PDA

View Full Version : 36" of snow? Please be careful!!!

Phil Thien
01-26-2015, 9:53 AM
This storm is a widowmaker on steroids.

If you live in the region, please be extremely careful.

So what is the strategy here? It seems trying to clear the snow several times during the storm would be pointless and exhausting.

And waiting until there is 36" of snow to clear would make that job impossible w/o some big gear.

I once lamented a 14" (I think) snowstorm heading towards Milwaukee and Ken Fitzgerald's advice was extremely sage: Drink coffee, watch the snow.

Rod Sheridan
01-26-2015, 10:21 AM
Good thoughts Phil.

When it snows like that, I put extra seeds in the birdfeeder, make a pot of Earl Grey and stay home and watch the beautiful snow fall.

I do head out with the snowblower and clear it when it hits about a foot deep though.

Hope the people head home before the storm hits................Rod.

Jason Roehl
01-26-2015, 10:31 AM
For 36", I would go for the strategy of clearing multiple times, probably no more than 4-6" at a time.

Having driven a plow truck (parking lots, not roads) for about 7 years now, there are several reasons. One, it's easier on equipment. If you're shoveling a driveway, that can mean both the shovel and you, but those are more easily controlled than in a truck (easy to limit how much you put on the shovel--that may not be possible in a truck with a plow). Two, temperatures often drop hard after a big snowfall and can "lock up" the snow, making it that much harder to clear. Three, if you stay on top of it, and there's a medical emergency in your household, then at most you're 4-6" away from being able to get out, and most vehicles can drive through that anyway. That's much better than not being able to get through 36".

That said, if we got 36" of snow (that would probably be a 200 year storm for us), I would probably be looking at a couple of 100+ hour weeks of work (and a pretty fat paycheck). So far my record is 74 hours, which was last year when we got 10", then 2" a few days later. I started work on a Sunday morning at about 8 AM, and was on overtime by Tuesday evening.

George Bokros
01-26-2015, 10:35 AM
My strategy would be like Jason's. Better to clear in small amounts that have to work that hard with a shovel or show blower. Also Jason is also correct it is easier on equipment and easier to control the plow.

Pat Barry
01-26-2015, 10:50 AM
Being its the east coast that snow will likely be wet and heavy therefore frequent doses of shoveling would be the way I would go for sure. Lower heart attack potential that way.

Marty Gulseth
01-26-2015, 10:56 AM
Just best wishes and be safe, easterners!

Regards, Marty

Phil Thien
01-26-2015, 11:02 AM
That said, if we got 36" of snow (that would probably be a 200 year storm for us), I would probably be looking at a couple of 100+ hour weeks of work (and a pretty fat paycheck). So far my record is 74 hours, which was last year when we got 10", then 2" a few days later. I started work on a Sunday morning at about 8 AM, and was on overtime by Tuesday evening.

Yeah 36" here would be a game changer. I love my Toro single-stage snow spanker, it can handle 10" to 12" if pushed. But 36" even in a bunch of passes would overwhelm the thing.

I'll cross my fingers that the storm isn't nearly as bad as they predict.

roger wiegand
01-26-2015, 11:20 AM
I'm waxing my skis and tightening up my snowshoes!

(and being from the midwest originally can barely resist the urge to go out and drive around while everyone in their right minds is off the roads and at home)

Jerome Stanek
01-26-2015, 11:36 AM
The problem is going to be the blowing snow. it will fill back in in minutes if they are right about the amount and wind

Anthony Whitesell
01-26-2015, 11:51 AM
Being its the east coast that snow will likely be wet and heavy therefore frequent doses of shoveling would be the way I would go for sure. Lower heart attack potential that way.

According to the forecast, we're not supposed to be above freezing until Thursday. That should keep it light and fluffy. I will probably clear the porch of in small amounts throughout. As for the driveway, that will depend on the consistency. Light and fluffy, probably once halfway through mostly so the bank at the end of the driveway doesn't become too huge. It gets wet and heavy then maybe two or three times.

Bert Kemp
01-26-2015, 12:27 PM
I had a Honda 2 stage on trac's when I lived in NH that thing would go thru 36" like butter

Mike Cutler
01-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Clear multiple times depending on the capacity of your equipment.
Bigger issue is roofs. 2 feet of snow has to come off the roof, especially where I live.
SE. Connecticut gets a cycle of snow, rain, freezing rain and ice. It never just snows here and stays that way. 2 feet of snow left on the roof when the weather warms and the rain/ freezing rain cycle starts, and you have a huge problem.

Phil Thien
01-26-2015, 2:02 PM
I had a Honda 2 stage on trac's when I lived in NH that thing would go thru 36" like butter

The largest 2-stage blowers I typically see have an inlet that is 18" to 20" high. Do these do a pretty good job on snow higher than the inlet?

Larry Edgerton
01-26-2015, 2:29 PM
For 36", I would go for the strategy of clearing multiple times, probably no more than 4-6" at a time.

Having driven a plow truck (parking lots, not roads) for about 7 years now, there are several reasons. One, it's easier on equipment. If you're shoveling a driveway, that can mean both the shovel and you, but those are more easily controlled than in a truck (easy to limit how much you put on the shovel--that may not be possible in a truck with a plow). Two, temperatures often drop hard after a big snowfall and can "lock up" the snow, making it that much harder to clear. Three, if you stay on top of it, and there's a medical emergency in your household, then at most you're 4-6" away from being able to get out, and most vehicles can drive through that anyway. That's much better than not being able to get through 36".

Jason, winds are supposed to be up to 75 MPH, so I have to disagree. Wait till its over and you will move a lot less volume of snow, and will be a lot safer. Windchill with that kind of wind even at moderate temps can be brutal if not deadly. If you build up banks by shoveling it will just drift back in even deeper.

A lineman friend of mine was at my house for dinner last night when he got the call to get his crew together and head for Long Island. Apparently they think it will cause some outages.

Jason Roehl
01-26-2015, 5:49 PM
I hadn't heard about the 75-MPH winds. I honestly don't know what we'd do with that kind of wind with snow (can't imagine it happening here with a snowstorm, but we do get straight-line winds like that, and more, with thunderstorms in the summer). I've certainly been out in the 40+ MPH blowing snow, and while it's not fun, it's doable. You do have to move the snow downwind, though, or you'll just make it worse for yourself.

Dave Anderson NH
01-26-2015, 8:11 PM
Here in NH and in MA too for that matter they have already declared a state of ememrgency and no one but esential service personnel are allowed on the roads starting at midnight. Here we expect 18-25" according to the latest forecast. The temps will be in the high teens, the winds 35+ mph with gusts to 75, but the snow will be light and fluffy. Since I'm stuck at home all day tomorrow with work cancelled I'll just play it by ear. I've plenty of wood for the woodstove if needed, and in case of a power outage I have a 14kw propane generator. I'll shovel and snow blow based on how the wind ends up. It's too easy to overplan things and then have to modify based on what really happens.

By the way, my 2 stage Simplicity will handle snow deeper than the throat by just slowly nibbling away until I reach a depth less than the throat and then it's full speed ahead.

Val Kosmider
01-26-2015, 8:21 PM
I lived in the snowiest city in the US for several years. 2011, I think, we had just over 200 inches....120 in December alone. Dumps of a couple of feet of lake effect were quite common.

On the really big ones, you got out about every foot and clear it away. I used an Ariens 24" snow blower with a nine HP engine. For the most part, it did a great job. If the snow was REALLY wet it was work; and when the wind blew, as is the case with the current storm, and the drift outside the garage door was up to the top of the door, it took an effort with the manual shovel to get started.

And then there was that 6 foot bank at the end of the driveway where the Oskosh plow from the town came by....

All in all, you have to stay on top of it and nibble away a little bit at a time. If you wait till the end of the storm there is always somebody running around with a bucket loader willing to dig you out....for a price.

Ken Platt
01-26-2015, 10:20 PM
Trying to decide about whether to wait and clear at one go vs easier but multiple times is why I gave away my Ariens walk-behind and bought a 60" wide snowblower with a tractor. I just adjust how fast I drive to the weight of the snow - although usually faster is better, it seems to drive the snow up and out the chute better when it's really wet. Slow down and it clogs.

With snow this light, it'll be pedal to the metal, which sounds a lot faster than it really is, of course. Still, the 300' driveway is the least of my work. I have to do the chicken's run by hand....and then there's the deck.

I love, love, love that snowblower. Snow like this it'll blow 30' away easy.

Ken

Jebediah Eckert
01-26-2015, 10:26 PM
I'm in it now and winds are whistling. I have a few beers cooling out in the snow. As soon as I grab one the hole that it left is filled in within minutes. Not going to be fun. I will have to play it be ear tomorrow. I have a tractor with a plow on front. I may just give it a quick clear I'm the morning. If it all blows back I'm only out my time.

Ken, we may be neighbors? Small world. Haha

John Coloccia
01-26-2015, 11:50 PM
I'm right in Bolton but sort of live off in the woods. With the wind the way it is, I'll be waiting until it lets up a bit. I don't really want to get whacked in the head with a tree, snow or no snow.

Pat Barry
01-27-2015, 7:43 AM
Anyone got pictures?

Also, yesterday lots of the folks I talked to here in Minny are a bit jealous - they have no snow so their snomobiles are sitting idle in the garage.

Jim Matthews
01-27-2015, 9:39 AM
I dunno about the locals near you, but "down heya" by the Rhode Island coast,
the Swamp Yankees were in all out panic, yesterday.

Today, they're ticked off that nothing bad happened.
There's just no pleasing Massholes, is there?

(I moved here from the foot of the Adirondacks in New York. I've never lived near people so ill-prepared for predictable weather.)

Jim Matthews
01-27-2015, 9:42 AM
It's just enough to get my kids excited, and tire out the dogs.

No big deal. Schools are closed, mass transit stopped and people
will be eating bread and milk for a month before they see the
back of their refrigerators again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R-7kmmWRJo

roger wiegand
01-27-2015, 10:06 AM
http://carouselorgan.smugmug.com/Other/281Concord/i-MxbBH2M/0/M/IMG_0753-M.jpg (http://carouselorgan.smugmug.com/Other/281Concord/i-MxbBH2M/A)

Haven't ventured out to the shop this morning.

Cody Kemble
01-27-2015, 11:12 AM
Not going anywhere. I finished moving in Sunday night and had no time to prepare for this.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/webkit-fake-url://94ff7edb-2516-438d-b8a6-b017f8196e07/imagejpeghttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/webkit-fake-url://da00a85b-a13a-4c7f-abbe-e7197b645e03/imagejpeg

Paul McGaha
01-27-2015, 11:14 AM
Not going anywhere. I finished moving in Sunday night and had no time to prepare for this.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/webkit-fake-url://94ff7edb-2516-438d-b8a6-b017f8196e07/imagejpeghttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/webkit-fake-url://da00a85b-a13a-4c7f-abbe-e7197b645e03/imagejpeg

How much snow did you get Cody? I'd guess you're pretty close to 3 foot.

Cody Kemble
01-27-2015, 11:27 AM
It's hard to tell with the drifts. The deck has just over 20" and in front it just crests a concrete bench that is around 2'. All in all I'd say close to 24". It has drifted over waist high at the garage and it should continue through the afternoon.

Dave Anderson NH
01-27-2015, 7:26 PM
As of 7:20 EST we have 30" with the oddball drift of 4-5 feet. The winds weren't as bad as forecast at least where I live thought they were up to maybe 30mph. It is currently still snowing lightly and we expect maybe another 3-4 inches before things wind down. Right now the driveway is clear, the deck and patio are clear and there is easy access to the 2 propane tanks of 120 gallons and the generator they feed (if necessary).

The bottom line: It's NH, it's winter, it snows. That's just the way it is.

John Coloccia
01-27-2015, 8:52 PM
It's hard to tell with the drifts. The deck has just over 20" and in front it just crests a concrete bench that is around 2'. All in all I'd say close to 24". It has drifted over waist high at the garage and it should continue through the afternoon.

That's about what I was guessing too. All in all, not too bad really. Just a lot of digging. I was expecting a lot worse.

Keith Westfall
01-28-2015, 12:28 AM
Cody,

Looks like it has turned your world upside down!! Hope you (and all the rest) get through it OK.

klw