PDA

View Full Version : Help with ratchet bars

Casey Gooding
01-23-2015, 7:08 PM
My search for additional ratchet bars for my Foley retoother has proved fruitless. So, if I can, I want to make some. Specifically, I want to make the 12-6.5, 14-7.5, 15-8-4.5 and 16-8.5.
Does anyone know the spacing or geometry of these? I checked out the ratchet bars I do have and, well, the math makes my brain hurt.
Any help from you all would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Ron Bontz
01-25-2015, 1:02 AM
Hi Casey. Wish I could help you on the ratchet bars. But I have not gotten anyone to do it for me either. Not enough volume to make it worth their while. I will, however, beg my machinist, again. Seems like a broach cutter would work. But I will see what he says. Best wishes.

Casey Gooding
01-25-2015, 5:38 PM
Thanks, Ron. I have access to a machine shop and I think I can do it. I just would like to me more certain of the layout before I try.

Paul Furtkamp
02-06-2015, 11:30 AM
Hi guys, long time lurker but first post here on the Creek.

I am in a similar situation (admit to having the saw making bug) and have recently acquired a couple of Foley retoothers with everything up to the 13 ppi bars. I have been playing with the idea of making the 14, 15 & 16 ppi bars, and am currently experimenting with using a 387 Foley saw filer (acquired in a package deal where I was after the retoother only - a separate gloat is probably due on that one) and a custom made jig that attaches to the carrier bar and will hold the 1/4 bar stock at the proper height for filing. Going to initially try using some W1 tool steel, will keep you posted as to the results.

If it works on copying one of the bars I already have, I will then try to rent, borrow, beg a donor 14, 15, 16 ppi bar to use a template and then be able to make a copy of the ratchet bar on the 387 (this is the working theory; what could possibly go wrong? :D).

On a side note, thanks Ron for the inspiration and contributions to us neophyte saw makers; you along with Isaac S, Mike W, Matt C, Lief, George W (and many others I am forgetting here) have provided a wealth of information and inspiration to those of use wanting to wade into the saw-making pool. Appreciate all of the info you all generously provide to those of us just getting started and the works of art you are all able to produce.

Paul Furtkamp
02-06-2015, 12:44 PM
Casey,

As far as the spacing between the points (PPI), here is what I came up with (note: I am definitely not a math major and should be double checked for sure):

12 PPI .0833" (2.117mm)
13 PPI .0739" (1.954mm)
14 PPi .0714" (1.814mm)
15 PPI .0666" (1.693mm)
16 PPI .0625" (1.588mm)

On the bars that I have the currently the teeth start about 1 5/8" from the left (where the numbers/index are engraved) and continue to approximately 1" from the end on the right side. Let me know if you need exact dimensions on the center pin and/or the location of the retaining clips/pins on either end, I believe I have this info in one of my Foley manuals somewhere. Good luck.

Casey Gooding
02-07-2015, 12:19 PM
Thanks, Paul. I do have the bars up to 13ppi. I'll take a look at the numbers you posted and see if I can make it work.

Rick Whitehead
02-11-2015, 10:39 PM
I have made some ratchet bars for my Foley retoother. I used some threaded rod for some, and filed out others.
My 16 point ratchet bar was made from a piece of Acme threaded rod I got from McMaster-Carr, part number 98935A803.I filed a small flat on one side, and filed the hooks from 1/4-20 bolts, silver-soldering them on.It works very well.
I think you could use other pitches of threaded rod for other ratchet bars.
I filed one out of 1/4" square bar, using a 14 point bandsaw blade as a guide. I epoxied the bandsaw blade to the side of the bar, and used a square to draw lines across the face. I used a 3-square file, which was not tapered, to file the teeth. It took LONG time!
I have made carrier bars, too, which are a lot easier to make.
Anyway, I hope this helps. Ratchet bars do show up from time to time on eBay, but they tend to be expensive.I don't know if they are still available from Foley. They used to be, but were REALLY expensive!

ronald driggers
09-19-2016, 11:55 AM
Casey,

As far as the spacing between the points (PPI), here is what I came up with (note: I am definitely not a math major and should be double checked for sure):

12 PPI .0833" (2.117mm)
13 PPI .0739" (1.954mm)
14 PPi .0714" (1.814mm)
15 PPI .0666" (1.693mm)
16 PPI .0625" (1.588mm)

On the bars that I have the currently the teeth start about 1 5/8" from the left (where the numbers/index are engraved) and continue to approximately 1" from the end on the right side. Let me know if you need exact dimensions on the center pin and/or the location of the retaining clips/pins on either end, I believe I have this info in one of my Foley manuals somewhere. Good luck.

Do you have a sketch of the ratchet bar tooth profile? I need to make some as well