PDA

View Full Version : Where to Find Exterior Metal Studs?

Gilbert Vega
01-28-2015, 3:14 PM
Anyone have a source for exterior metal studs? I need something stronger than the normal stuff one would find at the big box store. Thanks.

Bill Huber
01-28-2015, 3:43 PM
Are you talking about something that will be in the weather all the time and will not be covered?

Kevin Bourque
01-28-2015, 4:41 PM
We buy them from our drywall supplier. They carry a huge selection of int./ext. metal studs.

Gilbert Vega
01-28-2015, 4:50 PM
I'm considering building an outdoor kitchen island in my covered porch and covering it with cement board and stone veneer. I had the contractor rough in electrical, propane, water and a drain in the house we're building. I thought exterior studs would be sturdier than the interior studs.

Kevin Bourque
01-28-2015, 6:24 PM
I'm considering building an outdoor kitchen island in my covered porch and covering it with cement board and stone veneer. I had the contractor rough in electrical, propane, water and a drain in the house we're building. I thought exterior studs would be sturdier than the interior studs.

You need heavy gauge interior metal track and studs. Readily available at almost all drywall dealers.

I used to store my odd size metal studs behind my shed completely exposed to the elements. Even after years & years they didn't rust.

Edward Oleen
01-29-2015, 1:15 AM
I don't quite understand the need for metal studs, especially for outdoor use. Isn't that why they make treated 2x4s??

Gilbert Vega
01-29-2015, 12:41 PM
The main reason I'm using metal studs is that the island will be covered with stone and I want to eliminate any movement that can crack the grouted joints. Secondly, the use of non combustible materials is less reason to worry near a heat source.