PDA

View Full Version : The future of the internet?

Matt Marsh
01-24-2015, 11:22 AM
You can download a full-length movie in 2 seconds.

http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/news/local/3662081-gigazone-activated-first-customer-selected-new-high-speed-internet-network

Scott Shepherd
01-24-2015, 11:23 AM
Now if they only started making movies worth downloading, we'd be in good shape!

Matt Marsh
01-24-2015, 12:00 PM
Now if they only started making movies worth downloading, we'd be in good shape!

Boy am I with you on that Scott! However, I did really enjoy seeing Saint Vincent at the local theater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dP5lJnJHXg

Pat Barry
01-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Or summer cabin is located in the Paul Bunyan service area near Grand Rapids, literally in the middle of nowhere but woods and lakes and few inhabitants. We were amazed that they actually ran fiber optic cable right to our cabin at no charge. I can already get faster internet service up there than I can here in the Twin Cities. All we get through it is standard telephone though at this point.

Greg Peterson
01-24-2015, 1:06 PM
Certainly over the course of almost a century of film there are at least a few movies worth watching.

Ok, I'll get off your lawn now.

Mark Bolton
01-24-2015, 1:57 PM
http://www.sciencefriday.com/segment/11/07/2014/u-s-high-speed-internet-lags-behind-on-price-cost.html

Ole Anderson
01-24-2015, 2:33 PM
Gee, now we will be able to get pop-up ads that actually pop up. How many sites do you frequent that have the capability to upload to the pipe as fast as you can download? I run across a few, but most are far slower than my 60 mbps download speed. Not sure gigabit speed would help me much. There is a point of diminishing returns.

Moses Yoder
01-24-2015, 3:01 PM
I have nothing against progress, it just irritates me that things change so fast. I designed and built a computer desk in the early 21st century that now, early in the 21st century, is outdated. We still use it, but in reality it is not built for today's technology. In order to keep up with technology you have to make disposable furniture. My mom has a desk built early in the 20th century that still functions just as well today for what it was designed for; storing books.

Judson Green
01-24-2015, 3:24 PM
Bah, this whole internet things just a passing fad.

Bert Kemp
01-24-2015, 7:09 PM
Passing fad I don't know LOL When you can sit in your living room Look at a house , the interior, the street, the neighborhood, 3000 miles away then email an agent, buy the the house, pay for it sign all the legal papers online, have all the utilities on and a warm house when you arrive to move in and never leave your easy chair . Pretty good I'd say LOL :D

Jim Koepke
01-24-2015, 7:48 PM
Passing fad I don't know LOL When you can sit in your living room Look at a house , the interior, the street, the neighborhood, 3000 miles away then email an agent, buy the the house, pay for it sign all the legal papers online, have all the utilities on and a warm house when you arrive to move in and never leave your easy chair . Pretty good I'd say LOL :D

We didn't have toys like that when I was a kid.

jtk

Curt Harms
01-25-2015, 7:45 AM

Amen to that! I read & hear about movie studios raving about $$$ losses due to piracy and think to myself that there are few movies worth the effort.

Dan Hintz
01-25-2015, 7:57 AM
I designed and built a computer desk in the early 21st century that now, early in the 21st century, is outdated. We still use it, but in reality it is not built for today's technology.

It all depends upon what you want to do with it. If you're only surfing the web and checking email, using a decade-old+ computer is perfectly acceptable. If you're trying to run the latest design program, well, you need all of the horsepower you can muster.

You wouldn't compete in Le Mans with a Ford Model T, but if you were just going down to the Quicky-Mart, that Model T will do you just fine.

Greg Peterson
01-25-2015, 11:58 AM
You should give Silicon Valley a call and tell them to slow down, we can't keep up.

I think the rate of technology advances is only going to increase. Better buckle up.

Judson Green
01-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Guess I should have added a roll eyes smiley