PDA

View Full Version : MM16 or LT18???

Chris Lee
07-25-2005, 8:51 AM
I remember reading somewhere that MiniMax was having a special on the MM16 even if you were not at the show. It was on a flyer. Does anybody have this flyer that can tell me the details of the sale? I am hoping to order a new saw today.

I am also looking at the Laguna LT18 since they are offering free freight which would make the final price about the same. Anybody that can offer any input on this would be appreciated.

I think I have chewed my finger off over this decision!

Chris

Greg Ladd
07-25-2005, 9:10 AM
BTW, I am a confirmed Minimax fan. I think their custoner service is second to none.T

Go to the Minimax web site. There is a contact phone number there. I would give Michael Kahn a call. He can answer any questions you might have.

Sorry but I didn't keep the sales flyer.

A recent thread on this same topic a couple of weeks ago showed that there are many Laguna fans also. That same thread showed that some Laguna purchasers have been considerably less than satisfied with Laguna after the sale. Sorry but I do not have the link to that thread.

To be fair, there are probably some Minimax customers that have not been pleased with the way some problems have been resolved.

Greg

Greg Ladd
07-25-2005, 9:17 AM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=21993

Steve Rowe
07-25-2005, 9:43 AM
I remember reading somewhere that MiniMax was having a special on the MM16 even if you were not at the show. It was on a flyer. Does anybody have this flyer that can tell me the details of the sale? I am hoping to order a new saw today.

I am also looking at the Laguna LT18 since they are offering free freight which would make the final price about the same. Anybody that can offer any input on this would be appreciated.

I think I have chewed my finger off over this decision!

Chris
Chris,
Don't chew your fingers off over this decision, that's what bandsaws are for. I have a 5 year old LT-18 and am extemely happy with it and with Laguna's customer service. I would purchase the Laguna again and would probably be happy with the MiniMax as well.
It appears the primary difference between the two are the guides. The MM uses standard euro guides and the Laguna uses ceramic guides. My LT-18 was originally supplied with the Euroguides and I upgraded to the ceramic guides 3 years ago. I am not going back and much prefer the ceramic guides over the euro guides. Some may prefer the euroguides. My suggestion is to decide which guide system is right for you and choose the saw that matches. If you choose the MM and want the ceramic guides, this will cost you over $200.
Steve

Mike Wilkins
07-25-2005, 10:17 AM
Another satisfied owner of a Laguna LT18 for over 4 years. No problems with the machine since purchase; this was an upgrade from a Delta 14" machine. Like the other responder, I too upgraded from the OEM Euro guides to the ceramic guides and it was well worth the expense.

Both companies make and sell some fine machinery, and you will most likely be satisfied with either. But I still love my Laguna.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Chris Lee
07-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Thanks for everyones help! Just got off the phone with MiniMax. My MM16 should ship today!!!:D $2,095 and they included the mobility kit, miter gauge and 3 blades. It was hard not to say yes.

Chris

Jeff A. Smith
07-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for everyones help! Just got off the phone with MiniMax. My MM16 should ship today!!!:D $2,095 and they included the mobility kit, miter gauge and 3 blades. It was hard not to say yes.

Chris

That's a really nice saw. Get yourself a box of disposable shop cloths and a little kerosene -- you're going to be removing cosmoline like you've never imagined very soon!

Jeff Smith
Athens, AL

Robert Tarr
07-25-2005, 2:03 PM
Chris,

If I were you, I would inquire about them making a deal on a Lennox blade for you. It was not free, but they knocked a few bucks off for me, when I bought my MM16. That saw with a nice carbide tipped blade will make you wonder what took you so long to order it. Don't get me wrong, the other blades are fine, but if you can save a few bucks on a nice carbide blade, you will be happy you did. If not now, get one from Iturra later.

Enjoy and the new coating they put on everything is green...much easier to get off than the old stuff....pay attention to the micro switches and get them as clean as you can.

Robert

Cecil Arnold
07-25-2005, 3:28 PM
Second that on the blade. I think if you ask they will get one for around $100, which is still less than anywhere esle.