PDA

View Full Version : barracuda chuck

jeff oldham
01-23-2015, 8:28 PM
just got the barracuda chuck system from amazon;;;haven't used it but 1 time;;;seems ok;;;from my little knowledge of chucks;;;it is the gold plated one with extra jaws;;;any comments from anyone would help!!!!

Adam Petersen
01-23-2015, 8:54 PM
Congrats. I hope that helps.

But seriously, what's your question on it? It looks like a good package.

Doug W Swanson
01-23-2015, 8:56 PM
I had a couple of Barracuda chucks until I upgraded my lathe a few years ago. Nice chucks for the money and they include all the extra jaws. I currently have some SuperNova 2 chucks and I feel they are a little smoother than the Barracuda. The only reason I switched was my new lathe was a 1 1/4" x 8 and I didn't want to use an adapter with the Barracuda chuck.

jeff oldham
01-23-2015, 10:04 PM
Congrats. I hope that helps.

But seriously, what's your question on it? It looks like a good package. well actually I have been looking for a long time for a chuck,,,i just wanted someones opinions if they had the same chuck and how they liked it,,

David Hill
01-23-2015, 10:11 PM
I have 4 of them! 2 of the CSC3000 like yours and 2 of their larger ones.
No complaints & they hold whatever I put in'em.
I also have the jumbo jaw sets.

Wayne Lovell
01-24-2015, 7:38 AM
I have the set which I won in a club raffle, I have used it a lot because of the extra jaws that fit things the others won't. If I needed one and it covered the size jaws I needed I would buy it in a heartbeat.

Thom Sturgill
01-24-2015, 12:12 PM
I started with those seven years ago (not the gold tones ones). I DID NOT like the jaws, I launched entirely too many turnings. The shallow serrations would not hold adequately. I bought the long jaws (which I still use occasionally) and the dove tail jaws which I do like. I later upgraded to SN2s when I upgraded my lathe from a 1220 Jet to a 1642.

Tim Leiter
01-26-2015, 9:04 PM
I have the barracuda with the chuck wrench with the jaws, I also have the jumbo jaws, they all came in a kit from PSI. I haven't used it much but the chuck key is sometimes hard to get seated so it doesn't strip the gears. Other than that it is a good chuck with all the jaws I think I will need, oh, and also I bought the pen blank holding jaws for it and they work great for drilling blanks on the lathe.
Tim.

Brian Brown
01-26-2015, 9:14 PM
This infö is a little late seeing as you already bought the chuck, but the Apprentice chuck from CSUSA is the same as the Barracuda, with a normal chuck key, rather than the goofy internal chuck key from the Barracuda.