PDA

View Full Version : A Creeker in the shop!

Andy London
07-25-2005, 8:50 AM
Would you drive 2, 960 miles for Birdseye? :eek: Fellow forum member Martin Shupe arrived this weekend with a few boards of flame and curly maple in tow in exchange for some curly Birdseye for a shaker project he would like to do along with his beautiful wife, who I might add must be a saint, and their two children from Texas!

We had a wonderful time talking shop, eating lobster, steak and of course our traditional camp fire with marshmallows, while the children had a really good work out on the trampoline!

As with all vacations it was too short however we really appreciated the short time they spent with us and hope they soon return! The family is off this morning to pick up a Nova Scotia Duck Retriever, which I wasn’t aware we are famous forJ…..I can only guess this trip will be one to remember and for those of you with children know what I am probably referring to……more patience than I.

They will be arriving in Maine this evening for three days I believe, then they will be calling on Jim Becker and Bill Grumbine…..I sent a treat from our wood stash for your turning pleasure! :)

Below are a few images for the picture police, one in front of a pile of burls we have slabbed up and one from Peggy’s Cove (sight of the Swiss Air crash a few years ago), Martin and I snuck off for an hour as I wanted to show him the location while the ladies took the kids beach hunting for star fish, glad to report the weather cooperated.

Andy

http://www.picframer.ca/2375.jpg

http://www.picframer.ca/2376.jpg

Donnie Raines
07-25-2005, 8:55 AM
So how did you like the flame cherry???... :D

Andy London
07-25-2005, 9:07 AM
So how did you like the flame cherry???... :D

It looks good, haven't planed it yet but I have a perfect project in mind, Thanks a bunch!

I sent Martin away with some birdseye that is just amazing, two pieces are also curly!

Thanks for finding he wood Donnie!

Andy

Jim Becker
07-25-2005, 10:24 AM
LOL! Martin beat me to the great north-north-north-east! Matching foreheads, too, it seems with you two. :D

Seriously, I've hooked up with Martin several times and he's one serious dude when it comes to lumber. I bet he was in heaven up there in NS!! (Martin, if you read this, I hope you'll be able to stop by on your return journey)

Ken Fitzgerald
07-25-2005, 10:30 AM
Sounds like an enjoyable and "woody" visit!

Kurt Aebi
07-25-2005, 11:37 AM
Andy,
Sounds like you had a very enjoyable visit. My wife visited Peggy's Cove last fall on their cruise up the coast and brought me back a hat from there!

Martin, if you read this - you are welcome to stop by here in Vermont (if it is on your planned route) It would be a pleasure to meet you and your family. If not - no worries, don't change your plans just for me. Also you may want to look up Dave Anderson (NH) as he is more towards the coast than me!

Creeker's are always welcome! Hope your vacation is good, but it could be a let-down the rest of the way, now that you've met Andy - what else could be better! LOL :D :) ;)

Andy - thanks for sharing your visit with us!

Steve Stube
07-25-2005, 4:36 PM
Andy, you get one Summer day a year and company comes over. LOL

Thanks for sharing!

Andy London
07-25-2005, 5:30 PM
Andy, you get one Summer day a year and company comes over. LOL

Thanks for sharing!

How true, glad we planned that one day right :D On a serious note, we have had some excellent weather this year however living near the Ocean, you blink and that changes real quick........

My original post should have said Curly and Flame Cherry not Maple that Martin brought....had Maple on the brain this morning I guess :rolleyes:

If anyone else is coming this way, by all means look us up, if you don't remember the wood you will remember the lobster!

Andy

Dan Forman
07-25-2005, 6:03 PM
Sounds like a great time was had by all.

As to the weather, when I lived in North Dakota, they used to say "If summer comes on a weekend this year, by golly I'm goin fishin!

Dan

Bill Grumbine
07-25-2005, 7:45 PM
Hi Andy

Martin has been here twice now, and we are hoping to see the entire family in the next few days. A treat from the wood stash, eh? I hope he comes here first! :D

I'll be sure to post some pics if and when he makes it.

Bill

Andy London
07-25-2005, 8:16 PM
Hi Andy

Martin has been here twice now, and we are hoping to see the entire family in the next few days. A treat from the wood stash, eh? I hope he comes here first! :D

I'll be sure to post some pics if and when he makes it.

Bill

That was the plan as of this morning as the firewood is on log form, I think he is going to get you to cut it then you and Becker can ummmm discuss who gets what :rolleyes:

He said he's had some great times in your shop learning and playing on your lathe. I was hoping we would have some lathe time also but there was soooo much to do and so little time....We got really off track when we started telling flying stories (I used to fly out west)...boy the hours just disappeared!

Also had some great times at Beckers also. It is a real treat to get together with folks from the forum, I think Seth and I will try and make your barbacue next year as we need to visit Beckers shop...I have just the piece of wood in mind to pass a day away.

Andy

Martin Shupe
08-15-2005, 8:02 AM
Andy,
Sounds like you had a very enjoyable visit. My wife visited Peggy's Cove last fall on their cruise up the coast and brought me back a hat from there!

Martin, if you read this - you are welcome to stop by here in Vermont (if it is on your planned route) It would be a pleasure to meet you and your family. If not - no worries, don't change your plans just for me. Also you may want to look up Dave Anderson (NH) as he is more towards the coast than me!

Creeker's are always welcome! Hope your vacation is good, but it could be a let-down the rest of the way, now that you've met Andy - what else could be better! LOL :D :) ;)

Andy - thanks for sharing your visit with us!

Kurt, I finally found this thread...

I'll be sure to look you up next trip in that area, and also Dave Anderson, who I have met, but we didn't go near his part of the state this trip. Thanks for the invite.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-15-2005, 8:05 AM
Must be fun visiting everyone Martin! Sure looks nice where you are from Andy.

Martin Shupe
08-15-2005, 8:13 AM
Andy's hospitality made the visit worth the drive. Where else can you go and be treated to lobster, real Canadian bacon, and home made waffles with real maple syrup?

If any Creekers find themselves in Nova Scotia, a visit to Andy's house should be at the top of their list of things to do. He has a wonderful wife and family, a very cool shop, some fantastic wood (not just birdseye, but enough burls to make Bill Grumbine swoon) and did I mention how good his wife cooks?

Peggy's Cove is beautiful, and my kids got to hold real starfish in their hands, plucked temporarily from the ocean.

He kept telling me how harsh the winters are, and I am sure he is correct, but the weather we had was just perfect.

The visit was wonderful, the conversation fascinating (Andy is one talented guy) and did I mention the food?

Thanks again, Andy we had a great time!