PDA

View Full Version : Dremel tool, how much use?

Jerry Olexa
01-27-2015, 8:37 AM
Several ago, I was given a Dremel for Christmas..It gathered dust and I later gave it away.....Recently, i have several opportunities to buy a Dremel set w accessories at an attractive price....With the changes in the "tool world" (oscillating tools etc), I question the value of owning one. What is your opinion? are they worth owning and how do you guys use them? My urge to buy was prompted when recently I was refurbishing a used handplane and thought it would be nice to have a small Dremel to get in those tiny nooks and crannies...Let me know your opinions and thoughts...thank you..

Dave Richards
01-27-2015, 8:42 AM
I don't use mine often but when I need a small motorized tool for something, I'm glad I've got it. Even though I have a Fein oscillating tool, the Dremel is still a worthwhile tool in my shop.

Tom M King
01-27-2015, 8:52 AM
They're are very handy when you need the job done that one will do. They aren't built for much use though. I've burned up two of the gray ones in the past couple of years. Both times, I went back to the old black single speed one, that's probably 40 years old, to finish the jobs. The old one is tired, and I'm sure it won't do much more, but so far, I've been hesitant to buy another one. I guess if Festool made a small rotary tool, I might have to buy my first Festool.

ken masoumi
01-27-2015, 9:12 AM
I use the small cut off wheels that come in a kit for Dremel (50-100 pcs/pack),and the grinding /sanding bits .just the other day I used it(Dremel & cut off wheel) to cut an Aluminum T-track in half,the small sanding bits are very handy to have around.

Von Bickley
01-27-2015, 9:48 AM
Mine is in the case collecting dust. I have a habit of never getting rid of tools that I might need one day. If I was to get rid of a tool, that would be the first one to go.

Keith Outten
01-27-2015, 9:54 AM
Like Tom I still have my original Dremel tool that I bought in 1976 and a newer one that has adjustable RPM. The black one has consumed at least three sets of new motor brushes but it still is a reliable tool. I use both of my Dremel tools regularly in my sign shop. They are invaluable for the kinds of jobs that they do well, things that an oscillating tool or larger grinder won't do.

Everyone who owns a Dremel tool uses the cut off wheels and they break more often than not. I started using the diamond cut off wheels from Harbor Freight a couple years ago, they are one of the real gems from HF and they will cut solid carbide easily. Not to mention I have never had one of the diamond wheels break.

My old Dremel hangs on a nail near my wood lathe. I use it as the last polishing step when I turn Corian or acrylic pen blanks. It takes just a few seconds to put a beautiful shine on my pen blanks using white buffing compound on the small diameter felt buffing wheels.

I also own one of the 80,000 RPM air pencil style grinders. I don't use it very often but it has its place when high speed grinding is a must. Mine is a commercial model that I have had for at least 20 years and I recommend the air grinders for jobs that the air hose isn't cumbersome.

glenn bradley
01-27-2015, 10:15 AM
I have had one for years and used it seldom. I finally went the few bucks more for the variable speed version and now find it incredibly useful. Different folks will find differing situations. If you haven;t missed having one yet, you probably don't really need it ;-)

Judson Green
01-27-2015, 10:21 AM
Mine was a gift too. Sat in a drawer for years, but then did use it on something (sharping bandsaw blades) and thought it was nice to have. I've used to recently to cut a few small bolts down to size, easier than getting out the angle grinder. They have there place and their small enough to easily stash out of the way when not using.

David C. Roseman
01-27-2015, 11:03 AM
I find many uses for the rotary tools. But do you mean Dremel, specifically, or rotary tools generally? I have two Dremel rechargeables with nicad batteries, and feel they're way underpowered and have short battery lives. Suitable only for very light hobby work and trimming dog nails, IMO. Don't know about the new lithium battery Dremels, but still suggest you stay with one of their better corded models, if you go Dremel. You also may want to consider alternatives. Last year I picked up a couple of the HF corded 120v rotary tools (not their little 12v corded units, which are very underpowered, or their 9v cordless) and have been surprised at how good they are. http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-variable-speed-rotary-tool-kit-31-pc-68696.html. Variable speed and pretty quite. I've seen them as low as $17 - $18 with a coupon.

As another poster mentioned, an air-powered die grinder is another way to go. But for me, they are a bit noisy at high speed, so you need ear protection. And it means airing up the compressor for even a quick job. Also consider the corded, hanging units with a flex shaft that you can operate with a foot pedal (not the handheld units with an optional flex shaft). I have a flex-shaft knock-off of a Foredom that I picked up a few years ago at a woodworking show out of curiosity for around $50 as a show special, and it works great when I want more power and don't need to move much. It claims to be 1/4 hp, but my guess is closer to 1/6. Whatever it is, it seems to deliver.

Marvin Hasenak
01-27-2015, 11:08 AM
I use mine at least once a week and sometimes several times a day for carving. I also use them for cutting copper pipe and clean up of burs on cut metal, for polishing metal and sanding in tight places. I also have the hanging versions of WeCheer and Foredom that get a lot of use.

Peter Kelly
01-27-2015, 11:18 AM
I got a Proxxon after my third Dremel burned up: http://shop.prox-tech.com/c/hand-held-power-tools-115-v_professional-rotary-tool-ibs-e?pkey=ab44e6b8750e4c04dc951e6a66f856e4&ckey=1098125.1029645.0.0.0

Not much more expensive and about a thousand times nicer.

Tom M King
01-27-2015, 11:27 AM
Thanks Peter, for posting that. I had seen them a while back in catalogs, but had forgotten about them-not needing to have a "dremel" in my hand for a while. I'm going to order one now.

John Sanford
01-27-2015, 12:08 PM
My old Dremel hangs on a nail near my wood lathe. I use it as the last polishing step when I turn Corian or acrylic pen blanks. It takes just a few seconds to put a beautiful shine on my pen blanks using white buffing compound on the small diameter felt buffing wheels.

Keith,

Could you provide a bit more info on this process? It sounds like something I may want to do when I venture into acrylics/Corian.

Peter Kelly
01-27-2015, 12:37 PM
Excellent use for a rotary-type tool btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wht-30Oh4zQ

I find that my blades actually cut better than the factory grind after I've gone over them using the above method.

Tom Walz
01-27-2015, 1:52 PM
I don't use my Dremel very often but when I do I really need it. Quite often it is a problem late at night so I keep an extra dramel and plenty of accessories on hand.

They do burn out but they seem to burn out politely. It is more surprising than scary when I see flames coming out of it.

I'm in favor of a tool like this but not particularly thrilled with dremel. I may try the WeCheer or the Foredom.

I hate having to buy a combination kit to get the five bits I need.

Mike Schuch
01-27-2015, 1:59 PM
I get a fair amount of use out of my Dremmels but I seldom use them for wood working. In the shop I have a Harbor Freight 1/8" shaft air powered micro die grinder. It is much smaller than an electric Dremmel and much easier to position on the work.

In the house and other places I use the electric Dremmel where a compressed air source isn't handy.

The Dremmel is my last choice for a sawing operation but sometimes it is the only tool that will do. Grinding and polishing are where the Dremmel really shines. I am always using mine to sharpen chain saw blades.

Kent A Bathurst
01-27-2015, 2:10 PM
What is your opinion? are they worth owning and how do you guys use them?

I'll be doggoned, Jerry. You just reminded me - I was given the Craftsman equivalent for Christmas 13 years ago or so. It has to be around here somewhere. If I were to go look for it [which I won't] and open the case [ditto] that would be the second time it has seen daylight.

Good enough answer? ;)

Jerry Olexa
01-27-2015, 2:21 PM
I get a fair amount of use out of my Dremmels but I seldom use them for wood working. In the shop I have a Harbor Freight 1/8" shaft air powered micro die grinder. It is much smaller than an electric Dremmel and much easier to position on the work.

Good tip!! Makes sense, Mike Thanks for your advice

In the house and other places I use the electric Dremmel where a compressed air source isn't handy.

The Dremmel is my last choice for a sawing operation but sometimes it is the only tool that will do. Grinding and polishing are where the Dremmel really shines. I am always using mine to sharpen chain saw blades.

Good tip!! Makes sense, Mike Thanks for your advice

Jerry Olexa
01-27-2015, 2:22 PM
Learning much via this thread..Many plusses but a few minuses too...Thanks

roger wiegand
01-27-2015, 3:07 PM
I've found Dremels to be pretty clunky to use, too big for many of the tasks, and they get hot if you hold them very long. I use a Foredom tool with a small handpiece for many such tasks. I buy boxes of used solid carbide cutters and drills used in electronic board manufacture on FleaBay for use in the tool, they are way cheaper (less than a buck apiece) than the new cutters and much better quality, still plenty sharp for wood. One of the main things I use it for is routing recesses for inlay work, but I grab it for all kinds of tasks that involve removing very small amounts of material or drilling holes smaller than 1-2 mm. The Foredom has a foot pedal speed control which is very handy.

Erik Loza
01-27-2015, 3:11 PM
I got a Proxxon after my third Dremel burned up: http://shop.prox-tech.com/c/hand-held-power-tools-115-v_professional-rotary-tool-ibs-e?pkey=ab44e6b8750e4c04dc951e6a66f856e4&ckey=1098125.1029645.0.0.0

Not much more expensive and about a thousand times nicer.

I haven't killed my dremel yet but if/when I do, I'll buy one of these. By the way, I use my dremel all the time. Trimming this or polishing that. I have a big electric cutoff wheel but the dremel seems to see all the action. I guess it's like a router vs. shaper. Yeah, the shaper is awesome but the router, you can just turn on and be done in 10 seconds.

Erik Loza
Minimax

Cary Falk
01-27-2015, 3:44 PM
I don't use mine often but there are times when only it will do the job. Dremel may not be the best out there but they have a 5 year warranty and their cs is top notch. My newest one stop working just before christmas. I sent it in. It came back about 2 weeks later with a letter apologizing for the inconvenience and sent me one of their most popular accessories for my trouble.

Judson Green
01-27-2015, 4:16 PM
Excellent use for a rotary-type tool btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wht-30Oh4zQ

I find that my blades actually cut better than the factory grind after I've gone over them using the above method.

I sharping bandsaw blades with a small stone in the rotary tool, I think it's for sharpening chainsaw blades or similar to one anyway. And I do it with the blade still mounted on the wheeled. I'm also of the opinion that it cuts better than new.

Pat Barry
01-27-2015, 4:27 PM
Suitable only for very light hobby work and trimming dog nails, IMO.
LOL - I thought i was the only one to use that tool for dog nails. My dog was very afraid of the cutter tools but tolerated the dremel

Kent A Bathurst
01-27-2015, 4:47 PM
LOL - I thought i was the only one to use that tool for dog nails. My dog was very afraid of the cutter tools but tolerated the dremel

Whooa !! We have a winner !!

No dog, but by the time I get around to my own toenails, a power tool would be great. Ima keep my eyes open for it.

Tangent alert!!:

Did anyone see the film The World's Fastest Indian? Great flick. Everything about it was great. Plus - the protagonist played by Anthony Hopkins always peed outside and always trimmed his toe nails with a power tool. My kinda guy.

If you haven't seen it - you will love it - a "movie-ized" re-telling of a true story - a guy from Australia that took his Indian motorcycle to the Bonneville Flats, unannounced and not pre-registered, found a way to get to run it, and set the world record for his class.

I was talking one day with the guy in charge of motorcycle restorations at the Barber Museum near Birmingham AL, and asked him if they were on the lookout for that bike. "We would be, but there are about a half-dozen with claims that are all as legit as the others, which likely means none of them are the real deal."

Brian Henderson
01-27-2015, 6:35 PM
It depends on the project. It's mighty useful when having to sand small areas where a larger sander simply cannot reach, I've used it for cutting off small screws and the like and for shaping intricate decorations. Like any tool, it depends on the application, some people may use it every day, others may never pick it up.

Keith Outten
01-27-2015, 7:43 PM
Keith,

Could you provide a bit more info on this process? It sounds like something I may want to do when I venture into acrylics/Corian.

John,

Sure, I use one of the small buffing wheels on my Dremel tool with white buffing compound. While the pen blanks are still on the mandrel on my wood lathe and after I have sanded the blanks the last step is to buff. I hold the buffing wheel at a 45 degree angle and polish the blanks while the lathe is running at about 1000 rpm. I use a very light touch and make just a couple passes along the length of each pen blank, the blanks shine like glass. Let me know if this doesn't make sense and I will take a couple pictures.

Ole Anderson
01-27-2015, 8:01 PM
I have a Sears version that gets used in the shop and I keep a Dremel version in my motorhome. Mostly with a abrasive cone for getting a good starting point for a drill in a broken bolt or using the cutoff wheel. Yea the cheap cutoff wheels break, but they have some reinforced ones now that have a quick connect that are much more durable. Broke the bolts off the yoke of my Jeep's driveshaft while in FL once and used it to cut slots in the broken bolts to remove them with a screwdriver at the suggestion of a NAPA counter guy.

Joe Craven
01-28-2015, 10:59 AM
Like others, I agree that there are times when the Dremel (or something identical in function) is the only tool for the job. I probably use mine 20-30 times per year but rarely in the context of woodworking, except maybe when sawing off nails on a 2x4 so that it can be repurposed. The rest of the time it's for random needs around the house like, for instance, when I needed to saw off the last part of a door knob when my 8-year-old locked an internal door (from inside the room) and we got locked out of that room...sawing away at that protective ring was the only way I could get at the backside of the threads so that I could drill out the rest of the lock. I use the cut-off wheels almost exclusively.

Also, FWIW, I don't recommend the cordless versions of this tool. I had one for years and it worked well enough, but the motor burnt out and needed to be replaced, then the lithium ion battery eventually wore out....frustrating to be in the middle of a project only to have to wait on a recharge. All that time I never found myself far enough from an outlet to have a real need for cordless.

Tai Fu
01-28-2015, 11:06 AM
Air die grinders are great, if you have a giant compressor to keep up with it. It's surprising how much air the little sucker uses. If you are in a small apartment it's hardly practical. Foredom knockoffs have been very useful for me, however the huge hand piece is a little hard to control... I can't say I have liked the quality of Dremel brand tools, probably the same quality as the HF unit at 300% of the price.

Mark Patoka
01-28-2015, 12:21 PM
Like most, I don't use it too often either but when I need it, I'm glad I have it. I mostly use the grinding wheel for cutting off bolts in hard to reach places. I also have the chainsaw sharpening attachment and occasionally use it as a mini-router for some of the wife's craft projects.

Larry Frank
01-28-2015, 7:54 PM
I use the heck out of my Dremel with a flex shaft. I use it with carbide burrs and small sanding drums to shape wood pieces for the scroll saw Intarsia that I do. My current one has been going for over two years of hard use and still going. When it dies will replace it with a Foredom.

Edward Oleen
01-28-2015, 11:30 PM
I've got one: it was the very first power tool I bought after I got married. My bride wanted to know what I needed it for, and I replied "just you wait...". When we got to our destination I used it to cut short the portion of the zipper of her dress that was annoying the 7734 out of her all the way - some 50 miles or so. End of complaint.

What do I use it for? Cut open a padlock for which the key is lost. Make a copy of a key which the lock-smith won't copy because it is stamped (in error) "Do Not Copy - Master Key". (I bought a key with the same form and not as ground down to use a a blank.) Cut off screws that are too long - more times than I can count. Cut new slots in screw heads that some idiot has ruined by using a hammer on them. Cut nuts off when they were rusted to the point of disintegrating when you put first a wrench and then a pair of pliers on them. Cut nuts off when they had been rounded to uselessness by some idiot with a pair of pliers. Cutting chain to size when the quantity purchased was too long - the idea being better safe than sorry - better too much than too little. Drilling really small holes in things, in order to be able to wire them together with a strand of wire from a length of lamp cord. Polishing my wife's high school class ring, after it had been soaking in something unknown for about a month and had a lot of crud on it. Wire brushing the details on an "objet d'arte" a friend's wife purchased "for a song" (used a brass bristle brush at ???000 rpm). (I've got the old old old black one - single speed and heavy duty power cord that you could hang yourself with... - as I said I bought it a LONGGGGG time ago.)

I got the router base a few years later: made little things for our daughters doll house: made missing or broken parts for the play house first.

I know I've used it countless times over the years, yet it sits in it's case gathering dust for months on end. But when I need it, there is no other tool that will do what it does.

Yes, the cutoff wheels tend to break, but I find it is because you are applying axial pressure on the tool, and the disk snaps because it is fragile in that direction. If you are careful, and steady your hand while using it, the disk will wear out before it snaps.

It has been the best tool investment I ever made, considering the price.

Jerry Olexa
02-01-2015, 7:38 PM
Learned a lot here – sounds like many of you have many uses for the tool and each of you uses it in different ways-it's not used often but when it is, it is very valuable ...thanks very much for your valuable advice ..I'm now on my lookout for a Dremel ...thanks much..

Rob Matarazzo
02-01-2015, 8:25 PM
Mine gets used a few times a year. When you need one, you need one. I bought mine when I was 16 and I'm 59 now. I'd say it's held up pretty well.