PDA

View Full Version : Wobbly 8" bench grindingbwheel

Greg Kuzmeskus
01-23-2015, 9:48 PM
:( I have tried a couple of things to get the vibration out of the 8" grinder..... No luck. It bounces my gouge ( lathe tool) out of it's oneway holder. This grinder was just purchased on 01/22/2015. It is a Ryobi.
Any suggestions???
All suggestions will be tried, until till the vibration stops:D

Bruce Page
01-23-2015, 9:52 PM
Take it back. I had a 8" Delta with a wobbly wheel. Nothing I could do to fix it. I later discovered it had a slightly bent shaft but it was enough to cause the wobble 4" from the shaft center line.

Sean Troy
01-23-2015, 10:57 PM
Most of the time, it's the wheel itself that causes the problem. A good Norton wheel may help out a lot. Even with a good wheel, I use this http://www.oneway.ca/sharpening/balancing.htm with great results.

Mike Lassiter
01-23-2015, 11:37 PM
wobble or out of round? Wobble is a sign either the wheel is incorrectly installed or shaft bent. Out of round is fixable by buying a grinding wheel dresser that will eat the high area off and also square up the face of the wheel when you hold it against the wheel as it spins. You can tell if out of round by holding something against the wheel and spinning it by hand to see if it is bumping a high spot in it. That makes it hard to grind precisely - like touch up drill bits or chisels with them getting beat by the wheel banging against it.

Bill Orbine
01-24-2015, 7:56 AM
I've seen on some grinders that the shaft is smaller than the arbor hole of the grinding wheel. And that there's a plastic insert to compensate for the difference. Even with the insert, there's still the need to dress the wheel because such system isn't perfect.

Joe Bradshaw
01-24-2015, 8:25 AM
It's important to determine where the wobble is coming from. Remove both wheels and stand a square up to the end of the shaft and rotate the shaft by hand. This will enable you to determine if the shaft is bent. If all is ok, the wheels are next. Replace the plastic bushings that came with the wheels with drill bushings. Since you are a turner, make your own bushings from hardwood. Put the wheels back on the grinder and dress them. Now they should be running true. If you have side to side wobble, this can be removed by the use of paper dots on opposite sides of the wheel under the washers. As to the washers, dress the flats on a piece of sandpaper on a flat surface. This should get your grinder working right. If all these steps fail to help, get a CBN wheel and you will be good to go. Good luck, Joe.

Mike Cutler
01-24-2015, 8:41 AM
Take it back

Either the wheel is unbalanced or out of round,the arborshaft is bent, or the bearings aren't seated correctly. None of these should be your issue to resolve.

Myk Rian
01-24-2015, 9:56 AM
I use a coarse diamond card to dress wheels instead of a wheel dresser.

Garth Sheane
01-24-2015, 6:06 PM
When I first got my 8" bench grinder, it vibrated and bounced so bad that I feared it slide off the bench. I was even using a Norton stone, which I nearly wrecked when I would try to sharpen my gouges. Then I got wheel balancers and the problem was solved. The grinder has a nice, smooth hum and sharpening chisels is a piece of cake.

Steve Peterson
01-25-2015, 1:05 PM
I've seen on some grinders that the shaft is smaller than the arbor hole of the grinding wheel. And that there's a plastic insert to compensate for the difference. Even with the insert, there's still the need to dress the wheel because such system isn't perfect.

Plastic inserts could be part of the problem. Metal inserts are significantly better.

Steve