PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Charlotte, NC

David Perkins
07-25-2005, 12:59 PM
My wife has a conference in Charlotte the first full week in December and wants me to accompany her ;) . What things are there to do for a guy that is into woodworking, fly fishing and cars?
I found a few things with the Lowes motor speedway but not much else.
Thanks David

Chris DiCiaccio
07-25-2005, 7:59 PM
For the fly fishing you should check out Jesse Brown Outdoors in Quail Corner Shopping Center at the corner of fairview rd and sharon rd. http://www.jessebrown.com. For Woodworking there is Woodcraft: 1725 Windsor Square Dr. Matthews, NC 704-847-8300. Hope this helps.

Jim Dalton
07-27-2005, 6:04 PM
For cars the area around the speedway just north in Cabarrus county is populated by dozens of NASCAR shops. Almost all are open and you can just walk in and hang out with the guys.

Jesse Brown's outdoors should not be missed. North of there on Park Rd in the Park Rd shopping center is Great Outdoor Provision Company, also good. Also in that center is McCranie's pipe and tobacco, one of the country's best if you are into that. I lived in Charlotte for 35 years, been gone 2. There were rumors of an Orvis store coming. There is great fishing on the local lakes, The Catawba river has been dammed in several places to form Mountain Island Lake, Lake Norman, and Lake Wylie. Local bait shops are the best source of information.

If you like to see other woodworkers work, several galleries have decent collections. Check out the Red Sky Gallery at Phillips Place, and several galleries downtown.