PDA

View Full Version : DARN IT!! Table Saw DIED !!!!

Clarence Martin
01-22-2015, 6:02 PM
DARN IT !!!

After 18 years of faithful service, my Sears Craftsman Contractors table saw with the Cast Iron wings has called it quits !!! Oh, it starts, but the tilt handle on the right hand side of the table saw is stripped out and the threaded bar it turns just will not turn. Something on it is all seized up. I think after 18 years of hard work sawing 8/4 through 12/4 Hardwoods of various species, it just had enough !!:(:(:(:(

Now, I got the 2015 GRIZZLY CATALOG :D coming in the mail soon, so there may be a bright light at the end of this pause in Woodworking !!:)

Any suggestions on a Grizzly table saw for a basement workshop ?

Ole Anderson
01-22-2015, 6:18 PM
Just got my big fat Grizzly catalog yesterday. Quite a few choices for a 10" table saw. Personally I have had the 1023 right tilt for probably 15 years and love it. I have a skinny basement shop, but managed to squeeze in a long set of aftermarket rails (HTC no longer made).

Dave Zellers
01-22-2015, 6:23 PM
Oh man, I feel your pain. My Delta contractor's table saw is coming up on 40 years old. Losing it will be like losing an old friend, PLUS I'll have to replace it ASAP.

I read good things here about the Grizzly's. My advice would be to decide how much is the most you are willing to spend and then buy the next more expensive model.

:D

Jim Andrew
01-22-2015, 7:33 PM
See Grizzly is selling a model G0623x,which features a 78 1/2" sliding table, scoring blade, outrigger, everything you would get with a 79-48 Hammer for less than half the price of the Hammer. Does anyone on the forum have one of these saws? It is 2995 plus 150 shipping.

James Nugnes
01-22-2015, 7:49 PM
I don't know if these are a new model from SawStop but I did see these job site table saws that are on a dolly. Thwy were at HIghland woodworking but I am guessing they are available from all SawStop dealers. Thought it was kind of a neat idea to have it mobile like that.

Randy Red Bemont
01-22-2015, 7:57 PM
I have the Grizzly G1023RLX and love it. Great saw with large capacity cutting. Plenty of power. Fit and finish is awesome. Great saw.

Red

David Hendricks
01-22-2015, 8:07 PM
That should be an easy enough fix, a set screw is all that connects the wheel to the threaded rod, take the wheel or handle off (whichever you have) and see if you need to file a new edge on the rod. If it is rounded over just use an file and put another flat edge on it.

Dave Zellers
01-22-2015, 9:43 PM
That should be an easy enough fix, a set screw is all that connects the wheel to the threaded rod, take the wheel or handle off (whichever you have) and see if you need to file a new edge on the rod. If it is rounded over just use an file and put another flat edge on it.
I think what is going on here is more along the lines of "I finally have an excuse to buy a new saw" :)

Cary Falk
01-22-2015, 9:43 PM

You should be perma-banned for discouraging the purchase of a new tool.:D

I vote for the Grizzly G1023RL. I have one and love it.

Clarence Martin
01-22-2015, 11:02 PM
i think what is going on here is more along the lines of "i finally have an excuse to buy a new saw" :)

exactly. :D

Clarence Martin
01-22-2015, 11:05 PM
Do any of the Contractor or Hybrid table saws have 4 inch openings for a regular dust hose to hook up to my Jet DC-650 ?

John McBride
01-22-2015, 11:12 PM
exactly. :D

Yes.....this exactly!

This is an OPPORTUNITY..... Not an event to mourn.....a carpe diem moment.

Kent A Bathurst
01-22-2015, 11:26 PM
DARN IT !!!

After 18 years of faithful service, my Sears Craftsman Contractors table saw with the Cast Iron wings has called it quits !!! Oh, it starts, but the tilt handle on the right hand side of the table saw is stripped out and the threaded bar it turns just will not turn. Something on it is all seized up. I think after 18 years of hard work sawing 8/4 through 12/4 Hardwoods of various species, it just had enough !!:(:(:(:(

Now, I got the 2015 GRIZZLY CATALOG :D coming in the mail soon, so there may be a bright light at the end of this pause in Woodworking !!:)

Any suggestions on a Grizzly table saw for a basement workshop ?

Well. I think you got your money's worth from your last saw, Clarence.

I have a basement shop. My Unisaw hast he 52" extension w/Biese fence, making it right at 6' wide. I have a ply table on the outfeed side, so the total surface is 6' x 6'. It fits fine, and it is a great surface for finishing, assembly, whatever for stuff that won't fit on my workbench, or is not convenient to do there for whatever reason.

So - yeah - it is certainly doable, of that is what you are wondering. As far as Grizz - there are one big bunch of guys here that have them.

Clarence Martin
01-22-2015, 11:30 PM
Found this on the Sears website. Don't know if it is a discontinued model

Craftsman Professional 1-3/4 HP Premium Hybrid 10" Table Saw (22116)
Is this saw worth the money ? It's got a Granite top!!

Terry Welty
01-23-2015, 12:43 AM
I've had the Ridgid version for several years and like it. No rust! Glue scrapes off with a razor blade.

John Donhowe
01-23-2015, 1:01 AM

Yes, it's discontinued, so you have to look for it on Searsoutlet.com. I snagged one last week for $380 (missing a few non-critical parts); haven't had time since to tune up and put it through paces, but certainly is rock solid (literally!) and well built. Has Biesemeyer clone fence. If you're inclined, jump on it ASAP, they're going fast.

cody michael
01-23-2015, 8:12 AM
I think your best bet would be to buy my delta contractor saw I have for sale after I bought my unisaw!

Bas Pluim
01-23-2015, 8:21 AM
See Grizzly is selling a model G0623x,which features a 78 1/2" sliding table, scoring blade, outrigger, everything you would get with a 79-48 Hammer for less than half the price of the Hammer. Does anyone on the forum have one of these saws? It is 2995 plus 150 shipping.
I have this saw, very happy with it. Search Google for "g0623x Bas" and "g0623x ncwoodworker" for some reviews.

Curt Harms
01-23-2015, 9:36 AM
You mention that you cut 2" - 3" hardwood. How often? I think a 3 H.P. machine would be happier dealing with that on a routine basis than a 1 3/4 H.P. machine. Powerwise, a 1 3/4 H.P. machine shouldn't be that different than what you have now. 3 H.P. cabinet saws deal with thick hardwoods easily and have done so for years.

Clarence Martin
01-23-2015, 4:49 PM
Yes, it's discontinued, so you have to look for it on Searsoutlet.com. I snagged one last week for $380 (missing a few non-critical parts); haven't had time since to tune up and put it through paces, but certainly is rock solid (literally!) and well built. Has Biesemeyer clone fence. If you're inclined, jump on it ASAP, they're going fast.

Found a few on that website. One was going for $329 BUT!! It is in Anchorage, Alaska. Don't think Sears will ship that to NY.

Bill Space
01-23-2015, 5:00 PM
If you can swing it and have the space you will be amazed at the difference between the sears saw and a cabinet saw. I still have my sears contractors saw in the house next door that I am renovating, but there is no comparison between the sears saw and the Grizzly cabinet saw that replaced it. The Grizzly is an absolutely wonderful saw compared to the Sears saw. End of story.

So if you can afford to buy a true cabinet saw, something that will likely outlast you...do it now! I waited until I was in my mid 60's to buy mine. Should have done so a couple decades ago!

Bill

Sid Matheny
01-23-2015, 11:51 PM

Is this saw worth the money ? It's got a Granite top!!

I have had this saw a couple of years and really like it. Of course you can trash can the blade that comes with it. LOL

Sid

John Sanford
01-25-2015, 6:03 PM
Just pick your dream saw, grit your teeth, whip out the checkbook, and get it. Whether it's a Grizzly, a Sawstop, or whatever. You don't indicate what phase of life you're in, but if you got 18 years out of your first saw, you'll likely get 20-40 out of your next one. At 20 years, even an entry level Euro small slider is only going to cost you $250 a year or so.

Gary Van Antwerp
01-27-2015, 1:11 PM

I own a GI 50-200r. Great saw, great price. See my post for more info
I added pics of my saw. excuse the mess. I am cleaning out the garage

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?137575-Gary-Van-Antwerp (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?137575-Gary-Van-Antwerp)

Bryan Vaughan
01-28-2015, 5:18 PM
Gary, that is nice. I have a Ridgid contractors saw that I'm working on a home made table extension and router lift.
I bought the plans for the drop in lift from Stumpy Nubs for $5. 00 but I'm not sure that's exactly what I want to do
now. I really want a lift that will fit a more standard size plate but I can't spend that kind of money.

I do like your table/ setup.

Bryan

Brent Ring
01-28-2015, 6:37 PM

I do and a few others do here as well. Ed Vitanovec I believe. Love it! Highly recommended!