PDA

View Full Version : NOVA. Raising the Costa Concordia

Michael Weber
01-24-2015, 4:58 PM
If You missed the episode about raising the above cruise ship off the coast of Italy look for a rerun of NOVA on PBS. One of the most amazing engineering feats I have seen. A must see.

Bill Huber
01-24-2015, 5:06 PM
I agree, I have watched it 2 or 3 times, really something else to see.

Mel Fulks
01-24-2015, 5:12 PM
Thanks, I didn't know that one, big fan of Nova though. The Costa Concordia is such a bizarre tragedy. From what I've
heard about it to date ,looks like ship captains need to be methodical and ethical. And computers are of little help when not used.

Marty Gulseth
01-25-2015, 12:54 AM
That was fascinating indeed!

Regards, Marty

Kevin Bourque
01-25-2015, 3:21 PM
All that work just so they can tow it to a yard to be cut into little pieces.

Judson Green
01-25-2015, 3:36 PM
Don't remember the cost of the salvage, but didn't it exceed the price of the ship when new? Surely the scrap value can't be more, and even once it was towable still a ton of work before it gets melted. Guess someones insurance premium went up.

"Have you had a accident in the last 5 years?"
"Well....."

Very cool episode. Big fan of NOVA.

Brian Elfert
01-25-2015, 3:44 PM
You can't exactly just leave something like that to eventually rust to nothing. Presumably they had to remove the wreck one way or another. There was talk right after the accident that maybe they could re-float and refurbish the ship, but obviously that didn't happen. I wonder how many would take a cruise on a ship that had partially sunk and lives were lost?

I saw the special on Discovery about the salvage of the ship. I have not seen the Nova episode.

Justin Ludwig
01-25-2015, 5:25 PM
Don't remember the cost of the salvage, but didn't it exceed the price of the ship when new? Surely the scrap value can't be more, and even once it was towable still a ton of work before it gets melted. Guess someones insurance premium went up.

"Have you had a accident in the last 5 years?"
"Well....."

Very cool episode. Big fan of NOVA.

1.2 Billion - That's the salvage alone, not settlements, court costs, etc.

Mel Fulks
01-25-2015, 5:39 PM
I would like to see more coverage about the idiotic actions and cowardly exit of the captain. Especially contrasted with
the traditional and almost ritual like habits of competent navigators before computers .

Justin Ludwig
01-26-2015, 8:29 AM
I would like to see more coverage about the idiotic actions and cowardly exit of the captain. Especially contrasted with
the traditional and almost ritual like habits of competent navigators before computers .

Not just the captain. 5 were convicted.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/20/world/europe/italy-costa-concordia-trial/