PDA

View Full Version : Attn. Ft. Myers, FL Creekers

John Miliunas
07-25-2005, 6:53 PM
Looks like we'll be taking a trip down to that area to visit our daughter and new grandchild long about mid-Aug. (Yeah...I know. Poor time of year, but that's the only time which works well for us.:( ) Anyhow, any Creekers in the area? I'd sure be honored to meet up with some! Also, any points of WW interest in the immediate area? Not sure how much time I'll have available for visiting or touring particular WW interests, as I think #1 daughter already has "stuff" planned for us, but I'd like to MAKE some time for such activities. Give me a yell if interested or know of such WW "attractions".:) :cool:

Cecil Arnold
07-26-2005, 12:28 AM
John, aside from hot and humid, be on the look out for the other H word. Lots of golf, but beware the beach if you sunburn easily. Here in August it takes about 15 min. of full noon sun to become crispy.

Pete Simmons
07-26-2005, 7:02 AM
John - I make a pen with wood that comes from a tree Thomas Edison planted around 1914. Guess where the tree was planted, Ft Myers at the Edison / Ford museum. You might want to see if you can find a piece of this wood while you are there. The tree was a Morton Bay Fig Tree and I know there is still a lot of it in private hands over in Ft Myers.

For a little more info on the tree take a look at my woodpen website.

http://woodpenman.com/history.html

I hope no one thinks of this as an ad. I do not expect to sell pens to this group. I only want to point out a special wood that I would expect members here to build something with themselfs.

Kent Cori
07-26-2005, 9:56 AM
John.

I live in Gainesville and not too far off I-75. If you're driving, I'd be more than happy to fprovide you and your family lunch or dinner and swap woodworking experiences. Send me a PM with your schedule if you think this could work out for you.

John Miliunas
07-26-2005, 10:35 AM
John.

I live in Gainesville and not too far off I-75. If you're driving, I'd be more than happy to fprovide you and your family lunch or dinner and swap woodworking experiences. Send me a PM with your schedule if you think this could work out for you.

Kent, thanks to you and Donnie and a few others, who apparently, live pretty close to I-75 and have extended invites!:) Very kind of you, but alas, we are flying down. While I realize those fly-boys are good, I'm not sure they're prepared to set that big bird down on one of the Interstates!:eek: Oh, they could probably do it, but I'm thinking the folks cruising down the road might not appreciate it too much.:D Still, I certainly appreciate the offers from all concerned!:) :cool:

Jack Hogoboom
07-27-2005, 12:16 PM
John,

Wrong time of year!! My parents live down there in the winter, but you have to be nuts to go in August. It's much nicer in February and April. If you were going then, it'd be worth the trip down just to meet you.

I was in Melbourne Florida once in August and nearly died from the heat!!

If you want to see something extraordinary, rent a car and drive out to Sanibel and Captiva. There is wood there for the taking, most of it hurricane damage from last year that hasn't been cleaned up yet. Captiva and North Captiva got hammered pretty bad last year and there are these enormous piles of trees and shrubs all over the place. One match and they'd have quite a fire.

Enjoy your trip.

Jack

Jerry Clark
07-27-2005, 2:21 PM
Rent a car and drive out to Sanibel and Captiva. Also a drive through Ding Darling Wildlife center is a real treat with lots of wading birds and spoonbills-- a great photographer's spot. Captiva is a $$$$$ place for millionare houses and there are no addresses on the houses-- they just name them.:)

John Miliunas
07-27-2005, 2:28 PM
Rent a car and drive out to Sanibel and Captiva. Also a drive through Ding Darling Wildlife center is a real treat with lots of wading birds and spoonbills-- a great photographer's spot. Captiva is a $$$$$ place for millionare houses and there are no addresses on the houses-- they just name them.:)

Thanks for the tips, Jack & Jerry! We'll be close to both places, from what I understand, so will probably make the jaunt. As for naming the house, that's not a big deal. We named ours, too. Most times, it's called the "Poorhouse"!:D :) :cool:

Kevin Beck
07-27-2005, 3:05 PM
Sanibel and Captiva are definitely worth a visit. There is (was ?) a nice place to eat on Captiva called the Bubble Room. We spent 3 days on Sanibel a few years ago and would definitely go back. The beaches are beautiful (almost as nice as my home town of Pensacola).

Don't forget your bug spray. I've never seen anywhere in Florida with more no-see-ums. There is even a house on Captiva named No-See-Um.

Kevin

Jack Hogoboom
07-27-2005, 9:25 PM
Bubble Room is still there. Looked untouched by the hurricane. Great kitsch for those who are into it. They have awesome homemade thin cut french fries. More like chips. Get them with bacon and cheese. YUMMMMMM.....