PDA

View Full Version : Lasercut 5.3 -MPC6515 replaced with MPC6535 & new stepper drivers

Vicki Rivrud
01-22-2015, 5:03 PM
There is phenomenon
The laser would not cut all the way through small circles in Acrylite black acrylic - something we use to cut many many parts. It was skipping in rotating around the circle so some part of it was cut but not all the way around.
The speed is set to 10.

I went into the machine settings - work mode - and changed the corner acc from 400 to 50.
saved and downloaded the cfg file to the machine.

I observed that if I change the speed setting in the project file, the machine setting in work mode cut - appears as 400 again!

Must be a default of some kind???

So I made sure my speed was correct went into the machine options work mode cut corner acc and set it to 50, saved it but it was not downloaded to the machine however I am assuming that it downloaded with the project cut file, the circles cut perfectly and all the way through with a speed setting of 10.

Just as a test, I changed the speed again to something else in lasercut in this file and checked the machine options and yes the corner acc changed back to 400.

The last problem
If I cut a file and the immediate is unchecked, which will make the laser head go to the specific beginning, according to the lasercut software grid, complete the file and then shut off the machine, perhaps to go to lunch.
When I turn the machine back on and press start to cut the file again in the same place it appears to drop down slightly ruining the original cut.

Any feedback, saga wisdom, experience or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Vix

Rich Harman
01-22-2015, 5:16 PM
5000 steps for one motor revolution, how many motor revolution equal one revolution of the larger pulley? Big gear #teeth/motor gear #teeth = ratio. If the big gear has 72 teeth and the motor gear has 24 then that is a 3:1 ratio. That means 15,000 steps for one revolution.

If the output gear is also 24 tooth then that means that the laser travels 72mm with each revolution for a 3mm pitch belt.

72mm/15,000 steps equals .0048mm step length.

Bill George
01-22-2015, 6:36 PM
Well none of the pulley sizes and mechanical has changed, so why can't all the settings for the old controller be used? If I ever changed my setup to a new controller I would just do some screen captures and prints of all the old settings. When I had my CNC router I would save the settings from time to time.

Vicki Rivrud
01-22-2015, 6:51 PM
no longer needed

Bill George
01-22-2015, 7:04 PM
This is a machine that has not been run before . . . it was in storage . . . . it was built with a 6515 but the board had to be replaced so I was trying the 6535 I have on hand. Dip switches on the stepper drivers were never set at the factory. all were in the off position. So I am starting from scratch.

But thanks for the post!

What brand of laser, they should be able to give you the settings or was a laser someone put together? IF you had purchased the controller from Marco at LightObject dot com he would probably help you get it running.

Vicki Rivrud
01-22-2015, 8:35 PM
Thank you Bill - I am using Leetro products not the Lightobjects products.

Vicki Rivrud
01-22-2015, 10:21 PM
Thank you Rich, this helped greatly!

Vicki Rivrud
01-24-2015, 3:48 PM
There is phenomenon
The laser would not cut all the way through small circles in Acrylite black acrylic - something we use to cut many many parts. It was skipping in rotating around the circle so some part of it was cut but not all the way around.
The speed is set to 10.

skipping in rotating around the circle, so some part of it was cut but not all the way around
Discovered that there was a defective focal tube - the lens was wiggling/jiggling around in the tube so badly as well as the tube itself even though the set screw was tight,
when it went into rotation or travel a turn or across the table, the lens was going in & out of focus, thus skipping areas all together.
Seated lens with a o-ring gasket for now to keep in place! Applied metal tape to focal tube shaft to really keep from sliding up and down from vibration.
Now cutting perfect circles & perfect corners. The cut edges are now almost 90 degrees and flame polished looking.
The 6535 cuts 20% faster than the 6515 and the lower power setting doesn't make it hinky- now able to cut the black 3/8" acrylic in one pass.

ALSO - got rid of the junky little air pump and upgraded the air assist - AIR really is your friend! The laser is cutting flawlessly, the excess is blown out of the cut and there is relatively little flashback on the underside.

Next improvement will be a iron pin table to raise off the table instead of the black aluminum knives.

The last problem
If I cut a file and the immediate is unchecked, which will make the laser head go to the specific beginning, according to the lasercut software grid, complete the file and then shut off the machine, perhaps to go to lunch.
When I turn the machine back on and press start to cut the file again in the same place it appears to drop down slightly ruining the original cut.
Really had nothing to do with this phenomenon - it was the slop of the traveling focal tube and/or jiggling of the lens

Just a note about immediate in Lasercut - be sure that when you are downloading the cfg file to the controller you have the immediate checked - if not then when you process a file using the immediate checked the software stutters and sends the head somewhere instead of were you have placed it in the physical location.

Many new users are not aware of this:
immediate unchecked - the head travels to the point on the Lasercut software grid - SOFTWARE driven
immediate checked- the head will stay at the point you move it to on the physical bed YOU determine place to start on the bed.

Vix

HUGE KUDOS go out to Rodney, Dave & Rich for their generous sharing of their wealth of knowledge, expertise and general know-how! Previous posts lead me back to the point of suspected problem.
Their kindness and respect, when answering my PM's, emails & post helped make my problem solving less stressful as I was banging my head against the wall and my gut was twisted. My husband was very ill
and I had to step in an learn so many things I never dreamed I'd have to know - normally he is hardware and I am software.;)

I also need to give a BIG Thanks to Ken in Ohio - he braved the cold and took photos of his 6535 wiring and snap shots of the machine settings in Lasercut - his great effort helped me tremendously!

For those who posted, PM'd me or emailed me and were snarky, disrespectful or unkind - get a life and remember that the purpose of this forum is to help one another - whether in time of need or learning something new.
Whether you are a buyer, seller or laser user, hobbyist or professional!

Chinese lasers are unique and anyone with a Chinese laser knows that support is next to none, sometimes even when purchased from a US distributor.
I always try to give back and share my meager 8 years of knowledge but sometimes I too need help :)
Thanks again for all the help.

With all this said - the 6535 is installed and working and all the stepper drivers/motors and pulse calculations are were they should be - cutting quickly and to scale.

Vix

Wilbur Harris
01-26-2015, 2:17 PM
Thanks Vickie!

Ken Shea
02-09-2015, 8:47 PM
Just saw this tonight Vicki,
Congratulations !

I could use some of that tenacity of your's :)

Ken