moved lots of heavy machines with it. I like the convertible feature. It came from Sams Club for $80.

CPeter

And I bought one like that from HD when I retired. Big tires do fair on stairs and the conversion feature is GREAT when moving lots of boxes on the flat. I've piled mine up to about 6' high w/ 3 stacks of library books.

I couldn't see getting by with only one of them.

Rich Tesoroni
01-31-2015, 12:58 PM
I bought this exact vending machine dolly off CL for $125. 1,200 lb capacity, kick out support wheels. Great dolly

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_21082_21082

Rich

Tom M King
01-31-2015, 2:39 PM
I was looking for the conversion wheels for my big truck, and found these that would be good to have for an appliance hand truck: http://www.hayneedle.com/product/wescosuperwheel.cfm?redirect=false&source=pla&kwid=HandTrucks%20high&tid=WES064-1&adtype=pla&kw=&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=WES064-1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAl7KmBRDW6s-Xi_uT9OgBEiQAZdbbSaJ89b0q0308iTFqvvrBpcatCOs7kHcOq QswCYi1aYkaAgrc8P8HAQ

george newbury
02-01-2015, 10:58 AM
http://www.sears.com/milwaukee-hand-truck-800-lb-capacity-2-way-convertible/p-00987611000P?redirectType=SRDT&sid=IAx20050830x000545&aff=Y&PID=4485850&AID=11034749

Sears 800 lb convertible handtruck for $50
/edit Milwaulkee brand