PDA

View Full Version : Persimmon wood supplier?

Tony Shea
01-29-2015, 5:59 PM
Does anyone here have any idea where to buy some persimmon that would be suitable for some plane making purposes? Mostly I would like at least a small amount to use for some boxing on a couple side escapement planes I have planned. But I would also like to get enough to potentially add a hard wearing sole on a krenov style plane that I have sitting in an unfinished state due to the fact I became more interested in traditional style planes. But I still plan on completing and using this Krenov plane.

Paul Sidener
01-29-2015, 6:28 PM
I don't see it to often by me. I'm not sure I would use it for planes. It wears well but it has a tendency to shrink a lot.

Larry Frank
01-29-2015, 8:25 PM
Try ebay ... there are some for sale there

Joe A Faulkner
01-29-2015, 10:04 PM
Bonesteel Mill and Molding here in Indiana, but I don't know if you can get him to ship to Maine.

Al Weber
01-30-2015, 8:07 AM
Bagdad Mill in Bagdad, KY shows it on their website. Shipping?

Cliff Ober
02-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Does anyone here have any idea where to buy some persimmon that would be suitable for some plane making purposes? Mostly I would like at least a small amount to use for some boxing on a couple side escapement planes I have planned. But I would also like to get enough to potentially add a hard wearing sole on a krenov style plane that I have sitting in an unfinished state due to the fact I became more interested in traditional style planes. But I still plan on completing and using this Krenov plane.

Tony, lignum and vera wood also work well and may be more readily available.

Cliff

Robert Norman
02-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Forgive a stupid question:
Has anyone tried Ipe for boxing?

jamie shard
02-02-2015, 9:10 AM
I've got two vintage snipes bill planes which are missing some boxwood boxing. My plan is to restore them, so I'm watching this thread with great interest...

Bill White
02-02-2015, 12:09 PM
I have a bunch of it in my attic. Rough sawn and dry. The trees were killed by root compaction when we built out home.
How much do you need, what thickness (this is about 4/4), and my widths are about 4-5".
I'm in Mississippi so shipping quantities might be an issue. If you need small pieces, the flat rate boxes might be a possibility.
PM me if you like.
bill@magraphics.us
Bill

bill tindall
02-07-2015, 6:17 PM
I have some I would be delighted to be rid of bjtindal@mindspring.com

Maurice Ungaro
02-07-2015, 6:27 PM
And there you go, the Power of The Creek!