PDA

View Full Version : Rank the tools in your shop in order of importance

Jared Walters
01-26-2015, 5:18 PM
I want to see how everyone answers the following questions.

1. What work do you primarily do in your shop. (What stuff do you make and is it done professionally or as a hobby?)

2. Three most important tools, ranked in order. These are the tools you use constantly or otherwise perform a task that you wouldn't want to do any other way. If one broke irreparably you would quickly buy another... etc

3. Three least important tools, ranked in order. Maybe things you thought you would use a lot more but didn't really need. Or it could be something where you have other acceptable means to perform the same tasks.

I'm just curious.

bob cohen
01-26-2015, 5:58 PM

1. What work do you primarily do in your shop. (What stuff do you make and is it done professionally or as a hobby?)

2. Three most important tools, ranked in order. These are the tools you use constantly or otherwise perform a task that you wouldn't want to do any other way. If one broke irreparably you would quickly buy another... etc

3. Three least important tools, ranked in order. Maybe things you thought you would use a lot more but didn't really need. Or it could be something where you have other acceptable means to perform the same tasks.

I'm just curious.

[QUOTE=Jared Walters;2366798]I want to see how everyone answers the following questions.

1. Hobbyist. fine furniture, mostly greene and greene style

1. Table saw
2. Planer
3. Jointer

I would quickly buy any of the above if one of my current machines failed. They are all essential in my mind

1. Festool domino (although it can sure come in handy)
2. no 7 jointer planer (great tool, but I can usually get by with my jack plane and smoother)
3. Leigh FMT jig. (I've used this a lot over the years, but I get better results, with custom jigs designed for the work at hand.

Mike Henderson
01-26-2015, 6:09 PM
1. Furniture, especially with veneer.

2. table saw (couldn't live without it)
Planer
Miter saw
Dust collector
ROS
Cordless tools (drill, driver, jig saw, Sawzall)
band saw
Scroll saw
router, full size and trim
lathe
Domino

3. Biscuit joiner (essentially useless)
Portable (hand held) planer (used it maybe two or three times)
A few specialized hand held planes that I bought and found that I never use.

Mike

John Sanford
01-26-2015, 6:12 PM
Usage: Hobby
Most important tools:
Workbench,
Cordless Drill,
Combination Square

Least important tools: too many to list.... picking three would sort of be silly. Three though do make the list

Slickplane. Simply didna work for me. Least important in this case = "useless".
Vega Lathe - got it as part of a package deal and haven't restored it yet. Just taking up space for now. My Jet Mini-Lathe has been used.
Benchtop Mortiser - inherited from my father, still NIB. "Useless" simply because I haven't had a need for it since I got it, although I have done a few projects where it would have been mighty handy, and may use it on my current workbench build.

btw, "least important" does not necessarily mean "useless." Well, it does with the Slickplane for me. I do have a jointer and a lunchbox planer that are "least important" because they've been rendered redundant and are in the "for sale" category, but before redundancy, they were used quite a bit.

ken masoumi
01-26-2015, 6:34 PM
A)Hobby
1=Bandsaw
2=table saw
3=planer/jointer
Least important:
I use all my tools ,some not as often but they are still important.
Least used tools:
Scroll saw.
router
biscuit jointer

Jim Matthews
01-26-2015, 6:53 PM
#4 plane
3/4 inch Marples chisel
MM20 bandsaw

Hobbyist with no professional aspirations.

Mike Cutler
01-26-2015, 7:21 PM
Most used
1. Jointer
2. Planer
3. Bandsaw

Least used and could disappear without a problem
1. Pneumatic brad nailer
2. Pneumatic stapler
3. Oscillating cutoff tool.

Tool anyone is allowed to borrow and I don't care if it comes back.
1. Porter Cable air compressor. (I really gotta put a free sign on this thing and put it on the curb.)

David Delo
01-26-2015, 8:44 PM
Most Important:

Lathe
Dust Collector
Bandsaw

Least Important:

Kreg Pocket Hole
Horizontal Router Table
Scroll Saw

Frederick Skelly
01-26-2015, 8:58 PM

I'm just curious.

1. Hobbyist. Small and medium sized furniture. Decorative boxes.

2. Tablesaw, Drill Press, Smoothing Planes. A 4th item: Marples blue handled chisels

3. Kreg jig, Electric router (havent used in months), scrollsaw.

Cary Falk
01-26-2015, 9:03 PM
1)Hobbiest and homeowner Furnature, home improvement, and anything else under the sun.
2)Table Saw, Jointer, Planer.
3)Drill press, Lathe, RAS.

Paul McGaha
01-26-2015, 9:14 PM
Hi Jared,

As to your questions:

1. I'm a hobbyist.

2. My most used tools would be the table saw, miter saw, jointer, planer and dust collector. Hope you don't mind that I listed all my core tools.

3. My least important tools: Belt Sander, Not sure what else.

Shawn Pixley
01-26-2015, 9:14 PM
1. Hobbyist, art furniture for me & gifts for others. Stuff for the house for the common good.

2. Most used tools in order (I am ignoring non-woodworking tools):
Squares and rules (without this, there is lttle use / need for the other tools)
Table saw
Handplanes - jointer to block planes incl spokeshaves
Chisels
Clamps
Sharpening stones
Hand saws
Band saw
Router plane and inlay tools
Drills and drill press
Drum sander

3.Least used tools:
Thickness planer
Belt sander
Pneumatic nailers
Hand router / router table
Mortiser
Lathe

In truth, I could live without the least used tools. They do get used but less frequently than the others. The planer hasn't seen action in a year and one half.

Jim Finn
01-26-2015, 9:53 PM
I am a hobbiest that sells everything I make. I make artsey crafty stuff with a lot of inaly work.
#1 tool: Scroll saw
#2 tool: stationary 6" belt sander
#3 tool: 14" band saw

James Baker SD
01-26-2015, 10:01 PM
hobbyist, furniture and home upgrades.
most used:
1. Dust collector (bad lungs already)
2. sliding table saw
3. jointer/planer combo
least used:
too many dumb purchases to list

Max Neu
01-26-2015, 10:09 PM
Cabinetmaker,furniture maker (full time profession)
Most important
1- Slider
2-Cut off saw
3-Shaper
Least important;
Festool Domino
drill press
Hand tools

J.R. Rutter
01-26-2015, 10:18 PM
Professional, cabinet doors + millwork

Most important:
Cut off saw with Tigerstop
Shapers
Widebelt sander

Gathering dust:
Blum mini press (everyone bores their own)
Mortiser
Track saw

Brett Robson
01-26-2015, 11:12 PM
Hobbyist - mostly antique style furniture.

Most important:
1- table saw
2- planer/jointer and the RAS are all probably tied for 2nd
3- various hand tools

Least important:
1- dovetail jig. I really should just give the thing away, I can't recall the last time I used it.
2- biscuit jointer. I never use it for furniture, but once in a blue moon for plywood based shop/DIY projects.
3- circular saw. I hate it. It's buried out in the garage somewhere. Another tool I should give away.

Andrew Joiner
01-27-2015, 12:33 AM
1.When I was a pro from 1970 to 1991 cabinets to millwork but mostly office furniture.
2.Table saw, vertical panel saw and radial arm saw.
3. Jointer (I bought S3S lumber), double spindle carving machine, hand planes.

1.Now a hobbyist making modern furniture for me and friends.
2.Table saw, vertical panel saw and radial arm saw. If you add sanders,planer,routers and drills that's 90% of it.
3.Hand planes and a RO sander that vibrates to much. I have some totally unused tools that need new batteries because new tools with batteries don't cost much more.

When I was a pro I could easily justify the purchase of a special tool or machine for a unique job. The profits paid for it. I rarely used a lathe yet I needed one in 1978. It was one of biggest most profitable jobs I ever did. The lathe and carving machine got used a lot on that job, but rarely after that.
You didn't ask but I have some favorite tools. Tools that are a pleasure to work with. The vertical panel saw is one. So easy and fast for one person to precisely cut up 4x8 sheets. Another is a Ridgid 12 volt driver/drill. I love the big ratcheting chuck and lifetime battery warranty. I love my cheap lunchbox planer. It performs perfectly after 7 years of hobby use. I flatten big heavy slabs with it and I smile every time I do.

People often complain about the loss of all the USA made tools. I worked with them and made a good living with them. I am however amazed at the quality of work one can produce with the low-cost tools readily available today.

Mike Heidrick
01-27-2015, 1:30 AM
Hobbyist that sells products on ebay and does CNC jobs by request

Most important woodworking tools:
CNC router
Tablesaw
SCMS
Jointer/Planer
ROS
MillDrill
Other routers
Shaper
Clamps
Bench

Would fix any immediately or replace

Rarely used
horiz mortiser
hand planes
biscuit cutter

Jared Walters
01-27-2015, 2:53 AM
Lots of people have biscuit jointers and don't really use them haha.

I forgot to rank my own.

1. Hobbyist... small furniture and boxes. I use almost exclusively hand tools.

2. Combo square (been picked up three times as much as any other tool), jack plane, dozuki saws

3. Mortise chisels, cabinet scraper, smoothing plane (its not in the best shape and isn't as good a performer as my others)

Brian W Smith
01-27-2015, 7:37 AM
1-Pro job shop

2-measuring equipment

3-drafting machine/books/resource material

Brian Tymchak
01-27-2015, 8:11 AM
1. Hobbyist, home furnishings, moving soon into turning

2. Workbench, dust collector, tablesaw

3. Drill Doctor, Oscillating spindle sander, wet-wheel sharpener

Jesse Busenitz
01-27-2015, 8:28 AM
1. Full time( just not a professional:-) Furniture, but now mainly cabinets.

2.Table saw, Miter saw, Jointer/planer

3. Mortiser, 14" and 21" bandsaw when building cabinets Opposite if building furniture.

Jerry Olexa
01-27-2015, 8:28 AM
I build furniture mostly so: in order

Table saw
Routers/router table
Workbench
jointer planer
clamps

Kelly Cleveland
01-27-2015, 9:06 AM
1. Hobbyist, mostly small projects when i'm not working on my pipe organ.
2.Bandsaw, Tablesaw, smoothing plane
3.Dremel, jigsaw, finish sander

Rod Sheridan
01-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Hi Jared, due to my machinery assortment I get to cheat a little :-)

I'm a hobby user who makes solid wood furniture, often A&C or Greene & Greene

1) Slidingsaw/shaper

2) Jointer/planer

3) Hand tools

Least used tools

- biscuit joiner

- electric router (used once )

regards, Rod.

Mike Schuch
01-27-2015, 2:32 PM
1) Hobbyist - Furniture, Home renovations, anything I can dream up.

2) Most important tools - Table saw, Radial arm saw, Jointer, Planer, Router, Sanders, Shaper.

3) Least used tools - Band saw, profile sander, Wood Lathe, Scroll saw, Biscuit joiner.

4) Best luxury tool - Horizontal boring machine!

Lee Reep
01-27-2015, 4:11 PM
1. I'm a hobbyist, and the work I do varies, and so therefore my primary tools.

2. In general, it would be radial arm saw (my first major power tool purchase in 1976) for all my crosscutting at 90 degrees, (angled cuts done on my compound miter saw). Next saw is table saw, but mostly for ripping. Then jointer, planer, and bandsaw. Now that I am remodeling our house, the track saw is important for breaking down sheet goods for cabinetry. And routers, handheld and in the table, in support of any custom trim and edge finishing. Most of my non-remodeling efforts go to woodturning, my newest addiction in the past 5 years, so that puts lathe high on the list.

3. Least important tools for me are the scroll saw (zero patience for all the effort required!), and the biscuit joiner (used twice in maybe 7-8 years).

Mark Wooden
01-27-2015, 4:36 PM
Small pro shop, make just about anything but mostly architectural millwork
Most important-
Table and radial arm saw(s)
Jointer(s) and Planer(s) - if it's not flat and straight in applicable planes, it's firewood
Shaper(s)
(Actually, I wouldn't want to be without any of my machinery, but would get by without my SCMS easily)

Secondary importance (but in use almost daily)
AutoCad
Hand tools- squares, layout rules and straight edges, planes, files and rasps
ROS
Biscuit joiners-(NO Domino, have a mortiser and don't need or want one;))
Lipping planer
Routers

Least important-
Hand held belt sander
Any gimicky tool

Mike Ontko
01-27-2015, 4:42 PM

>>Desired: (fine) furniture
>>Actual (as of today's date): equipment setup, cleaning/rearranging, jig construction, prototype construction, garden trellis construction, tool sharpening

>>Tablesaw and mitersaw for sure. Possibly jointer and planer after that. Routers possibly, or my dust collector , if you consider that a tool.

>>Since I'm just starting out, mine is a shop of economy--I only buy tools based on project need. So perhaps, my least important would be those tools I'd used previously for home remodeling/renovation: plumbing torches (MAP & propane), drywall equipment (compound knives, trowels, square, hammer), concrete nailer gun, et al.

Alan Bienlein
01-27-2015, 8:29 PM
Impossible to rank them because whats important to do one job isn't important or needed on another job.

Keith Weber
01-28-2015, 12:12 AM
Hobby woodworker/metalworker/fabricator.

Most important tool in my shop is my brain (it stops me from getting mangled by the other tools.) After that, it's hard to place them in order. It depends on the task of the day. I couldn't imagine woodworking without a tablesaw. The most used thing in my shop is probably my cordless drill.

Useless tools? I guess that equates to most seldom-used tools, in a way. If so, then probably reciprocating saw, biscuit joiner, and any drill bits made in China.

Rick Potter
01-28-2015, 2:07 AM
Hobby, I do whatever we need.

Most used Power tools:
1. Table saw
2. RAS
3. Router table

Least used Power tools:
1. Profile sander
2. Mortiser
3. Drill doctor

Dave Fuller
01-28-2015, 4:43 AM
Hobby (furniture & home improvement)

1) table saw
2) chop saw
3) domino(s)

1) lathe
2) mortising machine
3) biscuit joiner

l love using a lathe but never have a reason to do so

Mike Circo
01-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Me: Hobbyist making all manner of furniture for my extended family.

Top 3 - Must have.
Radial Arm Saw (used on every single project, I don't understand the bias against this tool)
Table saw (ripping, dadoing etc that I can't do on the RAS)
Router table (Saw somebody else mention it and realized how often I depend on it.)

Least used:
Dovetail jig/tool (Granted it is a Sears version and not that good)
Drill press (Don't know why, I just don't use it often. Mostly used as a spindle sander)
Wet/Dry Sharpener (Stones or sandpaper on glass work 100% better and cheaper)

scott spencer
01-28-2015, 12:16 PM

1. Mostly furniture and "stuff" for family and friends...."stuff" includes a couple of guitars, a pergola, and some cutting boards. Strictly a hobby.

2. 1) Table saw 2) Router 3)Planer 3.5) jointer

3. 1) Wixey DRO for the saw 2) CMS 3) Japanese pull saw