PDA

View Full Version : Table protection/lube: CRC-36 or WD-40?

David Ragan
01-28-2015, 1:55 PM
I was just into a thread about rust prevention and Johnson Paste Wax.

In answering the question, FWW did a study in 2012, using about 12-15 products, from cheap to pricey. However, the cheap CRC Industrial 3-36 and WD-40 outperformed all the other stuff, including Rennaissance wax, Johnson, Camelia/Jojoba, Boeing T-9, etc.

So----considering how utterly cheap, easy, and simple just spraying CRC/WD-40 is, that is a very tempting option instead of my usual waxing everything, right?

Does anybody just use the CRC/WD-40 option?

If so, do you use it for everything-chisels, planes, table saw top, etc?

Ian Scofield
01-28-2015, 2:51 PM
I'm going through the same situation with my tools and have been doing lots of research. FWW suggested the CRC 3-36, and a whole bunch of people went and bought it off amazon. However, a good chunk of these customers have said it doesn't work as well. Most likely because the real world scenario which is months and months doesn't correllate exactly with the 10 days freeze/thaw test they did in the articel.

A lot of people have suggested using paste wax but just apply it much more frequently, however there are a lot of people actually using the zinsser spray shellac and have said it's working flawlessly.

But the main point that I keep coming across is that preventing rust is a two part step. The first is to apply a protectant finish to the cast iron or steel, but the second is to cover the tool which prevents the moisture/humidity settling on the tool and condensing.

So choose a finish, then get sheets, towels, drop cloths, etc. and cover your tools.

David Gutierrez
01-28-2015, 3:01 PM
I have been using CRC for 12 months on the TS, BS and DP tables with good results. they are in a unheated garage and I wipe them down every couple of months. I am in northern IL.

Fidel Fernandez
01-28-2015, 3:10 PM
I always had a major rust problem in my Garage.
It has been an ended battle, my hand tools (planes and chisels) and power tools always in the loosing side.

I started using the CRC 3-36 that I bought in Amazon in August/2014 and the rust has gone.

There is something to take notice. I noticed the CRC 3-36 makes the item sprayed with it to change a little bit. The surface turns to a different color, or for a better description to a brand new state.
I received an used bandsaw and it has some rust on the table. I applied the CRC 3-36 and the table turned from a dull grey into an almost "shine" iron.
I also have an old very old anvil made from Colorado mining railroad track and the color changed.

See the pictures:

305364 and how it looks now 305365

It is not a bad thing, so you need to know before hand.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-28-2015, 4:55 PM
Living in the rust capital of the US, I use Boeshield T-9. After reading the FWW rust article, I did buy a can of the CRC. I think it works as well as the T-9 for the short term. Long term I think the T-9 is "bettter", this based on my rerely used Shopsmith residing outside under a plywood shelter. It has not rusted any more than it was before, treated with the T-9 (once, maybe twice a year). It is strictly my opinion.

I did do a fast CRC "test" with my cheapo Stanley chisels. I sharpened them using waterstones, (to get the oxide layer off) sprayed them with CRC, rinsed them off, and put the chisels down on a paper towel, sharp bevel down, still wet. Surprise, no rust even a week later. Rinsed them again, after a couple more weeks, they finally rusted. Since the article, common hand tools used get either the cheap CRC or cheaper WD. The major stationary tools still get T-9 or Johnstons'. Mainly because I'm not going to toss that out. Don't think I'll buy any more T-9 though.

Mike Gresham
01-28-2015, 5:37 PM
I've been using WD-40 for nearly 20 years as a rust preventative. Seems to work fine for me. When I have a project going, I just wipe the table down and wax it with Johnson's. When the projects over, I treat it with WD-40. Use seems to work as well as anything else to prevent rust.