PDA

View Full Version : What centers for turning pen blanks round

Jared Walters
01-23-2015, 11:38 AM
I have special jaws for my nova chuck for holding pen blanks to drill. I'm having trouble with blanks that are poorly cut and not properly square. I try my hardest to start as centered as possible, but it almost always will start squealing.

It was recommended that I turn the blanks round between centers and then mount them on the chuck. This seems like a good idea. I just don't know what centers would be best to do this. I imagine the large and cheap spur center which came with the lathe isn't ideal.

Marvin Hasenak
01-23-2015, 12:38 PM
PSI sells some stub centers, they are what I use for turning between centers. Cost about $20.

Dan Hintz
01-23-2015, 1:21 PM
60 degree centers... dead for the headstock and live for the tailstock.

Jared Walters
01-23-2015, 1:22 PM
Can you provide the link? Having trouble finding it.

Peter Fabricius
01-23-2015, 1:29 PM
Hi Jared,
Try not to overthink this. You are on the right track by drilling the blanks by holding them in the chuck. If the blanks are not totally square then make them so on the table saw or set them in the chuck so the blank edges are held on the actual jaws and not between the jaws.
If squealing then put a little candle wax on the bit each this you go in. Clear the chips frequently. Buy a parabolic 7mm drill bit, they are fantastic.
Install the tubes, square the blanks on the disk sander, turn them round on the pen mandrel or two 60degree centres, one dead one and one live one.
Some turners do the complete pen between these centres and use calipers to get the right diameters. Just measure the pen hardware and go for that diameter.
good luck, have fun with your pens.
Peter F.

Marvin Hasenak
01-23-2015, 1:39 PM
60 degree centers... dead for the headstock and live for the tailstock.

He is wanting to round off the blanks, not turn the finished parts between centers.

Link. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/headstock-drive-centers.html

Peter Fabricius
01-23-2015, 1:45 PM
Got that, Marvin.
But there is no point in doing an extra step to no avail. A pen blank is so easy to turn round after the tubes are installed and the blanks squared.
If anyone really want to buy a great new drive centre then get the Oneway Safe Driver. It is just that SAFE!!!
I use this drive now for just about everything from small spindles to big rough bowl blanks!
Try it.
Peter F.

Marvin Hasenak
01-23-2015, 3:47 PM
Got that, Marvin.
But there is no point in doing an extra step to no avail. A pen blank is so easy to turn round after the tubes are installed and the blanks squared.
If anyone really want to buy a great new drive centre then get the Oneway Safe Driver. It is just that SAFE!!!
I use this drive now for just about everything from small spindles to big rough bowl blanks!
Try it.
Peter F.

But he is having problems getting his holes straight because of crooked blanks, he wants to turn between centers and then drill.

Thom Sturgill
01-23-2015, 5:27 PM
One the page Marvin linked to, the 5/8" super center, which is a Stebb center clone, works well for small blanks and is inexpensive. I have it and its big brother and the are my go-to centers for spindle work. In the four piece set I would suggest the cup center, but the end of the blank needs to be cut square to the length of the blank.

Once rounded, the blank could be held in small chuck jaws or a collet chuck (my preference).

Stan Smith
01-23-2015, 6:40 PM
I just posted some related stuff to this on the penturners forum. Here's what I do:

1. Before the blank is cut in half for the tubes make sure that it's square. I use the band saw with a push stick for that.
2. Cut the halfs to the appropriate length per the pen instructions.
3. I use a PSI pen chuck on the headstock to hold the blank to drill the holes
4. I use a drill chuck in the tailstock with a short bit and my holes come out straight.
5. Glue the tubes in. Let dry according to what type of glue you use.
6. Turn using a pen mandrel with appropriate size bushings for your pen. do not over tighten the mandrel or it will bend.

Yes, there are other ways to do this, but this is the way I have learned to do it--mostly from reading these forums. I don't regret spending a few extra bucks for some accessories such as the pen chuck, mandrel, etc.. I make a lot of pens as gifts and people really like receiving them, too. Friends and family really like it that you took the time to personally make them something. Just sayin....

Mike Brazeau
01-24-2015, 9:17 PM
I make a few pens and often from imperfect blanks I have cut from small bits of wood I have milled, usually from someone's departed tree or spalted woods. As Peter suggests, I turn round between the Oneway Safe Driver and Oneway live center. Beauty of this setup is both end marks are the same, more important on other spindle work. I then mount in #1 jaws on Oneway or Talon chuck to drill concentrically. I bought the Penn State mandrel saver a couple of years ago and love it.

Jared Walters
01-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the help everyone, unfortunately I can't just square the blanks. I'm working on an improvised patio shop and I don't have access to a table saw or a bandsaw. That's why I'm trying to turn them round before mounting them in the chuck.

Would this be the oneway safe driver you're all recommending? I assume it's small enough to hold a pen blank or else it wouldn't even be mentioned?

http://www.amazon.com/Oneway-2593-Taper-Safe-Driver/dp/B006WMRDUA/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

Thom Sturgill
01-26-2015, 10:58 AM
Would this be the oneway safe driver you're all recommending? I assume it's small enough to hold a pen blank or else it wouldn't even be mentioned?

http://www.amazon.com/Oneway-2593-Taper-Safe-Driver/dp/B006WMRDUA/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t

Yes. One the same page was a link to the PSI stebb center clone that I mentioned.

Dan Hintz
01-26-2015, 11:04 AM
unfortunately I can't just square the blanks. I'm working on an improvised patio shop and I don't have access to a table saw or a bandsaw.

Sears sells mini desktop bandsaws... surely something like this would be useful when you have to remain portable.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-26-2015, 11:11 AM
I use a pen mandrel and bushings. For the tailstock I use the PSI mandrel saver. Presses on the blanks and not the mandrel. Works really good. I use cut offs and off sized pieces too. Less than 50 bucks for both items shipped to your door.

Jared Walters
01-26-2015, 11:36 AM
Great thank you. Another thing... I hadn't checked the thread in a few days and I purchased a 60 degree live center from woodcraft this weekend following the advice of an earlier poster. I see now that he may have mistakenly thought I was talking about turning a pen without a mandrel. Do you think this live center will be sufficient or should I return it and get something else. I haven't used it yet, but it looks massive.

Paul Bylin
01-26-2015, 11:45 AM
I guess everyone has they're own way of doing things, so I thought I would add mine. By the way, I'm self taught, so I could be wrong. To me, it doesn't really matter if the pen blank is perfectly square. I find the approximate center, drill it out on the drill press. Then glue the tubes in. Place the un-square blanks on the mandril and turn them...Ive only made about 50 pens, but so far haven't had a problem doing it this way.

Jared Walters
01-26-2015, 12:12 PM
I may have not been clear enough in my original post. I turn on a mandrel, and have no problem with that part. The issue I have related to drilling the blank. I don't have a drill press so I have to drill on my lathe. I have jaws to hold the blank in my headstock while I use a parabolic bit in the tailstock to drill the hole. It squeals LOUDLY, often so loud I have to stop or else I could very easily get noise complaints. The reason is almost certainly because the blank is poorly centered due to being badly out of square. I don't have a table saw to square them.

Noting all this, I want to turn the blanks round between centers, then mount them in the chuck to drill since they will be far better centered and drill smoothly. I just have the big spur center and live center that came with my cheap lathe, I need recommendations for small centers that will work well for turning a blank round before drilling.

Lee Reep
01-26-2015, 12:14 PM
Jared,

I turn lots of spindles -- pens, peppermills, tool handles, pizza cutter handles, etc. A small diameter Stebcenter at headstock, and a live center, is the simplest way I've found to easily turn irregular blanks round. I have the Nova pen drilling jaws, and as long as your stock is square or rectangular in cross section, you can immediately chuck it in the pen drilling jaws for drilling your bore for the brass tubes.

Turning pen blanks can be done on a mandrel, and you have the added benefit of turning both top and bottom blanks at one time, since the mandrel is long enough to have two blanks and multiple bushings (3 or 4). The more accurate way to turn one blank is between centers (BTC). You use a dead center in the headstock, and a live center in the tailstock. You can use bushings usually, since most have a 60 degree recess at one end, and the other end fits into the brass tube. If you do not have bushings, you can hold the blank on the brass tubes directly between the dead and live centers. Just do not overtighten or you will flare the ends of the brass tube. Without bushings, just use a digital caliper to get the diameters correct.

Lots of options on making pens. I sometimes use a mandrel, and sometimes I turn BTC.

Also, a live center is the most used lathe accessory I own. It is a must-have item for turning. Check out some YouTube videos. I like Eddie Castelin's (Capn Eddie, also Capt.Eddie). He provides a lot of entertainment while showing some really practical turning advice. I have mostly watched him for non-pen turning videos, but there are a lot of great how-to videos on YouTube on everything lathe-related.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-26-2015, 2:51 PM
Oh, drilling the blank..... Mount the pen blank in your chuck, and use your gouge to round off the end at the tailstock. You can also square off the blank end too. Reverse the blank and round off the rest. Then you can drill. If you have that fancy long pen blank drilling jaws, I would think putting the blank half way in would have enough grab to safely turn the other end round. Good luck.

Stan Calow
01-26-2015, 6:35 PM
Jared google up "pen drilling chuck". I think this is what you need. It holds a piece on two corners, and centers it very easily for drilling with a drill chuck in the tail. No marking the centers needed. I'm no expert, but I just drilled 100 pieces like this, one after the other, and would have quit if I had not got this pen drilling chuck. I think it was about $80 but worth it for me.

Dan Hintz
01-27-2015, 8:33 AM
I don't even worry about a special chuck... just slide it between the edges of my pin jaws. Centers just as well as a specialty chuck, and costs nothing if you already have them.

Peter Fabricius
01-27-2015, 11:45 AM
Hi Jared,
Re: your new live centre you say it is large??? You will find most live centres to have a Morse Taper #2 and a set of bearings in a housing and a turning (live) portion that is about 3/4" in diameter and with the 60 degree point.
This is one of the most used and needed tools for your lathe as has been said.
If you have one with a 3/4" x 10tpi threaded end then the versatility is even better, Oneway tools, Powermatic and Jet all have this live end and can be very useful for holding all types of lathe work using Soft Noses that screw onto the live end.....
A Mandrel Saver is also a great way to hold the pen blanks on your mandrel without bending the mandrel from too much tailstock pressure.
Making your own tapered Corian bushings is a great way to hold your blanks on the mandrel without having to worry about CA glue sticking the blanks to the mandrel!

This is a lot of info so, just go slow study the options and pick the best ones for your use.
Peter F.