PDA

View Full Version : Woodpeckers Premium Router Package PRP-2 review, Precision Router Lift V2 PRL-V2

Peter Hartman
01-27-2015, 10:53 AM
I just picked up the woodpeckers Premium Router Package. I was actually leaning towards the General Excalibur/Woodtek lift, but I have concerns about the maintenance over time on those. There is a lot of nooks and crannies for dust to get caught up in. Ultimately the simplicity of the woodpeckers lift and the fact that it is made in this country won out.

This is going to be a multi-part review.

I spent about 2 and a half hours getting things set up last night and I still have a good amount still to do. The stand on this new table comes in more parts than the old table from woodpeckers. I understand why for shipping, but it makes setup a bit more time consuming and it also makes the stand a little more visually busy. Eventually I will build a full cabinet under this.

I have an old PC7536 router that I will be using. I thought that it looked like it was the same size as the 7518 and it appears that it is. The pads for the 7518 fit my router just fine or it appears that they do at this point.

I have only hand tightened all the bolts in the stand per the instructions so I still have a good amount of work to finish that aspect. I do appreciate the extra support that the have under the phenolic top to hopefully keep it from sagging over the years.

Mike Goetzke
01-27-2015, 3:39 PM
Looks nice! I moved my PRL-V2 to a Woodpeck 27x43 phenolic table a little while back and really like it. I built a cabinet for it but constructed a hefty angle iron frame under the top. I use a Woodpeck "Super Fence" on it (what fence do you plan on using?). I had two issues with the setup. First the router opening seems a bit too far from the front of the table. Second, moving the router up and down with the thumb wheel got tiresome even with the lift wrench. I was able to correct this second issue by attaching a rod to the end of that red wheel you see in the first picture, affixing it to the front angle iron, and installing a 1/4" square socket on the end. This allows me to use a 1/4" drive ratchet wrench or 1/4" drive adapter on my small drill/driver to move the router - works great!

Mike

Peter Hartman
01-28-2015, 9:36 AM
Thanks Mike! I just finished putting together my super fence last night. I still have to get it tuned up though. I also have the micro adjust (http://www.woodpeck.com/microadjust.html). I have not gotten it out of the box yet. I did have a few issues that I am kind of disappointed about and I will try to post some more pictures in the next day or 2 and explain.

George Bokros
01-28-2015, 1:31 PM
First the router opening seems a bit too far from the front of the table. Mike

I have the same top. The idea behind the extra distance in front of the router is to offer support to larger pieces.

Thanks Mike! I just finished putting together my super fence last night. I still have to get it tuned up though. I also have the micro adjust (http://www.woodpeck.com/microadjust.html).

I also have the micro adjust. The drawback is that you cannot move the fence as far behind the bit without removing the micro adjust from the fence. I still love the micro adjust.

Mike Goetzke
01-28-2015, 1:52 PM
I have the same top. The idea behind the extra distance in front of the router is to offer support to larger pieces.

I also have the micro adjust. The drawback is that you cannot move the fence as far behind the bit without removing the micro adjust from the fence. I still love the micro adjust.

George - in your two answers you have the reason I don't like the router opening set as far back as it is. I also have the micro adjuster and find it falling off the track also.

Mike

Mike Goetzke
01-28-2015, 8:41 PM
Peter - here are a couple posts I made for my router table:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?202983-Finally-Finished-My-Router-Cabinet&highlight=

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?207036-Woodpeck-PRL-V2-Router-Lift-quot-Front-quot-Winder&highlight=

Mike