PDA

View Full Version : How do you drill a 5 1/2" hole with a 3" drill press?

Frederick Skelly
01-27-2015, 6:31 AM
Made a large tote for a hand plane. It was 5 1/2" long and needed a 1/4" screw hole that went the whole length. My drill press only has about a 3" stroke. I wasnt able to successully drill from each end and meet in the middle. (The word "folly" comes to mind.) So I bought a 6" drill bit, clamped the tote/handle very securely to the press and drilled a hole 3 1/2" deep. Then, I shut off the press and slowly raised the table until the press was back to the start of its 3" stroke. Then I checked that the clamps were still tight, turned the press back on and finished drilling through.

I couldnt find another safe way to do it. The hole is slighly skewed (comes out the other side
1/8" from where I intended) but I'll live with it. I probably didnt get it clamped quite as square as I intended.

Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks,
Fred

Don Sundberg
01-27-2015, 6:48 AM
Start with the drill press being sure the drill press and the work-piece are absolutely plumb and level. Machinists will use very accurate levels to do this at times. Then remove from the drill press and finish with a hand drill using the initial hole as a drill jig for the last part. If you had to do a ton of them you could make a sub fixture to reference key points on the tote and set stops on the table so you could flip the fixture.

Dave Richards
01-27-2015, 7:07 AM
Another option would be to start the hole and drill as far as you can. Then retract the bit and move the work up. Continue drilling. Since a standard 1/4-in.-dia. bit wouldn't be long enough to get through the tote even if you short chuck it, use a long drill bit such as one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-Tools-USA-Long-Drill/dp/B000VUY5FA/ref=lp_256270011_1_4?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1422360294&sr=1-4) for that. Make sure you clear chips frequently.

Brian W Smith
01-27-2015, 7:39 AM
Do you have a lathe?

cody michael
01-27-2015, 8:07 AM
drill 3 inches, put 3 inch block of square wood underneath, drill the next 3 inches

John Sanford
01-27-2015, 11:59 AM
drill 3 inches, put 3 inch block of square wood underneath, drill the next 3 inches

This sounds like the best option, because you aren't changing the table alignment.

Frederick Skelly
01-27-2015, 7:02 PM
Thanks guys! This helps!
Fred

Richard Wagner
01-28-2015, 8:38 AM
drill 3 inches, put 3 inch block of square wood underneath, drill the next 3 inchesHUH? How long is the bit? I don't believe you can drill a hole that is deeper than the bit is long no matter how many blocks you use. What am I missing?

Dave Richards
01-28-2015, 9:20 AM
HUH? How long is the bit? I don't believe you can drill a hole that is deeper than the bit is long no matter how many blocks you use. What am I missing?

Good point, Richard. That's why I suggested a long bit and posted a link to a source. Evidently some folks must have a trick you and I don't know yet. :D

J.R. Rutter
01-28-2015, 1:52 PM
OP already bought a long drill bit. I think people are working from there...