PDA

View Full Version : Square cocktail table, tile top, QSWO, ready for tile and finish

Gene Davis
01-27-2015, 11:06 PM
Two images, one of my SU model, the other of the table mostly assembled, ready for tile.

It arrives late this week, from Clay Squared To Infinity, Minneapolis.

Joinery all dominos, size 10x50mm. The big fattie. It will get the same multi step Jeff Jewitt finish as the pair of Morris chairs in the group, a pretty good match to Stickley's Onandaga. Pic attached from one of the chairs.

I tried a new technique on this project, my third with dominos, to lessen the thrill and anxiety of glue-ups. I first glued the dominos into half of each joint. Stretchers, for example, got their dominos glued in place first. All parts thus emulated traditional end-tenoning.

The bottom panel has a 6x40mm single domino at center into the stretcher both ends, with glue only at the dominos so as to peg the centers. The through-mortises for the pegged tenons are oversized for width both ways to accommodate seasonal movement. Thanks to those here for advice on that.

Legs are showing QS faces all four sides, and are solid with 3/32" skins covering edge grain on two sides. I am not happy with my wood selection there and will get better, as I have three more pieces to make with legs about this size.

My SU model is showing my "domino kit," a download from the 3D Warehouse that has all the sizes of the dominos and their mortises my 500 will cut. I use them to lay out my arrays of loose tenons for best size and location.

The look of the through-tenons for the top rails is faux, with small chunks glued into 1" deep mortises.

The 3D model also includes my lumber array. I find SU wonderful for figuring out what to get when it is time to go down to the yard.

Kent A Bathurst
01-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Gene - very nice.

I really like the pegged thru-tenons. That A&C design detail has always been one of my favorites. Very clever application to deal with the movement question that was raised/discussed in your first thred.

The finish: Looks to me for all the world like a typical Jewett Stickley finish schedule? Dye color and gel stain/filler color?

Yonak Hawkins
01-28-2015, 1:58 PM
..Looks great, Gene. ..Can't wait to see it finished. That's some beautiful looking oak.

Gene Davis
01-28-2015, 3:53 PM
Yes, it will be finished per the Jeff Jewitt sequence. Dye, Seal-A-Cell, Gel Stain, then Arm-R-Seal x 5 or 6. All wiped.