PDA

View Full Version : Condor Tails - which bandsaw and blade?

John Sanford
01-26-2015, 2:12 PM
I'm going to be cutting the condor tails for my new bench soon, and was wondering what the accumulated wisdom is regarding bandsaw and blade.

I have two bandsaws, Papa Griggio (a 24" Eyetalian stallion) with a 1/2"+ blade, and a 14" chinese Delta clone of the classic Delta, currently fitted with a 1/4" blade. Papa Griggio is more of a hassle to use because of my wiring situation, but he does have a fence, and more power. The 14" is easier to use, but is both much higher (relevant when it's time to support a 9'+ long board that is having the end cut) and lacks a fence. I do have a variety of different blades for both saws, including a 1/2" for the Delta, so feel free to suggest other blade options.

Prashun Patel
01-26-2015, 2:22 PM
I've been cutting my dovetails on the bandsaw. I use blades that are 3/8" and 1/2", and they both work fine.

Even on a bench, the thickness won't tax your 14" saw. I think it would do fine, but I would prefer having a fence to get a straight cut.

Jason Matisheck
01-26-2015, 7:33 PM
I just did this last month. Used a 14" Delta with a fence and 3/8 (I think) blade. Used roller stands to support the rest of the board. With the taper jig it was easy, but you really need a fence to run against. My cut was rather rough so I smoothed the faces with a float before marking the pins.

Michael Peet
01-26-2015, 9:07 PM
I made an angled fence for my bandsaw. It has a stop on each end, which makes it reversible so you can cut both angles. Just used a 3/8" woodslicer, I think. Doesn't have to be special.

Pare out the waste with a chisel:

Dunno if you have a dovetail saw, but if so just cut and clear the sockets like any half-blind dovetail. Believe it or not, the large size makes these easier than small ones.

Mike