PDA

View Full Version : Black Walnut platter with feather, 11.5"

Leo Van Der Loo
01-25-2015, 12:46 AM
Rough turned this piece of crotch wood in 2006 and let it sit and dry, finally returned it late last summer and it had bowed enough that I lost the recess after turning the top side flat and then the bottom side.

So I picked a small block of dry Mulberry and glued that onto the bottom, turned it round and again set it away to do some other stuff.

A couple of weeks ago I picked it up again and found that it had moved a bit more, so returned the top side and the rim and finished that, after a few coats I stuck it in the Mega Jumbo taws and returned the bottom side and then removed the block.

Brought it inside and wiped a coat of finish on it and promptly forgot to wipe the finish off again :rolleyes:, so now It sits here with a thick layer on it, slowly getting hard, probably have to sand it all off and redo it, but I will first try to sand it just smooth, maybe that will work, if not it will just take some more sanding, which I hate to have to do :mad:

305029 305028 305030

305031 305032 305033 305034

Jim Seyfried
01-25-2015, 9:22 AM
Walnut is one of my favorites and the feather figure in this is great! You do an excellent job on making a flat platter...too bad about the finish. How big is this platter? You sure are a patient man Leo!

Tim Browne
01-25-2015, 10:01 AM
That platter looks so good, both the figure and your turning, it'll be well worth the effort. When it's done, a piece like that deserves to be displayed along with the story of how it fought you all along the way.

Sid Matheny
01-25-2015, 7:19 PM
That is a wonderful piece of walnut and you sure did it justice Leo!

Sid

charlie knighton
01-26-2015, 7:46 AM
thanks for sharing Leo, beauty

Thom Sturgill
01-26-2015, 10:48 AM
Beautiful piece of wood and looks like you caught the feather perfectly. Will be very much worth the work put into it.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-26-2015, 11:16 PM
Walnut is one of my favorites and the feather figure in this is great! You do an excellent job on making a flat platter...too bad about the finish. How big is this platter? You sure are a patient man Leo!

Thanks Jim :), The platter is 11.5 inches Jim, Thanks.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-26-2015, 11:21 PM
That platter looks so good, both the figure and your turning, it'll be well worth the effort. When it's done, a piece like that deserves to be displayed along with the story of how it fought you all along the way.

Thanks for commenting Tim :), I do like turning, ... re-moving/sanding a finish because of my own fault, not so much :o

Leo Van Der Loo
01-26-2015, 11:23 PM
That is a wonderful piece of walnut and you sure did it justice Leo!

Sid

Hi Sid :), how are you keeping, hope you are doing well, and yes thanks for commenting 305194

Leo Van Der Loo
01-26-2015, 11:26 PM
thanks for sharing Leo, beauty

Charlie it is certainly a work of art by Mother Nature, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to turn it :D, thanks.

Leo Van Der Loo
01-26-2015, 11:29 PM
Beautiful piece of wood and looks like you caught the feather perfectly. Will be very much worth the work put into it.

Thanks Thom :), It certainly makes you feel good when you are able to work a chunk of wood into a nice looking piece like this :D