PDA

View Full Version : Above table shopvac hose pvc boom

Mike Heidrick
01-23-2015, 5:19 AM
Decided to move the shopvac hose above my bench. Doing a diy shopvac pivoting pvc boom. So far I have just put a piece of 2.5 grey conduit in a 5 gal bucket with some sakreet. In that I will run a piece of 2" sched 40 pvc to make a 90 with a support 45 as well and then the arm out over the bench. Copying the diy festool boom shown on youtube. Anyone else make a semi portable boom for their vac?

Brian W Smith
01-23-2015, 5:34 AM
Look at welding fume extractors......we have one,although it dosen't know it yet,haha.All the pcs are in a large cardoard box.But seriously look at these.There are several,notably different styles.Although ours IS for welding,it was through their study that we were really seeing potential for certain wood dust applications.These being mainly,overhead....edge work...and when booms make sense.

Further study should see you investing energies into how your system interfaces with the floor.Sort of rubber meeting the rd. mentality.This foundation precedes everything.So,look at how jib cranes are mounted......look for similarities.For instance,can you design a boom well enough to mount a power feed on it?Assuming it's living near a pce of equipment that could utilize one.Good luck.

Rick Potter
01-23-2015, 1:18 PM
Here is one I made for my portable dust deputy setup. The arm comes right out to attach to a workbench or whatever.

Sorry about the sideways pic..computer dummy. If you look at where the shop vac hose is attached to the arm at the bottom, there is a blocker plate at the bottom of the wye. It prevents suction from going DOWN, and the pipe below the wye is simply a leg which slides in and out of the cart, enabling the arms removal.

Perhaps a moderator can straighten out the pic?