PDA

View Full Version : Ash platter with Lilac and resin inlay

Mark Detrick
01-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Continuing with my attraction of mixing woods and resins.
This is a Ash platter with a Lilac and resin ( Alumilte ) inlay.
The Lilac and deep red colored Alumilite was cast in a mold. I turned a recess in the Ash platter, inlayed the casting and shaped the platter.
The finish is clear lacquer. Dimensions are 13" x 1.75".

Comments, critiques and suggestions are appreciated.

Roger Chandler
01-28-2015, 11:11 AM
Nice platter! The contrast in color makes for a striking presence. I have turned some lilac in my time.......candlesticks from a large bush in a neighbors yard for her..........she was tickled. You can get nice color from the larger pieces of lilac........these show well in the center of your platter.

Mark Patoka
01-28-2015, 12:12 PM
That's a pretty cool idea. Looks very nice.

David Delo
01-28-2015, 1:44 PM
That's one of those "how'd he do that piece for sure." Very nice work Mark.

Paul Williams
01-28-2015, 6:24 PM
That is one great looking platter. This is one of the very few times when I think a piece would look better without multicolored wood. Just referring to the darker wood in the rim. I think it takes away from the look just a little bit. I hope you don't mind my stealing your design idea. I end up with many small pieces of great looking wood and you have a great way to display them.

Mark Detrick
01-28-2015, 6:54 PM
I would tend to agree with you regarding the multicolored wood on the rim but this was an experiment and I just used what I had.
As for the design idea, steal away, I stole the idea from others! :)

Thom Sturgill
01-28-2015, 7:34 PM
Definitely dramatic, eye catching. I think I would have arranged the lilac differently, maybe created a pin-wheel pattern or something. It feels too chaotic. It is an idea worth pursuing. Beth Ireland did a series of bowls with things embedded in resin for part of the bowl. It might be worth looking up some of her work.

Sid Matheny
01-28-2015, 7:43 PM
Not my cup of tea but well done anyway!

Sid

Mark Detrick
02-03-2015, 8:30 PM
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I'll keep then in mind on the next adventure!

BILL DONAHUE
02-03-2015, 11:11 PM
That's a very beautiful piece. Would appreciate some info on how you did it. Great job!

Steve Huffman
02-04-2015, 9:18 AM
I'm new to turning, so got to say simply awesome! When I see things made with ideas like this it opens up a whole new avenue and possibilities
of things that can be made. My head is spinning with ideas, or should say turning ;) Nice job Mark!!

robert baccus
02-04-2015, 11:39 PM
Very, very nice--just right.

Mark Detrick
02-05-2015, 7:45 AM
The Lilac and deep red colored Alumilite was cast in a 9" x 1" round mold. When it was cured I turned it so that the outside diameter was perfectly round. I rough turned the ash platter and then turned a recess the same diameter as the casting. I epoxied the casting in the platter then did the final shaping, sanding and finishing. I used a mold because I use these castings for other things, but you could also cut a recess into an object and then do your casting right in the recess.

Bill White
02-06-2015, 1:12 PM
That's a good example of you being an artist while I'm just a turner.
Very well done.
Bill

Steve Mellott
02-06-2015, 5:39 PM
It must be nice to be creative. I really like this!

Len Mullin
02-06-2015, 8:32 PM
I like it, it's different. Brendan Stemp an aussie turner, has a few videos on You Tube and other sites that are of turning resins with items imbeded in it. His videos are well worth watching, check them out.
Len

Mark Detrick
02-07-2015, 8:47 AM
Brendan's videos are awesome and he is very responsive to questions. Watching his videos inspired some of my wood and resin work.
Brendan saw a previous work of mine and placed pictures of it in his gallery.