PDA

View Full Version : Need pin/nail nailer.... which one to get?

Dev Emch
07-25-2005, 8:46 PM
I am beginning something very new for me. I am starting my first lath plaster job on one of my bedrooms. Pictures available soon.:rolleyes:

Believe it or not, I do not own a air powered air nailer. The lath I am using is 3/8 inch thick and I need to nail this onto the studs, fir strips, etc etc.

1). What would be the best nail/brad and air nailer that would work for this job?

2). I did see Jon Eaks on the show "Just ask Jon Eaks" on the DIY network using a polished aluminum air nailer of about the size and class I am looking for. Does anyone know which nailer he was working with here? Who makes a polished alum. air powered nailer?

Thanks for any tips...

John Renzetti
07-25-2005, 8:59 PM
hi Dev, I'm sorry but having seen pictures of the machines in your shop, I don't think anything that is made of polished aluminum with work. There has got to be something out there that is made of cast iron, weighs about 15lbs and fires anything from brads to railroad spikes. :)
All joking aside I have an Omer 18g brad nailer as well as their 23g pinner. Great balance. A couple of guys I know have a Grex, that they like. Not sure as I haven't seen one but will on Wednesday at the Vegas show.
I used to be a fan of Senco having used their older framing nailers a lot. Now I'm not so sure. Got their 18g brad nailer and promptly got rid of it. The 16g I have is ok but nothing great.
take care,
John

Dev Emch
07-25-2005, 9:25 PM
Actually there is....

Years ago I used to design flow meters for oil companies and what not. In the history of the company I worked for was one of the first automatic nail guns. I could not use the word air powered or pnuematic and here is why...

Inside, there were two counter rotating flywheels driven by a small universal motor. When you pull the trigger, a leather clutch grabs the two wheel and imparts all of the pent up kinetic energy into a single blow.

Fire this two times and your wrist may just fall off!:confused:

I have a number of air powered auto tools made by IR in japan. These are well made but basic tools. Impact wrench, grinder, drill, etc. They have polished Al housings and have been on the market since the 70s. Basic, built to last, heavy duty and reliable.

I wish I could find the air nailer version of these tools. Today, you see lots of plastic, wird colors, ergo handles that peel off under real world use, cheesmo parts that fail just before the deadlines come true, etc. etc.

I bought a porta nailer air nailer for installing floors. The body is machined froma sand casting made from aluminum and powder coated maroon red. The design and machine work is old school and accurate. Its a bit heavier than the others out there but it can run all day and think nothing of it. Its a real joy to use.

It just occured to me. Would you consider a floor nailer to be a nail gun? If so, I do own one and I stand self corrected:rolleyes: Now if I can find that brad or tiny nail nail gun with polished alum. bling bling body.:D

Alan Turner
07-25-2005, 9:40 PM
Dev,
I have the 18 ga. Senco, and for the limited use of building jigs, it is fine. Adjustable depth. I had the Senco 23 ga. micro pin nailer, and it was "just OK", not great, no adjustment on the countersink function, but it did coutersink the 1" nails into hard maple. I never tried it on a tropical. I lent/sold it, and am in the market for another. I would be gald to go with the Omer, which I think is the cabinet shop standard, but the Grex, for about $75 less, and from our neighbor to the north instead of east, has gotten a few good comments. I will be interested to see how this thread develops.

Matt Meiser
07-25-2005, 10:08 PM
In my parents' house, the lath is attached with more significant nails than brads, but then there were no brad nailers in 1860. I'd worry about the brads pulling right through the lath since the head is so small. What about 1/4" crown staples?

Dev Emch
07-25-2005, 10:18 PM
I am thinking about using a nail about 2 inches in length. So what would a detail nailer be called that can fire these puppies? That sounds like a 16 or 18 gage gun of sorts.

What would be a typical nail for pounding lath onto the wall?

Jim Dalton
07-25-2005, 10:18 PM
I have the Senco Accuset and love it. Solid action, good setting. It's still new, but several friends who have used it covet it.

Bob Borzelleri
07-25-2005, 10:57 PM
I have the Grex GRXP635. It shoots up to 1 3/8" pins I think the less expensive model does up to 1 3/16". Cost is about $200, more than the P-C and less than the Omer, if I recall correctly. It is a sweet nailer....Bob

Von Bickley
07-25-2005, 11:07 PM
I agree with Matt. I would use 1/4" crown staples. ;)

Cecil Arnold
07-26-2005, 12:10 AM
I have the Sinco 18 ga. and it will fire up to 2" brads. I've had it for about 2 years and am still happy with it. It sees limited use, has a depth setting, and--knock on wood--has not jammed yet. I don't think a pin nailer would be what you want.

Joe Meazle
07-26-2005, 12:20 AM
I'd go with the staples for lath too. I have a 1/4" stapler that I use for 1/4" ply backs, window screens and shop stuff. I use it a lot more than I thought I would. It has Lots more holding power than a brad. Regarding 23ga. pin nailers I just ordered the Bostich. Should be here Tues. I picked it because it shoots up to 1 3/16 pins and it was about $15 bucks cheaper than PC or senco. I can't give any first hand experiene.
joe

Ken Fitzgerald
07-26-2005, 12:22 AM
Dev...I have a Senco SFN40 15 ga nailer. Though it's seen limited use, I've been happy with it so far.

Dev Emch
07-26-2005, 1:27 AM
I am intriqued with the staple idea. You get two shanks sunk into the stud and a cross member that will not pull out. This may be the cat's meow for this job.

So who makes the bad boy on the block when it comes to 1/4 inch staples?

Anything else we should know about staples?

Lee DeRaud
07-26-2005, 10:05 AM
Anything else we should know about staples?They can shoot out of the sides of the board in two different directions or put two holes in your finger simultaneously.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Just kidding...maybe.:cool: I agree it's the tool of choice for putting up lath. But when this job is done, what will he use it for? Might be better off just renting one for a couple days.

Alan Turner
07-26-2005, 11:10 AM
Staplers are handy for subflooring, crating, putting backs on shop cabinets, etc. I think they are only about $100. Pretty handy when you need one.

Steve Clardy
07-26-2005, 1:18 PM
I'd go with a stapler. Old time lathe probably used a 4-6 penny nail.
You can get a coil gun that will shoot the 4 or 6 size nail, that's made for house exterior siding. But what would you use again for??
So sounds like you need a stapler. I'd go with a 1/4" crown staple, probably 3/4" in length.
Steve

Bill White
07-26-2005, 1:28 PM
We use the PC 1/4" narrow crown staplers, 18 ga. brad guns, 16 ga. finish nailers. This is production, and we are pleased. FWIW.

Bill White
07-26-2005, 1:31 PM
We use the PC stuff all over our shop. Can't beat 'em for the money.

Jim Dannels
07-26-2005, 3:19 PM
But about 15 yrs ago I bought a $50 18 ga. brad nailer from Harbor Freight.
It`s the most used and valuable tool I own.
It has remodeled and trimmed 3 Houses , 2 camping trailers, built many projects and is going strong. I would buy another in a heartbeat if it broke.

Tim Sproul
07-26-2005, 3:28 PM
A bit OT....but related. Anyone know of a nailer that packages their stuff in the same containers as Festool and Lamello?

I'd also go with 1/4 inch narrow crown stapler....but I'd probably opt for 1 inch staples rather than 3/4. 3/4 only gives you 3/8 +/- depth into the stud.

Bob Yedinak
07-26-2005, 3:58 PM
Dev, FWIW, I purchased a brad nailer from Harbor Freight about a year ago on sale for $19.95, didn't know for sure how much I would use it but it's still going strong and I use it much more than I thought I would. Then, about 3 months or so ago, they had a stapler also for $19.95 that uses staples up to 2 inches long, so I picked one of those up, and it also works fine, (don't know for how long), but I don't have a bundle wrapped up in both of them. I don't have much faith in their power tools, but these two items work very well for me.
Bob

Chris Padilla
07-26-2005, 4:02 PM
A bit OT....but related. Anyone know of a nailer that packages their stuff in the same containers as Festool and Lamello?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=80221&postcount=16

Mr. Bob "Festool" Marino managed to make one fit, Tim! :)