PDA

View Full Version : Engraving grey ABS enclosure boxes.

Steve Paul
01-23-2015, 1:08 PM
I have a 45 watt Helix and am needing a starting point for engraving the lids on ABS Vellamen enclosure boxes. I want to engrave lettering and symbols then fill them with a dark color. Laser settings are what I am looking for.
Thanks,
Steve Paul

Dan Hintz
01-23-2015, 1:23 PM
Flip a lid over and engrave a test grid on the back. Start light and increase power, as necessary.

Steve Paul
01-23-2015, 1:52 PM
Flip a lid over and engrave a test grid on the back. Start light and increase power, as necessary.
Thanks Dan. Can this be vector cut (1/8" thick) or will I encounter too much heat effected area?
Steve

Gary Hair
01-23-2015, 1:52 PM
Start with 100% speed and 1% power - increase power until you get a mark. If you get to 100% power and still no mark then start decreasing speed until you get to 1%. If you reach 1% speed and 100% power then you are not going to be able to mark the item.

Richard Rumancik
01-24-2015, 11:58 AM
If it is straight ABS you should be able to vector cut it but I would mask the cutting area to avoid smoke damage. If the holes are for connectors, switches and the likes the appearance of the holes will be less of an issue. No way to tell what you will get for sure without sacrificing a box. I cut 1/8" black ABS but black will hide a lot of smoke damage on the edges; I don't know what they grey will do.

You will get a burning-rubber smell from the butadiene so you need good ventilation.

Michael Hunter
01-25-2015, 11:43 AM
ABS boxes cut OK, but there is slight swelling* of the plastic along the cut line, making a bit of a lip : protecting it with transfer or masking tape reduces the swelling.

ABS boxes don't engrave very well, but you *can* get deep enough for colour filling.
One problem is that the engraving reveals flow-lines within the plastic (from when the box was moulded) giving a ridged effect on larger areas.

I have only cut and engraved black boxes (the black is carbon which burns). Grey boxes probably have a grey mineral (non-flammable) filler, which may make the engraving and cutting experience different to mine.

* I think that the swelling is due to the plastic absorbing moisture from the atmosphere, which then vapourises under the laser and makes the plastic swell.
Heating in an oven at around 60 to 70 degrees C for perhaps 10 hours might help with this.