PDA

View Full Version : Some of my pictures i lasered engrave

Junior hall
01-24-2015, 9:03 PM
Here are some lasered engraved pictures i done on oak wood then stained them with gunstock stain from Wal Mart

Dan Hintz
01-25-2015, 7:59 AM
It's difficult to provide any useful feedback when you keep providing us with such poorly lit pictures, Junior. Either turn on some more lights or take them outside during the day.

I still don't see much color in your engravings, and I'm wondering if you are processing your photos incorrectly. For example, in your MLK (first pic), even the letters (which should be pure in color) fade in and out.

Bill George
01-25-2015, 8:20 AM
And besides dark and blurry pictures, Oak is a poor medium for engraving or most lighter wood unless you color fill. The Search function here is a great resource.

Frank barry
01-25-2015, 8:42 AM
Hi I am new to the laser world but i would suggest you start with something simple and learn from that as often we try to run before we walk which never works out well (well it hasn't for me) as Bill said oak is not the best to engrave so its not the best place to start stick with it you will get there

Junior hall
01-25-2015, 11:33 AM
what kind of wood would you suggest

disregard i found the types of wood best to laser engrave and they have them at Home Depot alder ,maple, popular, cherry, and they all are in sheets of plywood

Thanks

Bert Kemp
01-25-2015, 12:43 PM
Junior get some Baltic birch its cheap and it engraves well, also buy your self a cheap camera with a flash. so we can see what it is your doing wrong.The pictures are so bad your never going to get any meaningful help. All we can do is to tell you to keep trying.

Junior hall
01-25-2015, 2:38 PM
Thanks Bert Kemp i will see if they have Baltic birch at home depot

Bert Kemp
01-25-2015, 5:42 PM
Junior Do you have a woodworkers Source near you, or a woodcrafters, they carry a good grade of Baltic birch,Home depot I think has it but it may not be BB but back in the lumber section they have hobby boards you might find it there. Usually in a box set on the floor with several different types of boards approx 6 to 8 inch wide and 2 to 4 feet long. Theres also some on shelves in 2x 4 foot sheets. If you really want to go cheap get a sheet of Luan 4x8 have them cut it down for you. Its not good for engraving pictures its a darker color but at under 10 bucks for 32 sq feet its great to practice with and it cuts easy.:)

Jeffrey Dewing
01-25-2015, 6:23 PM
I found some Aspen that engraves well at HD. 1/4" x 8" x 2' pc. I also got some aspen ply that's 2'x4'x1/2" that engraves well. It's cheep, like me, and is great to practice on!