PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Turning Books

Tim Passmore
01-24-2015, 12:03 PM
I've been turning for just over a year and mostly turn bowls (about 200). I'm interested in continuing to refine my skills and knowledge. What bowl turning books are out there that you would recommend? I've read Richard Raffan's "Turning Bowls" and "Learn to Turn" by Barry Gross. Suggestions would be appreciated---- I know nothing beats time on the lathe.

Trevor Mills
01-24-2015, 12:42 PM
They aren't technically books but I got a lot out of the Glenn Lucas and Mike Mahoney DVDs. The Lyle Jamieson Utube clips helped me understand what the the cutting edge was acually doing.
Trevor

Scott Hackler
01-24-2015, 2:36 PM
+1 on setting DVDs and skip the book. While the text could "spell it out", there is replacing "seeing" it done.

Tim Passmore
01-24-2015, 3:19 PM
Thanks---- I own "Turned Bowls Made Easy" By Bill Grumbine and "Bowl Turning" By Del Stubbs and enjoyed both.

Joseph M Lary
01-24-2015, 5:55 PM
I second the Bill Grumbine DVD I have seen 2 of them . but if you have done 200 bowls might need a book or DVD on form or design.

Rich Aldrich
01-25-2015, 2:17 AM
The book that made the best impression on my work is Richard Raffin's Art of Turned Bowls. it is all about form and proportion. I agree with the others who have posted that DVDs are better for technique.

Thom Sturgill
01-25-2015, 8:12 AM
I know Richard Raffan's Art of Turned Bowls is great, but I do not have a copy yet, but it is on my to-buy list. There are also two other books, 500 Cups (http://larkcrafts.com/bookstore/?isbn=9781579905934) and 500 Bowls (http://larkcrafts.com/bookstore/?isbn=9781579903626) by Lark Crafts. Lark publishing also printed 500 Wood Bowls, but I believe that is out of print. It is not listed on their website.

I only own the latter of those books, but it is great inspiration for form. The first two 500 books I listed deal primarily with clay, but we turners copy a lot of forms that were originally designed for clay and seem to strive for the thinness of porcelain.

John Thorson
01-25-2015, 5:24 PM
I agree with Rich. I think technique is best taught with a good DVD like the Glenn Lucas "Bowl Turning Techniques". But I think a good book like Raffan's "Art of Turned Bowls" is good as it gets for understanding bowl design. Understanding form and proportion makes as much of a difference as good technique and sharp tools in creating an end product that people will cherish.

philip labre
01-26-2015, 7:00 AM
Another for "Art of the Turned Bowl". Really helps you understand bowl design.

Tim Passmore
01-26-2015, 11:42 AM
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions-----form, design and embellishments is what I'm most interested in at this time----looks like I need to order Raffan's book.