PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro Bootcamp Win 8.1 USB Epilog Driver Issue

chris szlachetka
01-29-2015, 1:19 PM
I'm at the point where I'm getting sick of having to play musical chairs with the USB's and think it's time to hammer down the issues. Here's what's going on

- Turn my MBP laptop computer on (holding option for Win Boot camp) and start Win 8.1
- Open Corel Draw
- Plug USB from Epilog 40w Mini 24 & turn on
- open the print and driver window and let the games begin !

Under Printers I see the local printer I setup using the correct Epilog driver & instructions. However when I plug the USB in I also see an Unspecified hard drive looking icon pop up. This icon has a ! hazard sign at the bottom left corner of the icon. If I unplug the laser USB only this icon disappears, the other setup for USB #002 remains. So my morning routine has been plug it in, take it, play with the driver enable button, switching the port numbers from USB #001 back to USB #001, etc... Really anything that will get my computer to recognize it.

I've read a few other people with my current setup and seem to have no issues. Any advice or tricks please let me know ! I'm pulling my hair out trying to get these machines to play nice.

Thank you
Chris

John Noell
01-29-2015, 1:23 PM
I found fewer problems using Ethernet rather than USB. However, this was on a PC not a Mac so YMMV.

chris szlachetka
01-31-2015, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the reply, might give that a try!! I would still like to understand what's going on if anyone knows...

Chris Corwin
01-31-2015, 8:56 AM
Maybe windows is recognizing the engraver as a hard drive? See what device manager says about the hard drive and see if device manager recognizes the laser as a laser.

I have 0 experience with win8 only 7 and below.

John Noell
01-31-2015, 1:01 PM
I have 0 experience with win8 only 7 and below. You are fortunate. :) However, after using the Win 10 tech preview I am totally convinced that Win 10 is going to be really good.

Chris Corwin
01-31-2015, 1:09 PM
If I were the original poster, I would be running windows in a virtual machine so I can run my Mac apps at the same time. You can also run multiple versions of windows at the same time.

This is what I do on my MacBook Pro for the last 5 years. Max flexibility

chris szlachetka
01-31-2015, 2:09 PM
"Maybe windows is recognizing the engraver as a hard drive? See what device manager says about the hard drive and see if device manager recognizes the laser as a laser.

I have 0 experience with win8 only 7 and below."

Yes, I believe this is the issue. It goes away once I patch them together by going into the properties and clicking share ports or checking the USB it's plugged into (the one I setup the printer driver for). Well, after a few times of playing around clicking things until the computer/machine gets it.

How I can I tell my computer or the laser that this is what I want to use permanently ?

chris szlachetka
01-31-2015, 2:25 PM
"If I were the original poster, I would be running windows in a virtual machine so I can run my Mac apps at the same time. You can also run multiple versions of windows at the same time.

This is what I do on my MacBook Pro for the last 5 years. Max flexibility"

Yes, we use parallels for all of our other CAD/CAM programs with zero issues. Unfortunately Parallels won't work with the laser at all and is why we're using boot camp. Orginally we were told by Jacksons Epilog Inc that the new Mac drivers would work with all Macs and is what got us to sign the papers. It was click bait and think they really need to work on better advertising or just make the driver available for all machines. Honestly I'm not even gonna go there with this company or whatever you want to call them. They need to be retrained ... No jokes, hope Epilog is reading this. They were nice, but not very clued in on what they're selling. It's been a struggle trying to get this software to work, not to mention the first machine we received was a ----. After replacing the laser tube and realigning the optics so far everything has been good to go... for now So the promised easy plug & play we were sold isn't the case and has been a real hassle to even get the machine to work. I've taken time off from our business just to try and get this machine to work... Sorry if I'm coming off as a complaininer, we're just very disappointed, annoyed, frustrated at this point. If I wanted these problems I couldn't just bought one used, and is why we didn't.

So if anyone can help us solve this issue, that would be super awesome !

Dee Gallo
01-31-2015, 10:12 PM
I use a Mac with my Epilog and prefer Bootcamp as Parallels was very buggy in my opinion. You must use Ethernet, and get rid of the USB connectors. They are terrible and totally unreliable.

chris szlachetka
02-01-2015, 2:20 PM
Thank you Dee & John, plugging this in as we speak ! Report back if I see any issues.

chris szlachetka
02-01-2015, 7:18 PM
I'm having zero luck with the Ethernet "crossover" cable. Everything has been setup as instructed in the guides... I've tried drivers Epilog Engravers 902 & the most recent 905 Epilog Engravers WinX64. In the print & devices menu I see the Epilog Engraver icon. Randomly writing letters in Notepad to test if the Epilog machine is connected, I'm seeing no file in the job window. If I look into the printer queue, the job/file just says printing until I get the error Printer message.

Dee are you using Windows 8.1 ?

chris szlachetka
02-02-2015, 4:49 PM
For anyone reading this thread and having the same issues. Called Epilog today and got the IP wiz on the phone. We basically had to open the windows command prompt and type a bunch of commands to get the laser & computer talking. The first thing we typed was command + R key, which brought the windows command prompt up. Next we typed

ipconfig
(computers IP Address)
ping

Next we setup a printer driver as TCP/IP Port and entered the computers IP & subnet mask. We then added the 905 driver with a different queue name "Epilog", changed the protocol to LPR, replace driver, don't share, finish. :) I'm sure those aren't in the correct order, but that's how I remembered it. Any questions add it here or call Epilog.

Good luck and thank you for the replies everyone !!!

Whoo hooo I'm off