PDA

View Full Version : HUGE Favor from someone with a Trotec Speedy 300 60 Watt

Greg W Watson
01-22-2015, 10:20 AM
I had a computer crash and I lost all my custom materials database. I had some written down but most of my settings are gone. I know every machine is different but I am hoping someone would be willing to share their materials database with me.

Greg

Dan Hintz
01-22-2015, 12:12 PM
This won't help you for your current problem, but...

I place all of my settings on a non-printable layer of any image I work with (I'm assuming the use of CorelDRAW here, but other decent programs will offer similar features). Now, whenever I bring up an old design, I know exactly what settings I used to create it. Should the materials database ever crash, recreating it would be tedious, but trivial.

Greg W Watson
01-22-2015, 4:14 PM
Bloody genius idea I will start doing that from now on.

Bert Kemp
01-22-2015, 11:13 PM
Dang Dan
I'm a complete corel dummy took me an hour of reading about how to create a layer which is pretty easy once you figure out how:D Now I have to go do this to a gazillion files I have saved:eek:

Henri Sallinen
01-23-2015, 3:25 AM
There is also a way to put everything you don't want printed outside your workarea. We do all the design work outside the printable workarea. Some of our files have only about 1% of the vector inside the this area and the rest 99% is outside. Yes, Corel draw gives an error saying the output doesn't fit the media, but we allways print only the selected files and tick print "selection".

And to avoid getting our .dat files blown away when a computer crashes, we use Dropbox to store them.

From what I've read on these forums, many people tend to keep everything inside the page limits which in my oppinion is very restricting.

Wilbur Harris
01-23-2015, 3:55 AM
You can have a backup disk drive for peanuts these days. I use Norton Ghost to run a backup every night (I'm asleep anyway) and have had the same files for years and years. Sure, you lose one or two seemingly important files when your computer crashes but your gonna lose those anyway. Norton Ghost will restore your computer as it was last backup....replace the drive that failed and do a restore. I keep a drive on hand just in case and it takes about two hours including the time it takes to re-learn how to do it.

Downside is that you backup a virus if you caught one. In that case, you'll need to get rid of the virus and run a complete backup...or remember how you got rid of it.

The next best thing, maybe better, is to run a mirror drive and hope that what gets one drive won't get both.

Dan Hintz
01-23-2015, 6:54 AM
From what I've read on these forums, many people tend to keep everything inside the page limits which in my oppinion is very restricting.

Doing so avoids the issue of other programs (and sometimes Corel itself) choking on the file (as you saw with your error message). There's also no guarantee Corel won't make a change in the next version that removes information outside the page (since it is seen as an error), so why chance it. I see no reason not to keep everything within the limits of the page, mainly because you can turn viewing of the layer on/off, so it has no effect on the underlying artwork.

But if it works for you...

Mike Null
01-23-2015, 7:58 AM
Why not just make your notes where Corel provides for them. Whenever you save a file there is a note section. I also make notes on the file itself from time to time and my files are backed up on another computer as well as Carbonite.

Bert Kemp
01-23-2015, 9:46 AM
I don't see this the way you do. I see a spot to add note when I clic save, I don't see how you view the note when the file is open, ???

Why not just make your notes where Corel provides for them. Whenever you save a file there is a note section. I also make notes on the file itself from time to time and my files are backed up on another computer as well as Carbonite.

Mike Null
01-23-2015, 10:32 AM
Bert

You are correct. You view it on opening the file.

Dan Hintz
01-23-2015, 1:19 PM

I can print out my notes layer if I want a hardcopy, and I can also include graphics (such as item scans/pics and the like).

Mike Null
01-23-2015, 5:26 PM
I think our processes differ enough that yours is good for you but would be cumbersome for me. Much of my business is repetitious.