PDA

View Full Version : Cartridge filter selection for a cyclone

Anthony Whitesell
01-23-2015, 1:27 PM
Once upon a time I purchased an Oneida component system that had never been installed or setup. It has a 220VAC 2HP motor with a 13" fan. The cyclone body is the C-950 (I know I need to add the neutral vane). It also came with a 5 filter bag setup. The instructions (yes, it even had the instructions and duct work layout) describe the plenum as 21" wide and 7' long. I don't have that much space. I would like to use a cartridge filter instead. Oneida's included paperwork indicates each filter bag (6' tall) is 18 sq ft for a total of 90 sq feet. So here are the questions:

I expect that I should be looking for a cartridge with at least 90 sq ft. Yes?

How do I make the transition from the fan outlet (square) to the top of the filter?

I am also height limited, the bottom of the fan outlet will be about 78" (6.5') from the ground. That does not include any ducting (an elbow of some sort I presume) to get from the fan to the filter.

In my thinking I need a filter with at least 90 sq ft of area, but want as much as I can get. I would like the smallest diameter possible to save space, but want as much filter as possible. I would also like a way to connect the shop vac to the bottom for cleaning and emptying. So given all of the above, where do I find a filter (and mounting accessories?) that will give me the best bang for my buck?

roger wiegand
01-23-2015, 3:23 PM
Call Oneida, they are extremely helpful with specifying cartridge replacements for filter bags on anyone's older DCs. Once you know what you need you can compare their offering to others.

Jim Andrew
01-23-2015, 4:16 PM
I would call Wynn Environmental. Use your cell phone from your shop so you can give measurements. I forget the number, just google Wynn Environmental. I replaced my filter with a larger one, really improved the suction.

William C Rogers
01-23-2015, 6:36 PM
Second Wynn filters. You won't have any problem reducing the footprint with a cartridge filter. M

Anthony Whitesell
02-03-2015, 12:08 PM
I spoke with both Oneida and Wynn about the cartridge filters. I like the Wynn based Oneida replacements. I would really like to stack a pair of the 18" 220sq ft filters (62N220NANO). But there is an issue. As the cyclone was supposed to have a shaker bag plenum box, I don't have any way or the original materials to "replace" to use the Wynn filters. I think it can be done, but before I drop $400 on the filters I would like to have a plan for installing them. Does any one have any pictures they could post of a cyclone DC that was not setup for these filters but are now using them?

David Kumm
02-03-2015, 12:20 PM
Make your own plenum. 3/4" ply on the bottom and 1/2" sides. caulk and screw. My cartridges have a flange on the open end that I screw into the ply. Dave

Anthony Whitesell
02-03-2015, 12:49 PM
I talked with Wynn about the flanged ones. They would work, but I would only be able to use 1 (no stacking) as they are 34" tall. I'm working a serious tradeoff between floor space, vertical space, and filter area. I want to use as much vertical space as I have (est. 78" to the bottom of the blower exit), get as much filter area as possible in that vertical space, while using as little floor space as possible. All of the filters I have found are either 12"x34" or 18"x25". So I may be able to get everything I'm looking for by stacking 2 of the 18"x25". 18" of floor space (opposed to side by side consuming 36"+), all the vertical space consumed from the floor to the outlet, and a whole lot of filter area (440 sq ft, ie., minimal back pressure and filter SP loss).

Jim Andrew
02-03-2015, 2:18 PM
I have the bigger filter that Wynn sells, I used a piece of ply for the end, cut a 8" hole in the end, and hung the plywood from a shelf bracket, and put 2 bolts into the flange through the ply. The filter has a rubber gasket built in, and on the other end I hang a plastic bag, using a huge hose clamp to fasten it onto the end of the filter. When I run the bin over, the dust goes into the bag rather than plugging the filter.

Len Rosenberg
02-03-2015, 2:50 PM
How do you "stack" cartridge filters?

I spoke with both Oneida and Wynn about the cartridge filters. I like the Wynn based Oneida replacements. I would really like to stack a pair of the 18" 220sq ft filters (62N220NANO). But there is an issue. As the cyclone was supposed to have a shaker bag plenum box, I don't have any way or the original materials to "replace" to use the Wynn filters. I think it can be done, but before I drop $400 on the filters I would like to have a plan for installing them. Does any one have any pictures they could post of a cyclone DC that was not setup for these filters but are now using them?

Anthony Whitesell
02-03-2015, 3:43 PM
How do you "stack" cartridge filters?

I'm not entirely sure. I'm more confident they can be stacked than I can attach the filter to a piece of plywood with a hole in it. But I trust Wynn and they have this page http://cdn.wynnenv.com/wp-content/uploads/cyclone-filter-comp-chart.pdf?442e62 and I have seen other pre-made machines with two cartridge filters one on top of the other.

Rod Sheridan
02-04-2015, 9:01 AM
Once upon a time I purchased an Oneida component system that had never been installed or setup. It has a 220VAC 2HP motor with a 13" fan. The cyclone body is the C-950 (I know I need to add the neutral vane). It also came with a 5 filter bag setup. The instructions (yes, it even had the instructions and duct work layout) describe the plenum as 21" wide and 7' long. I don't have that much space. I would like to use a cartridge filter instead. Oneida's included paperwork indicates each filter bag (6' tall) is 18 sq ft for a total of 90 sq feet. So here are the questions:

I expect that I should be looking for a cartridge with at least 90 sq ft. Yes?

How do I make the transition from the fan outlet (square) to the top of the filter?

I am also height limited, the bottom of the fan outlet will be about 78" (6.5') from the ground. That does not include any ducting (an elbow of some sort I presume) to get from the fan to the filter.

In my thinking I need a filter with at least 90 sq ft of area, but want as much as I can get. I would like the smallest diameter possible to save space, but want as much filter as possible. I would also like a way to connect the shop vac to the bottom for cleaning and emptying. So given all of the above, where do I find a filter (and mounting accessories?) that will give me the best bang for my buck?

When I converted my Oneida component cyclone to an HEPA filter they supplied the square to dound elbow that the filter is attached to and the dust pan on the bottom of the filter........Regards, Rod.

Anthony Whitesell
02-04-2015, 9:38 AM
Square to round I have (I think it is one of the boxes). But I have no way to attach the round end to the filter. Oneida offers a retrofit cartridge, but is 39" long for 95 sq ft or 62" long for 130 sq ft. The Wynn filters I am ogling would be 50" long for 440 sq ft. I found this picture online.

The filter are stacked, I can see a gasket in the bottom. I can attached to that. But now I don't know what is on top.