PDA

View Full Version : Rats in the wood pile

Brian Henderson
01-23-2015, 7:36 PM
Sorry if this makes anyone's stomach turn. I have a 10-acre lot filled with orange trees and therefore, there is a lot of wildlife living out in the fields. I've got wild rabbits, possums, coyotes, raccoons and lots of other critters including rats. It isn't uncommon to hear them running around on the roof and they have been known to get into my shop. I put down bait traps for them and occasionally, I'll find a dead rat in the middle of the floor.

About a week or so ago, I smelled something foul in the shop and figured I got another rat but I couldn't find it. The smell went away but I finally found it last night in my wood pile where it's been decomposing on the roll-around cart between two pieces of walnut. I got him out and threw him away but he's stained the wood a bit. I haven't decided if I'm going to either throw the boards away or try to cut around the stains or what, I have no clue how deep it's gone into the wood. It's nice wood but nothing horribly expensive so losing it won't be the end of the world, I just thought I'd ask everyone what they might do if they found themselves in a similar situation.

Trash it? Cut around it? Sand down to see how deep it is? What would you do?

Andrew Kertesz
01-23-2015, 7:41 PM
Being just walnut if it was me I would trash/burn in a bonfire and not use it. Something exotic I might try and cut around it...

Fred Belknap
01-23-2015, 7:42 PM
Leave it for a month or three and the smell will go away and probably most of the stain, then decide what you want to dol

Brian Henderson
01-23-2015, 7:50 PM
Leave it for a month or three and the smell will go away and probably most of the stain, then decide what you want to dol

It's been sitting in my pile for years anyhow. I agree that if it was something really expensive, it might be a bigger deal and a harder decision. How expensive would the wood have to be in order to be saved at any cost?

Joe A Faulkner
01-23-2015, 8:05 PM
I'd probably take a hand plane to it or run it through the planer or over the jointer to see how deep the stain goes. I'm a bit of a pack rat, so it has to be pretty scrappy to go into the burn pile.

Frederick Skelly
01-23-2015, 8:28 PM
Im sorry if this is a stupid question, but could there be any risk of disease by handling or machining that board? Rats carry germs and viruses. For example, is it possible that as the marks on the board dried, a germ went dormant and if you later inhale the dust, you just took that dormant germ into your lungs? I have no idea if thats remotely possibile or utter nonsense. It crossed my mind so I thought Id mention it.

Fred

Brian Henderson
01-23-2015, 9:30 PM
Im sorry if this is a stupid question, but could there be any risk of disease by handling or machining that board? Rats carry germs and viruses. For example, is it possible that as the marks on the board dried, a germ went dormant and if you later inhale the dust, you just took that dormant germ into your lungs? I have no idea if thats remotely possibile or utter nonsense. It crossed my mind so I thought Id mention it.

Fred

That's a good point. I have no idea but I'd say that could be a valid concern.

Ted Calver
01-23-2015, 9:46 PM
If it was a nice piece of wood I would put some hydrogen peroxide or DNA on the stain, scrub it and let it sit for a while. Plane off any remaining stain and call it a day.

James Nugnes
01-23-2015, 10:57 PM
If it is not anything special honestly i would get rid of it. If you can't get the smell out of it completely and quickly it will likely draw other animals. rodents and all sort of things as they are often drawn to the scent of dead animals and blood.

Chuck Hart
01-24-2015, 4:21 AM
I would just throw some mineral spirits on the stain on move on. As far as germs and stuff you said you have found rats in your shop which means they have been on and around everything in your wood pile. Until you found the rat you would think nothing of grabbing a board and working on it. Don't get weird over some pieces of nature. You want to get really sick go out into your orchard and dig around in the soil out there. There are all kinds of microbes, parasites, and nasty stuff in the dirt. Raccoons carry some of the nastiest parasites in the world. Getting your hands dirty isn't going to kill you. That's what soap is for. Wear gloves if it bothers you that much and enjoy your hobby.

Brian Henderson
01-24-2015, 5:49 AM
I would just throw some mineral spirits on the stain on move on. As far as germs and stuff you said you have found rats in your shop which means they have been on and around everything in your wood pile. Until you found the rat you would think nothing of grabbing a board and working on it. Don't get weird over some pieces of nature. You want to get really sick go out into your orchard and dig around in the soil out there. There are all kinds of microbes, parasites, and nasty stuff in the dirt. Raccoons carry some of the nastiest parasites in the world. Getting your hands dirty isn't going to kill you. That's what soap is for. Wear gloves if it bothers you that much and enjoy your hobby.

I'm not really worried about any of it, I looked at the wood, it isn't that bad, I'll just sand it down at some point and put it back in the pile. The worst stain is on the plywood bottom of the cart, I figure a little sanding will take care of it. I just figured it would be an interesting topic of discussion since I run into a lot of germophobes and people afraid of creepy crawlies, maybe there are some woodworkers for whom the "ick" factor is high too.

Matt Krusen
01-24-2015, 8:27 AM
I'm a grad student getting my PhD in Infectious Disease. I work with Ebola and drug resistant Malaria every day. I can tell you that I certainly wouldn't be concerned about any infection possibility from the wood. Many disease causing microbes, be it bacterial, parasitic, or viral require a host to survive. Anything that was inside the rat that could harm you most likely couldn't survive too long outside its host. Any bacteria that are presently on the wood and aided in the decomposition of the body were already present on the wood to begin with. If you're concerned about it, wipe it down with denatured alcohol and call it good! Plane that sucker down and make something!

Al Weber
01-24-2015, 8:46 AM
I'm a grad student getting my PhD in Infectious Disease. I work with Ebola and drug resistant Malaria every day. I can tell you that I certainly wouldn't be concerned about any infection possibility from the wood. Many disease causing microbes, be it bacterial, parasitic, or viral require a host to survive. Anything that was inside the rat that could harm you most likely couldn't survive too long outside its host. Any bacteria that are presently on the wood and aided in the decomposition of the body were already present on the wood to begin with. If you're concerned about it, wipe it down with denatured alcohol and call it good! Plane that sucker down and make something!

Right On! Nothing there that will hurt you.

Harvey Miller
01-24-2015, 11:08 AM

Alcohol or 1 to 10% bleach would do it. The bleach will probably kill any smell (not sure about alcohol).

Edit: I think you could use a big, ol' shopcat or a terrier, if you prefer dogs..

John Goodin
01-24-2015, 11:25 AM
Get a spring, some heavy gauge wire and use the wood to make a rat trap.

Rich Greinert
01-24-2015, 1:06 PM

That made me laugh!

Pat Barry
01-24-2015, 3:00 PM
I would cut around it. Last thing I'd want is to have it leave some little stain in the wood to remind me of the dead stinking decomposing rat

James Nugnes
01-24-2015, 3:11 PM
Cut around it is a good suggestion. The way it read at least to me (probably just me) I thought there was very little that did not get hit by something, rotten flesh, blood....something. My bad. If you can cut out the nastys that is probably a great idea.

Jim Andrew
01-24-2015, 9:20 PM
Think I'd go to the animal shelter and see if they have a rat killing dog. I got a border collie to help me with the cows, bit of a disappointment when I found she is scared of cows, but she loves killing rats.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-24-2015, 9:24 PM
I'm moving into a house that had a mouse problem recently. It's been cleaned and rid of them, but I still sense them here. I recommend burn it, then soak the ashes in clorox, then bury them. Nasty, filthy vermin. No reason to keep something that even hints at the memory of a stinking dead one, or you'll remember it every time you see that board.

Frederick Skelly
01-24-2015, 9:30 PM

Thanks Matt. Glad to have expert input.

Sorry for the stupid question guys.
Fred

Chuck Hart
01-24-2015, 9:54 PM
Brian my comments were there for icky phobes not you. Having a orchard in your yard means you see all kinds of nature. It was a comment more for the ones who wanted to throw the wood away or nuke it.

Brian Henderson
01-25-2015, 2:41 AM
Brian my comments were there for icky phobes not you. Having a orchard in your yard means you see all kinds of nature. It was a comment more for the ones who wanted to throw the wood away or nuke it.

Yup, I get to see it all. Just last night in fact, there were at least two coyotes howling at the moon less than 100 yards from the house. There is a family of owls nesting in a 100-year old tree in the back yard. Last summer, I rescued this little guy who was hanging out under a trash can.

I also got a picture of this guy eating avocados about 10 feet from the house.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Jerry Olexa
01-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Take a handplane to it and later a planer or jointer...At some point, let it air out and let sun dry it out naturally.

Kevin Bourque
01-25-2015, 3:27 PM
Round these here parts Rat wood is selling for $10-15 bd. ft.

Kent A Bathurst
01-25-2015, 3:50 PM
Trash it? Cut around it? Sand down to see how deep it is? What would you do?

OK - this thread has gotten very interesting:

Damitall, John - you beat me to it. Correct answer, IMO.

I'm a grad student getting my PhD in Infectious Disease. I work with Ebola and drug resistant Malaria every day.

Matt - Glad to have you here. Impressive credentials. May have been a mistake to own up to it, but you outed yourself, and we turn the Department of Health Concerns over your your qualified hands.

Think I'd go to the animal shelter and see if they have a rat killing dog. I got a border collie to help me with the cows, bit of a disappointment when I found she is scared of cows, but she loves killing rats.

Jin - that took me back. When I was a little kid - very little - we had a Kansas farm-bred dog known as a Rat Terrier. Not an official breed, and much less common today that 50+ years ago. When we moved away from small-town Kansas to big-time DC area, she went to my maternal grandparents, and lived the Life of Riley - big pillow behind the wood cookstove in the kitchen, meals from the side of beef they got every year. Especially the part where she had a big farm, with numerous barns, outbuildings, and grain storage structures. And rats. Going for a walk with her through that part of the farm was always amazing.

Round these here parts Rat wood is selling for $10-15 bd. ft.

We have a winner!! Well played, Kevin. Well played, indeed. :D :D

Jim Andrew
01-25-2015, 8:36 PM
When my daughter was small, she talked all the time about wanting a baby, and I ran into a guy who was carrying a rat terrier puppy in his pocket. I bought the pup from him, and my daughter just loved it. After it grew up a while, it was the rat killingest dog I ever saw. Just lived to kill.

Brian Henderson
01-25-2015, 9:14 PM
When my daughter was small, she talked all the time about wanting a baby, and I ran into a guy who was carrying a rat terrier puppy in his pocket. I bought the pup from him, and my daughter just loved it. After it grew up a while, it was the rat killingest dog I ever saw. Just lived to kill.

That's what terriers of all kinds are bred for, going into burrows and holes and narrow places and taking out rodents. Unfortunately, in my shop, the only place I've ever seen a live rat is up near the ceiling, which is where I put my bait traps and that seems to work. In that, roof rats are like raccoons, I used to have a raccoon that would hang out on my fence and laugh at the dogs that would try to get him. They're not stupid.