PDA

View Full Version : Stu in Tokyo's shop

Bob Borzelleri
07-25-2005, 11:28 AM
I ran across a post over at Woodnet.net that led me to the web site of a guy in Tokyo who might rival Lance Armstrong (minus the illness) in overcoming significant obstacles toward setting up a WW shop and using whatever is available to accomplish his goals. I have to admit to having spent nearly an hour wandering around his site (tons of pictures).

If you have some time to spare and have an interest in checking out one of the most inventive and adaptive woodworkers I've ever run across, check in here:

http://ablett.jp/workshop/index.htm

...Bob

Jim Hinze
07-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Very cool link. I've just spent about 30 minutes browsing the site and will probably do some more later this evening...

Keith Hooks
07-25-2005, 2:07 PM
That's really impressive. I wonder when he sleeps!

Chris Padilla
07-25-2005, 5:20 PM
Wow...very cool. Man, I need to take some classes on welding...it would really complement my skill set very, very nicely....

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
07-26-2005, 5:58 AM
Greetings from Tokyo Japan!

I just wanted to stop in here and say thank you for all the kind words.

I have not ever thought I could not "Do it" I just had to find different ways "To" do it :D

I sleep when I can, I'm finding as I get older I need less of it, 4 to 5 hours a day is good, but I cheat by taking a nap of 20 to 30 minutes around 3 PM.

Welding, get yourself a good MIG, they are so easy to use it is embarassing!

Cheers!

Tyler Howell
07-26-2005, 8:18 AM
Welcome Stu!

Great site. Really enjoyed wandering around your shop. The ladder would kill my knees:o
Very inovative in the space you have available.
Thanks for sharing.:cool:

Mike Weaver
07-26-2005, 9:51 AM
Welcome Stu!

Thanks for sharing - you are definitely an inspiration for me to fix up my below-grade (in more ways than one!) shop.

Cheers,
-Mike

Scott Coffelt
07-26-2005, 11:16 AM
I used to watch Stu on the Oak before I found this place, he always amazed me with his ability to get stuff into the hole. I don't visit that place much anymore, welcome Stu.

Lee DeRaud
07-26-2005, 12:05 PM
...he always amazed me with his ability to get stuff into the hole.That's the easy bit.:p Getting assembled stuff of any size out looks to be a lot harder.:eek:

07-26-2005, 12:20 PM
That's the easy bit.:p Getting assembled stuff of any size out looks to be a lot harder.:eek:

Not really, I made a stand for a guy I met, he is Chinese, and he was selling stuff off the back of his truck. I made this stand to sell fruit over the summer....

http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/fruit_stand/fruit_stand_finished.jpg

To give you an idea of scale.....
http://ablett.jp/workshop/images/fruit_stand/fruit_stand_on_truck1.jpg

He was pleased with it, and I made a few bucks on the deal :D

The hatch opens up to 4' square, and I have an electric hoist. Sure it would be easier with a grade level entrance etc, but like they say about motorcycling, (my "other" hobby) "the only thing worse than riding in the rain, is not riding".

So I had a choice, build the Dungeon, or take up stamp collecting ;) (no disrespect to any philatelists out there!)

Cheers!

John Renzetti
07-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Hi Stu, Never realized your website was so extentive. You've done a great job in setting up your shop.
Thanks, Bob, for posting the link.
take care,
John

Lee DeRaud
07-26-2005, 1:33 PM
...and I have an electric hoist.Ah, you didn't mention that. I'm looking at the picture of the hatch and thinking, "Ok, he removes the door, but the stair/ladder is taking a bite out of one side and that humongous concrete beam is taking a bite out of the other...":D

07-28-2005, 3:33 PM
Ah, you didn't mention that. I'm looking at the picture of the hatch and thinking, "Ok, he removes the door, but the stair/ladder is taking a bite out of one side and that humongous concrete beam is taking a bite out of the other...":D

The beam is not in the way, unless I want to bring in really long wood, but I don't do that.

The wooden stairs are held in place by one bolt (one good bolt!!) and come out in 2 minutes, so I have a 4' x 4' wide shot straight up or down, it works!

beats the heck out of NOT having a shop!

Cheers!

Timo Christ
07-28-2005, 4:08 PM
Stu,
thanks for making such a nice website. I found it very interesting, loved the section about the resaw bandsaw and how you sawed up the logs, including the video!
Arrigatou gozaimasu!
Dewa,
Timo

Chris Padilla
07-28-2005, 4:40 PM
...so I have a 4' x 4' wide shot straight up or down, it works!

Ah, but you have a longer dimension! The diagnol!! :D 4*sqrt(2) or about 5 2/3 feet! :) I'm sure it's been used as well hehe.... :D :D

Vaughn McMillan
07-28-2005, 4:51 PM
Uh oh...looks like Stu's site got too much traffic. I'm getting an "Account Disabled - Limit Exceeded" message when I try the link above. I visited the site briefly a couple days ago, but didn't get to look it over as much as I'd wanted. I'll check back later, I guess.

- Vaughn

07-29-2005, 2:15 AM
Uh oh...looks like Stu's site got too much traffic. I'm getting an "Account Disabled - Limit Exceeded" message when I try the link above. I visited the site briefly a couple days ago, but didn't get to look it over as much as I'd wanted. I'll check back later, I guess.

- Vaughn

You sir are correct, I've gone over my limit.

It will be back on the 1st of Aug, but I'm looking at a different company, they are cheaper than the one I'm using and give me 100 GB of bandwidth, not the 15 GB I'm limited to now.

Cheers!

Vaughn McMillan
07-29-2005, 4:24 AM
You sir are correct, I've gone over my limit.

It will be back on the 1st of Aug, but I'm looking at a different company, they are cheaper than the one I'm using and give me 100 GB of bandwidth, not the 15 GB I'm limited to now.

Cheers!
I don't know how the pricing might compare, but to quote Aaron Kohl from another thread:

"Hampton Roads Online is not only getting great service, a competent, attentive staff, and know-how; but they're directly supporting the operations of SawmillCreek. (www.hroads.net (http://www.hroads.net/))" :)

- Vaughn

07-29-2005, 5:03 AM
I don't know how the pricing might compare, but to quote Aaron Kohl from another thread:

"Hampton Roads Online is not only getting great service, a competent, attentive staff, and know-how; but they're directly supporting the operations of SawmillCreek. (www.hroads.net (http://www.hroads.net/))" :)

- Vaughn
Thanks for the tip!

Cheers!

Mike Cutler
07-29-2005, 6:04 AM
Stu. Welcome to Sawmill Creek.
Like some others here on the board, I've seen your posts and pictures on another site. I was always impressed at your ingenuity and determination.
That's quite a space you've made for yourself in your "dungeon"
Once again, welcome and pleaesed to meet ya'

Kurt Forbes
07-29-2005, 11:36 AM
bad thing about posting stuff like that in a forum like this with so much trafic. Site is experienceing bandwidth exceeded

07-29-2005, 12:13 PM
Not a problem, I'm moving to a new site host where I will not have this problem.

Cheers!