PDA

View Full Version : Leather case's

Bert Kemp
01-28-2015, 9:23 PM
Couple of leather cases I did , small one for a pocket knife and the larger one holds 8 round exacto type knives. Still need to be sewn. I coated tw:)305398305399305400305401305402305403o coats of leather sheen before engraving and wiped the residue right off after engraving. The burn area around the holes is burnt leather not residue. Needed pretty high power to get thru this thick leather.(5 to 6 mm Leather)

Bill George
01-28-2015, 9:38 PM
Wow does that look nice Bert.

David Somers
01-29-2015, 12:18 AM
Bert! Looks great!

I am curious. I have not touched leather tooling since High School. (cuneiform was still what your handwriting was graded on, not script) Anyway....how do you like this approach versus hand tooling wet leather?

Dave

Bert Kemp
01-29-2015, 12:59 PM
Thanks Dave and Bill
Dave, I find engraving leather this way I can get a lot more creative in the designs and stuff but traditional stamping still has its benefits, as you can do relief carving and painting were its would be a lot harder to achieve that with engraving.Stamping and carving is a lot of work and very time consuming which in turn drives the cost way up, using the engraver I can design and engrave much faster but in reality its not as nice looking as the traditional way. But its like anything else people have different tastes and pocketbook sizes. Stamping and carving is not cheap you could easily sink the cost of a laser into tools, patterns, dyes and all the other stuff you need to do leather work. hey just a side of leather could easily cost up to $300 .But there both a lot of fun to work at.

David Somers
01-30-2015, 2:37 PM
Thanks Bert!! That helps put the two techniques in perspective!!

Dave
PS.....if I don't catch you before game day! Have a terrific and exciting Superbowl. We have a small herd coming over and I need to make a ton of food for everyone! Gonna be a busy Saturday and Sunday morning. Even making home made stuff pretzels!!! Man are those good! Unfortunately I won't have the laser setup in time to engrave everything with the Seahawks Logo!!! Go Hawks! <Grin>

Gary Hair
01-30-2015, 3:07 PM
Very nice Bert!

Bert Kemp
01-30-2015, 5:07 PM
I'll engrave some Pats Logos for you and ship them asap :) Maybe I'll ride down to the stadium and tailgate with the Pats Fans.GO PATS!!

Thanks Bert!! That helps put the two techniques in perspective!!

Dave
PS.....if I don't catch you before game day! Have a terrific and exciting Superbowl. We have a small herd coming over and I need to make a ton of food for everyone! Gonna be a busy Saturday and Sunday morning. Even making home made stuff pretzels!!! Man are those good! Unfortunately I won't have the laser setup in time to engrave everything with the Seahawks Logo!!! Go Hawks! <Grin>

Bert Kemp
01-30-2015, 5:09 PM
Thanks Gary :)

Very nice Bert!