PDA

View Full Version : Wood buying Mid-West Indiana

Doug Jones
05-31-2003, 8:19 AM
I believe that I am ready to move on to better wood than pine and pallet scraps. I was wondering were in the mid west Indiana area, do you buy your wood. I heard of a mill over by Attica, IN that has good wood and prices as well as one near Kingman, IN. I will attempt to locate these places, but was wondering if there are any recomendations from the more experienced ww.

Also is a moisture meter neccesary when buying rough cut lumber and if so how much should I plan on spending to get a good one, not a great one, I don't need the best just reliable.
Thanks for reading, Doug

Jason Roehl
05-31-2003, 8:39 AM
Doug, I've been to the reseller in Attica (Serie's Hardwoods, they are not a mill). He sells to mostly cabinet shops in Central IN, but will deal with Joe Woodworker like you and me. Prices are ok as I understand it, but there's got to be better in and around Indy. I haven't been at this long enough to know, either.
If you find something, please share the info.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-31-2003, 10:59 AM
Hi Doug,

I have had the good fortune of going to Frank Miller Lumber in Union City Indiana. It's juts north of Richmond on the East side of the state, about an hour and a half from Indy.

FML is a full mill, they cut a million board feet of wood a month and sell to you and I through an outlet store at the mill. They primarly sell to major wood distributers and large commercial business around the world.

They are a first class organization, they were a supported of the BP blast in Anderson in April this year, they do give discounts to BP'rs and SMC supporters,

Take care,
Jim

Ken Garlock
05-31-2003, 11:07 AM
Hi Doug.

I am told that it is worth the trip over to Frank Miller Lumber at Union City In. It is right on the IN/OH border, north of Richmond. Even if you don't buy anything, they say it is worth the trip to see the mill.

The website is: http://www.frankmiller.com

Have fun.

Ken Garlock
05-31-2003, 11:10 AM
Here we have two gents from Indiana asking about lumber sources in Indiana.

Replies come from Ontario Canada, and Texas, Hmmmm

Just kidding, but you can see the reputation of the mill is wide spread.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
05-31-2003, 11:14 AM
Hi Ken,

It's true about FML, it's a 9 hour drive from here in Oakville, the quality of the wood and selection make it a definat consideration for me when I am planning out my lumber purchases for the next while, even despite the poor Canadian - US exchange rate, the quality and selection of the wood is what matters here...I call ahead and let Daren Hiatt know I'm coming and what I am looking for...just in case there a re a few Killer boards that might be in my best interst.

Take care,
Jim

Rusty Hughes, Indy
05-31-2003, 12:18 PM
Hello,

I don't buy a lot of wood, but when I do there is no other place I will buy from other than Frank Miller. Absolutely, the best service I have experienced.

You won't go wrong with them.

Rusty

Dick Tysen
05-31-2003, 11:27 PM
Hi Doug
I live on the north east side of Indy and have bought wood from Hollingsworth Lumber in Russiaville( which is close to Kokomo) and from Frank Miller. Frank Miller is worth the drive but Hollingsworth has a good slection and is closer for you.I have been treated very well at both places. Good Luck
Hollingsworth 765-883-5836

Dick Tysen

Doug Jones
06-01-2003, 7:28 AM
Thanks for all the replys, sounds like I'll be doing a road (wood) trip to Union City to Frank Mill Lumber.

Jason, when can you swing by to pick me up for a trip?

I heard of a mill over by Cayuga, IN. I think I'll check this one out first but it does sound like I need to make the trip to Frank's just for the experience. Is there a shopping mall near by, it wood be easier to convence my wife of the trip?

Eric Apple - Central IN
06-02-2003, 3:43 PM
Crone Lumber/Sawmill in Martinsville, IN. Kiln dried, Nice people good prices. South of Indy in Martinsville City limits just off of SR37, about 25 miles. Call before you go. You will need to get into their production schedule. www.cronelbr.com 765-342-2259

Ron Jones near Indy
06-02-2003, 9:58 PM
I have heard some good things about Meridian Lumber in Greencastle. Contact Brad Booe at 765-526-2220. Highly recommeded by an acquaintance. Never been there or talked to them. If you go there, let me know what you think.:p