PDA

View Full Version : Glue for iron to granite, a Ridgid R4511 problem

Wakahisa Shinta
01-23-2015, 2:58 PM
I recently realigned my Ridgid R4511 TS after noticing some burning cutting 6/4 maple (fresh blade too). I removed the fence and its rails, both extension wings, and aligned the right miter slot for 90 and 45 degree cuts. Upon attaching the extension wings, I noticed that I can't draw the left wing close to the main table. It turned out that the three nuts, recessed into the granite, have come loose. The granite surrounding the middle nut was also chipping.

I've read about this problem with the R4511 and taken to careful torque these bolts just enough to snug the wings to the main table. So, I emailed Ridgid customer support, asking for help. Long story short, I was advised to take the whole TS to a service center for inspection and determination if this is a manufacturing defect. Fixing the problem is TBD at time of inspection. Theoretically, I could be hauling a 450+ lbs machine back and forth and not get it fixed.

I've put the parts back together. The right extension table is fine. The left extension is not as tight and the left upper corner is sagging by 1/64" compared to the main table. The fence rails are helping keeping it in place.

Anyone with this saw and this problem? What type of glue can be used for securing the nuts to granite? Epoxy?

Thanks!

Mark Bolton
01-23-2015, 3:02 PM
I would either be going to a granite top shop and asking them what epoxy they are using or heading to a local Fastenal (or equivalent) and just picking up some anchoring epoxy. We epoxy fasteners into masonry and stone all the time using various products. I will bet even the home center will have tubes that are two part (they run in a standard caulking gun) and mix in the tip that will do whatever you need.

Bill Space
01-23-2015, 5:11 PM
If you take action on your own you will void whatever warranty you have.

You can always take a shot at a home fix after they deny your claim.

I don't see a rational choice other than first having them look at it and either repair it or tell you to take a hike, at which time you will not have to worry about voiding your warranty.

Bummer...

How far is the service center? That may be the most important consideration. 400 miles each way and a home fix may be called for! Even 200 miles would be too far for me... 50 miles...starting to get reasonable....

PS...Could you not just take the table top, rather than the whole saw?

Terry Welty
01-24-2015, 7:40 AM
I'd check out the Power Tool Discussion forum at ridgid.forum.com. I'm betting you'll find the answer. I have the same saw and really like the granite top.

Wakahisa Shinta
02-06-2015, 1:08 AM
Following up, Ridgid is sending me a replacement left wing for the TS. I were giving up on the company honoring its lifetime service agreement when I received an email stating that a supervisor approved the replacement and shipment to my address on file. I didn't ask for this. In fact, I asked to just bring the wing, instead of the whole machine, to a service center. So, the lifetime service agreement is not just for marketing purpose.

ian maybury
02-06-2015, 7:23 AM
It sounds like you may be sorted out now Wakahisa, but if you do go bonding steel to granite in the case of a 'mission critical' bond it's probably best to apply some caution. There's lots of structural epoxies, polyurethanes, acrylics and more out there that will make a bond, and will blithely claim to do so with no strings attached. The problem is to find one that is fully weather/humidity proof, and more critically can tolerate the movement that arises in joints like this as a result of differential expansion of the materials during temperature changes. Quite a few will drop off after a time...

Joint size/design/layout and likely conditions make a difference too, as typically does cleaning, suface material, roughness and the like.. Against that ome situations may not even require a strong bond as such in which case this isn't an issue - e.g. the adhesive may only need to act as a packer/to prevent slop, and is mechanically retained in position once cured.

There are mission critical industrial applications where metals are bonded to glass and stone - for example bonding rear view mirror stalks to windscreens during car manufacturing. The key in those cases tends to be to use a structural adhesive with enough flexibility to handle the relative movement that arises during thermal cycling without failing, and to ensure a thick enough bond line/film of adhesive between the parts to enable this.

Industrial/engineering adhesives manufacturers often these days to have a speciality adhesive formulated for this sort of purpose, and may sell them in small volumes in a syringe or whatever. They can probably also help with adhesive selection and joint design. Google should bring up some options...

Randy Red Bemont
02-06-2015, 8:55 AM
Glad to hear that the Ridgid LSA worked for you. I've used it in the past and it's a pretty good deal. I also had that same table saw up to a year ago and it is a great saw. I did like the granite top.

Red