PDA

View Full Version : FSL 4th Gen Opinions

jon christlieb
01-29-2015, 9:30 AM
What are the highs and lows of this system? Can I still get parts and replacement tubes? I plan on going with a Rabbit system down the road but came across this and might pick up for the price.

Dan Hintz
01-29-2015, 9:58 AM
Plenty of threads on here about FSL... I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole. Go with Rabbit (Ray Scott) and you won't be sorry.

Mike Troncalli
01-29-2015, 10:23 AM
Jon,

Yes, you can still get parts for this machine. However Full Spectrum now makes the 5th generation machine. If you don't mind can you tell me the price, if not you can PM me and I can give you a lot more information.

Note: From what I understand, FSL will want to charge you a $300.00 transfer fee to retain ownership of the software. You will need this if you want any support or upgrades.. If you plan on using the machine for a short while then it shouldn't be an issue.

Contrary to what Dan says, there are plenty of very satisfied FSL owners out there... Not to take anything away from Rabbit, as I hear it is a good machine with excellent support..

Dan Hintz
01-29-2015, 11:06 AM
Contrary to what Dan says, there are plenty of very satisfied FSL owners out there...

How is that contrary? I said:
1) There are plenty of threads about the machine.
2) I wouldn't touch one with a 10' pole.

Dave Sheldrake
01-29-2015, 11:08 AM
I think I've probably owned lasers from just about every major manufacturer around from cheap Chinese junkers, western made premium stuff (Epilog/Trotch/ULS) up to the high end Japanese made multi kilowatt systems.

I wouldn't go near an FSL system even with somebody else's pole.

Many of the "satisfied" FSL users have never had anything else to compare it to so being a king with one eye in a world of blind people is easy :)

jon christlieb
01-29-2015, 11:09 AM
This is just a really good price. I have looked at a 5th gen and wasnt happy with the service. I just cant pass up the short term solution at this price. Just trying to see what issues might be out there and see how available parts are.

jon christlieb
01-29-2015, 11:10 AM
Like I said it wasnt what I was looking for and I will end up with a Rabbit later on but this just cant be passed up.

Dan Hintz
01-29-2015, 11:11 AM
This is just a really good price. I have looked at a 5th gen and wasnt happy with the service. I just cant pass up the short term solution at this price. Just trying to see what issues might be out there and see how available parts are.

If the machine is currently in working order, you're happy with the price, and it's a short-term thing until something better comes along, well... sounds like a tough deal to beat.

Dave Sheldrake
01-29-2015, 11:15 AM
A solution is the means of a problem being solved, it sounds like you have made your mind up Jon? from experience I can say you are making a bad choice but in reality it is your choice.

jon christlieb
01-29-2015, 11:34 AM
I suppose you could take that approach to this. My mind was made up for the most part, I just wanted to see about parts and known issues. I am not against searching, but with every system there are "common" things to look for. I have worked with other laser setups in the past but it doesnt hurt to reach out for quick things to look for.

As stated I intend on getting a rabbit system in the second half but funds are low right now to drop that kind of money. We aren't all sitting around with pockets full of money. This isn't being bought as a business but as a small part there of. So if you know where i can get a laser system, the computer, the software, along with some other add-on for less than 2k I am all ears.

Dave Bonde
01-29-2015, 12:26 PM
I have had a 4th Gen FSL for about 3 years – here is my experience. I am in a school setting not a business trying to make money. In the three years we have engraved about 600 computers 500 pen boxes like the ones I have pictured 50 award plaques (pictured). 400 names on corian pens, lots of matt board models and 1/16” to 1/8” acrylic cut outs in varies shapes. About a year ago I lost power – FSL tech support was helpful they said it was probably the power supply or the tube, they wanted me to send the power supply in to have tested but I replaced both the power supply and the tube. They said I probably didn’t need both but in my situation it worked best for me just to replace both. After installing both the laser would not fire – Tech support had me sent them a picture of the power supply and found a jumper off I forgot to install. I called tech support on two other occasions with software issues and my problems were resolved each time. Once they had me send them my file and they found the problem. We mainly used corel draw and the FSL interface is very easy to use. When I engraved the computers it would have been nice to have a faster laser other than that I have been very happy with the laser. If I had to replace it today I would buy another FSL probably the 5th gen. 305445305446

jon christlieb
01-29-2015, 12:44 PM
Awesome, I really appreciate the response. when engraving the computer did you use thermark? If so how well does it turn out?

Bert Kemp
01-29-2015, 12:47 PM
Not sure how he did it but my experience most computers are AA( anodized Alum) and engrave fine with out anything.

jon christlieb
01-29-2015, 1:14 PM
I didnt think about that as I use Mac's.... But it is a very valid point. Kinda feels like a dumb question now.

Matt McCoy
01-29-2015, 2:56 PM
Hey Jon: The 4th Gen was the first laser I purchased and it will engrave and cut material, such as 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood (slowly). It's a rebadged K40 with FSL's controller card and software, which in my opinion is pretty good and a lot better than the the Chinese software I've used. Parts are pretty widely available, even though Full Spectrum no longer sells this machine. You will probably need to fidget with it to keep it operating at its best, as it does have idiosyncrasies, but that's the tradeoff for an inexpensive laser cutter that is referred to as a hobby machine. Its cutting area is around 9" x 14" and connects with a USB cable.

I also have two Gen 5 lasers (40 W), which began as a Kickstarter project. The laser was designed in-house and is assembled in Las Vegas. I have put a lot of miles on these machines the last 2+ years and feel I have a good handle on their capability. I had to switch out a power supply in one (warranty) and have replaced the tubes once a year. This is a better machine than the Gen 4 (K40) for a variety of reasons including faster engraving speed, more consistent cuts, easier to calibrate/maintain, quicker to focus, and a larger 20" x 12" engraving and cutting envelope. It can be connected with either a USB or Ethernet connection.

Macs engrave just fine.

Dave Bonde
01-29-2015, 3:07 PM
The computers I engraved were plastic covers - here is a picture of one. 305453

jon christlieb
01-29-2015, 4:45 PM
You guys are awesome. I truly appreciate the insight. I am sure this machine will need a little love, but with all the extras in software and stuff it cant be beat. I have been looking for months....

Mike Troncalli
01-29-2015, 5:36 PM
You guys are awesome. I truly appreciate the insight. I am sure this machine will need a little love, but with all the extras in software and stuff it cant be beat. I have been looking for months....

Sent you a private message...