PDA

View Full Version : Interesting threaded insert (wide and shallow) that I cannot find anywhere else...

Joe Williams
01-25-2015, 8:49 PM
Hello,

I am making a phenolic (1/8 or 1/4") throat base for my Large Open Lie Nielsen router plane and I am looking for threaded inserts that I can use to attach it. Given the depth I want to use, there are very few options for threaded inserts, in fact I have found only one company that makes them wide and shallow enough to work. My goal is to make a base for the router plane so that I can even use the included fence and I do not want to go thicker than 1/4" because then the depth of cut would be too limited.

http://www.theinsertcompany.com/brass_multi_micro_inserts_for_plastic.php

They don't seem to have any ability to sell the US, anyone else interested in these? Anyone have any sources that may work? I have looked for quite a few hours now without finding anything.

Thanks!

glenn bradley
01-25-2015, 9:05 PM
These (http://www.rockler.com/low-profile-threaded-insert) are close but not designed for plastic necessarily.

Joe Williams
01-25-2015, 9:11 PM
Thanks :) Those are closer for sure, I forgot to mention I want brass if at all possible. The CE Phenolic is pretty much like a cross between hardwood and plastic I had heard, I may just epoxy them in there if I have to.

Bruce Page
01-25-2015, 9:23 PM
Google PEM Nuts. They are intended for sheet metal use but there might be something you could use.

Joe Williams
01-25-2015, 10:28 PM
Thanks! Looks like the PEM nuts are the best bet yet.

Jamie Buxton
01-25-2015, 10:42 PM
Have you considered making the whole throat base from brass, and tapping directly into it?

Joe Williams
01-25-2015, 11:15 PM
That sounds like a great idea actually, not sure where to begin, never have tried it. Gives me something to search for! Thank you

Carl Carew
01-26-2015, 4:40 PM
possible source for shallow threaded inserts http://www.pemnet.com/fastening_products/pem-self-clinching-fastener_new.html

Joe Williams
01-27-2015, 2:45 PM
Thank you all for the assistance, I was able to get the European manufacturer to send me the original shallow inserts as well as ordering some from PEM, I picked up 10 connects of several types to have around so that I won't need to order next time I need them. I'll post my completed jig when done :)

Community here is the best!

Joe Williams
02-13-2015, 10:34 AM
I finally received these from Europe and they are very cool and very expensive. It cost me 200.00 with shipping to get 6 packages of 12 each, they range in size from 2mm to 4.70mm. The tiny ones must be hell to manufacture.

These look like ideal panel to panel fasteners.

Attaching some photos.

Thanks
Joe

Brian W Smith
02-16-2015, 7:35 AM
A little pricey but look like they're very nice and will do the job.

Besides the usual threaded brass inserts we've used Heli-coils to very good effect.They come with applied,thread locking "stuff" on the external threads.We clean that off and use epoxy for setting them in wood.They are right much shorter than the typical brass woodserts.

Bill Adamsen
03-01-2015, 9:48 AM
Assuming the knurling goes on the inside to grip ... sort of like a carriage bolt head. The items on the right look like the "standard profile" PEM? Thanks for sharing.

Jim Koepke
03-09-2015, 1:45 PM
For my router plane the problem was solved by countersinking the screw heads in the base and putting the nuts in the top side of the router plane.

Not as pretty, but it works.

jtk

Bill Huber
03-09-2015, 2:36 PM
I am not sure I understand the router plan and how you are going to attach it.

You can tap phenolic with a normal tap, I have done this many times making zero inserts for my table saw. I tap the insert for the set screws and the phenolic is just under 1/4" where I tap it.