PDA

View Full Version : Recreational Vehicle Renovation

Richard Wagner
01-29-2015, 11:47 AM
I am in the process of returning to service an 1968 Aristocrat Travel Trailer. While most of the work is wood working related, not all of it is. It appears that I need to replace the refrigerator. This was not thought to be a big deal but it has become one. When I finally got it removed from its original perch in the trailer, it became apparent that it is too large to go through any of the openings.

To get it out, I will have to remove the door (no problem) and remove the entire cooling mechanism from within the refrigerator (cooling coils, fins, controls etc).

Can I just cut or puncture the freon lines without problems?

Lee Schierer
01-29-2015, 12:05 PM
Freon is very poisonous. It is illegal to release it. You might call a local refrigeration place. They do recover old freon and might even pay you for it.

Mike Lassiter
01-29-2015, 12:19 PM
it could be ammonia which is toxic, but could be R12 which has long been no longer used or manufactured. If you do what you are suggesting it maybe another issue for you when doing it. R12 leagally is to be recovered but I'd bet most in similar situtations don't due to trouble and cost.

Brian Elfert
01-29-2015, 3:58 PM
As mentioned, most RV refrigerators have ammonia in the cooling unit. The original manufacturer must have gotten the fridge in there in one piece somehow. Maybe a window taken out will allow enough space to remove it in one piece?

fred marcuson
01-29-2015, 7:33 PM
The original manufacturer must have gotten the fridge in there in one piece somehow.

most rv's are built from the inside out , insides are put together then outside walls are installed then the roof /.

Ed Aumiller
01-29-2015, 8:56 PM
On mine (small motor home) was able to get it out and a new one in by removing the door & frame for it..
Barely, but was able to...
If it is a 12v or propane refrigerator (or combo), it probably has ammonia in it, not freon...
If it has a compressor, then it needs to be vacuumed out as it is freon or equivalent..

Good luck..

Chris Walls
01-29-2015, 9:28 PM
If it is a multi source refrigerator (ie electric and LP gas ) then it is most likely an absorption unit. Another way to tell is if the tubing is made of steel, not copper. They can often be saved and made to run correctly again by removing the unit and turning it upside down for a week or so and then reinstalling it or at least setting it upright again and starting the unit. Really , not pulling your leg. absorption units tend to stratify when not used for long periods and the water ammonia mix will not combine and or separate as needed. So then when it is started it will not work. Turning it upside down mixes it up again and it will run correctly. it's worth a try at least , doesn't cost anything and it often works.
Chris

Tom Stenzel
01-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Just to add to all of the above if it is an absorption (electric or propane) frig,

Absorption refrigerators are pretty expensive, make sure its bad before you replace it.

If they're not dead level the efficiency goes down and it doesn't take much tilt to stop them from working altogether. Make sure it's level when testing it. There are no moving parts in them to wear out. I never heard about the stratification problem that Chris describes but hey, always learn something new.

Cutting open the ammonia lines on it isn't like opening a bottle of cleaning ammonia. It really is dangerous. Be careful.

-Tom

Rick Potter
01-30-2015, 4:09 AM
Just a note of interest on RV fridges. If they sit for a while, it is not unusual for a tiny spider to have build a web in the propane jet. It then will not pass enough gas to keep running.

Passing gas is very important:D .

Rick Potter
01-30-2015, 4:09 AM
Just a note of interest on RV fridges. If they sit for a while, it is not unusual for a tiny spider to have build a web in the propane jet. It then will not pass enough gas to keep running.

Passing gas is very important:D .