PDA

View Full Version : Will this be a good laser filter?

Wilbur Harris
01-21-2015, 8:10 PM
Will the Fumex fume extractor, FA2SSD be a good laser filter? Good enough to filter the laser exhaust into the room and the room remain habitable?

I got a pretty good deal on this today and bought it before asking. Good enough deal that I think I can sell it if it doesn't work out - and not lose too much.

Henri Sallinen
01-22-2015, 4:19 AM
Depends on the size of your laser. What I checked from Fumex website under laser engraving / cutting extractors all had a blower performance of under 220cfm. Epilog for instance has a minimum of 400cfm for even the smallest of it's lasers.

So I'd pass on this one.

Rich Harman
01-22-2015, 5:20 AM
I think it depends upon your machine. My understanding is that Epilog's high cfm requirements are because the exhaust serves a dual purpose - cooling and fume extraction. If it will be used with a water cooled laser then you just need to keep the cabinet clear.

Henri Sallinen
01-22-2015, 5:28 AM
Rich: Epilogs modern machines are cooled down by it's own cooling fans whilst older versions are dependant on the extractors airflow.

Wilbur Harris
01-23-2015, 3:27 AM
Maybe I can put a bigger fan in it...if it won't work well. It would seem if this was a fair/good exhaust unit that somebody would have one. Perhaps I haven't waited long enough to hear from those folks.

I heard what you said Henri - thanks!

I'm hoping that Rich's comment is somewhat accurate and that 220 cfm will be enough for my water cooled Chinese laser. I suppose we'll see!!! If nobody says otherwise, I'll give it a go and report what I find. I can open the door and run if it fails....don't know what my wife will do :) I suppose I can call her from my cell phone and tell her not to go out of her room.

Rich Harman
01-23-2015, 5:08 PM
I'm hoping that Rich's comment is somewhat accurate...

I feel that way all the time :-)