PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my new J-170

David Spurr
01-29-2015, 6:05 AM
Morning everyone. I recently picked up a nice Yates-American J-170 on a great deal. I am trying to get the handwheel off so I can get access inside but it is frozen. Anyone have any suggestions? I sprayed some PB Blaster at the threads with no success. Thanks in advance for the help.

Dale Miner
01-29-2015, 8:04 AM
I have a Yates american. The hand wheel is left hand thread on mine. Just saying.......

Brian Myers
01-29-2015, 9:05 AM
Yup, left hand threaded and made of aluminum. Depress the spindle lock and rotate the spindle until it catches , hold it in or better yet get someone to hold the spindle lock in for you and put your body weight into the removing the hand wheel. If it's been sitting for awhile that hand wheel can be a bear to free. Not in the shop at the moment but aren't there flats behind the backside of the hand wheel ? Get a large wrench and a length of pipe to fit over the wrench handle. Unless the back part (removable back portion) of the headstock is already off or missing , I doubt PB Blaster is getting in there. That threaded portion of the hand wheel is long and well recessed inside the head , maybe 2" , will need the measure mine later. What vintage is the lathe , there are several versions of it.

Brian Myers
01-29-2015, 11:04 AM
There is 2" of threaded section on that hand wheel with about 1" inside the casting (outer casting/cover removed for pic). The last pic is of the spindle lock assembly, it's attached to the spindle like a pulley and it's heavy duty. I have not been afraid to apply plenty of force to the hand wheel, face plates or chuck with the spindle lock engaged when needed.
305437 305438305439305440305441

David Spurr
01-29-2015, 12:02 PM
Yeah no luck on the unscrewing which is why I posted the question. Just want to make sure I won't damage anything by putting to much pressure. This came out of the local school system and hasn't been cleaned in years.

David Spurr
01-31-2015, 11:07 PM
Thanks Brian you were right. A bigger wrench and more muscle.

Brian Myers
02-01-2015, 7:49 AM
Glad you got it free.