PDA

View Full Version : Uncle!! Spellcheck for posts?

Kent A Bathurst
01-29-2015, 6:55 PM
I can't figger it out. Must be here somewhere? Or, is everyone else more meticulsousoiusk than I with their spelling?

Dave Lehnert
01-29-2015, 7:00 PM
I use Firefox . When you spell a word wrong, it will underline it in red .

Spell-check is a feature of Firefox, not the forum.

Bert Kemp
01-29-2015, 7:01 PM
it has spell check when you spell wrong its underlined in red, right clic on it an a list of optional spellings will pop open just clic the right one , of course that won't help if you can't recognize the right spelling:p

Matt Day
01-29-2015, 7:54 PM
Safari will autocorrect or underline if it has no idea what you're trying to say. Autocorrect is great most of the time.

Ole Anderson
01-29-2015, 8:02 PM
Yea, spellcheck is built into the reply box, can it be disabled? Although I suppose possibly the browser takes over there. So it could depend on your browser? I use IE 11.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-29-2015, 8:02 PM
I use Firefox . When you spell a word wrong, it will underline it in red .

Spell-check is a feature of Firefox, not the forum.

Ditto with Chrome.

Judson Green
01-29-2015, 8:33 PM
Between chrome, predictive text and voice dictation I can usually get it.

Using a tablet.

Kent A Bathurst
01-29-2015, 8:58 PM
OK, guys -

I have Chrome, FWIW.

I was not getting the red underline for misspelled words. But, I just did a right click, and I guess by doing that, I enabled spellcheck.

Now I'm going to rummage around a bit more to see about click-to-sub the correct word.

Thanks

Kent

Judson Green
01-29-2015, 9:09 PM
OK maybe its not chrome doing it for me, I'm not getting the red underline either.

Dave Zellers
01-29-2015, 9:41 PM
Autocorrect is great most of the time.

Autocorrect is my new worst enema.

Sam Murdoch
01-29-2015, 11:15 PM
Safari will autocorrect or underline if it has no idea what you're trying to say. Autocorrect is great most of the time.

:D :eek: I hate the autocorrect! I find that I need to very carefully read my posts (or e-mails or whatever) as the auto will choose a word closer to the misspelling than to my intent and I often end up with very bad results. I prefer spell checks that simply highlight and ALLOW ME to correct rather than assuming. We all know what assume means!

But to Kent's question I think the spell check will be in your browser and not come from the forum.

Ha Ha - Dave's post above (written while I replied ) is a perfect case making my point. :D

Kent A Bathurst
01-30-2015, 12:35 AM
OK maybe its not chrome doing it for me, I'm not getting the red underline either.

Judson - pick any post and go to reply. Type some words that are reasonably close to those used by Packers fans. Then hover around that and right click. Spell-checker options. Make sure the English button is clicked [assuming that's close enough to what youse guys talk] and the Check Spelling option is checked. IIRC - they were already that way when I peeked, but just peeking made it work. Just like those galaxy-remote subatomic particles, where the mere act of looking at one makes the other change.

It looks like we may have to do this with each post - not sure - got sidetracked in my research.

Judson Green
01-30-2015, 5:24 AM
Kent, I'm using a tablet. Android system. No right clicking.

"Youse guys" lol, added it to my spell check dictionary.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-30-2015, 9:53 AM
Kent, I'm using a tablet. Android system. No right clicking.

"Youse guys" lol, added it to my spell check dictionary.

Try Swiftkey on the tablet.

Tom Stenzel
01-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Autocorrect is my new worst enema.

^---THAT is the funniest thing I've read in a long time!

Really though if SMC had a spell check it would screen out words like *****, *********, ****, ***** and the ever popular ************! Would make life for the mods easier.

-Tom

Kent A Bathurst
01-31-2015, 3:35 PM
My life has changed for the better. I get the red underlines and I can right click on the offender to get the suggested spelling.

Ima buy me a beer to celebrate.

Thanks, all

Now - back to your regularly scheduled programming....................