PDA

View Full Version : Baby bowl emerging

Paul Williams
01-25-2015, 3:49 PM
When asked how I did a particular turning I often say I spun it on the lathe and cut away everything that didn't look like a bowl. There is another explanation. Baby bowls emerge from blocks of wood and then grow into bigger bowls.

I really liked the looks of the emerging bowl that Steve Doerr recently posted. I looked up the article from Irwin Seidman that
Steve referred to and decided to try it.

305050 305051

This was my first attempt. It is small. The bowl is only 3 inches across. On the second half I did a better job of re-centering to hollow out the bowl and did less trimming of the ends and bottom. I like the second one a lot better. Now to find a bigger piece of wood.

By the way this is the piece of maple that I asked about drying a few weeks ago. I ended up removing the wax and putting it in a food dehydrator for three days. It measured 16% when I turned it. No cracking or movement so far.

Peter Blair
01-25-2015, 5:55 PM
Love these! Nice bowls can't wait to see you post your larger ones . . .

Steve Doerr
01-25-2015, 8:30 PM
Paul, nice job on your first emerging bowl. Re-centering to turn the inside is not an easy task. One of the thinks that I'm going to be working on is turning some spheres. I figure this should help with turning the outside and might even reduce some of the reshaping that needs to be done during the finishing process. Keep up the good work and I'll be anxious to see your next one.
Steve

Thomas Heck
01-25-2015, 8:56 PM
Great job! Looks like you've done several. If I ever attempt one, hope my first one looks this good.

Paul Williams
01-25-2015, 9:40 PM
"might even reduce some of the reshaping....." Sounds like I might not be the only one who had that problem. I used carpet tape to mount the piece. It had a bit of give in it. So for the second one (other half) I mounted loosely then turned the lathe on and held a pencil against it to draw the inside circle. Then I pushed it around until I got the best center, and fixed everything in place with hot melt glue. The second one was a lot better than the one I posted.

I also decided that looking for one large piece of wood is a waste of time. Since I am going to cut it apart anyway it is easier to find two square pieces and mount them side by side. Perhaps glue the ends together like you would an inside out turning block. I have a 4x4 piece of elm that is likely to be my next attempt. I figure I can get a bowl that is 6 to 7 inches diameter with two pieces mounted side by side.

Randy Red Bemont
01-26-2015, 7:14 AM
That is pretty awesome. Once I get set up to turn, that will have to be on my bucket list of things to try. I'll have to look up that article you mentioned. Thanks for posting.

Red